Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 19  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 519 »
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Some Desigs for my AUPosted: January 23rd, 2014, 2:06 pm
I have a suggestion: take my my rendition of the Brazilian Niteroi-class (mod. Type21) and apply the normal Type21 features, incl. bridge structure etc. The Type21 was, in fact, very much a "stretchable" design, allowing for the actual cost one would be prepared to put up with.

This base-design, does have some flaws though, looking at it more closely: The underwater hull needs to be adjusted for the greater length; i e the positioning of stabilizers and bilge keel. Also, if you decide to retain this hull, I strongly advice you to extend the strengthening girder amidships forward. I would also seize the opportunity to exchange the sonar to something more powerful (c.f. Type22s!) - and to balance the design, I'd move the personnel motor boat a few feet forward, adjacent with the mid-line or so, of the funnel. For the director for the forward SeaWolf, I'd skip the top superstructure design of the original Type21, level the bridge house roof, and move the director down-and-forward, to clear it from interference with the forward mast and its structures.

[Profile] [Quote]
swin_lad
Post subject: Re: Some Desigs for my AUPosted: January 23rd, 2014, 3:20 pm
Looking at the carrier I have been thinking about value for money. Ocean was designed to have a short life and is due out at the end of this decade. She was designed and built to commercial standards so doesn't have the same sort of longevity.

@ashwellkennedy

[Profile] [Quote]
shippy2013
Post subject: Re: Some Desigs for my AUPosted: January 23rd, 2014, 5:11 pm
The carriers are short term solution, the old majestics were knackdred, my country is planning to buy one or possibly 2 CVF to a similar design to the Queen Elizabeth and Prince of Wales and took Frances place when it pulled out comitting finances to the programme. Expected in service date is 2020 about which time my country will recieve its first f35b aircraft.
After this the oceans would either be scrapped, sold, have there ski jumps removed and be purely LPH's or who knows...

EDIT: I have changed my Majestic class carriers to Centaur Class as my chosen aircraft to operate from 1960's to 1990's would be to big and heavy for a majestic hull as informed by Trojan and bombhead.

Last edited by shippy2013 on February 6th, 2014, 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
swin_lad
Post subject: Re: Some Desigs for my AUPosted: January 23rd, 2014, 7:04 pm
In that time frame they may as well be retired, will be getting a bit long in the neck by then :)

@ashwellkennedy

[Profile] [Quote]
shippy2013
Post subject: Re: Some Desigs for my AUPosted: January 23rd, 2014, 7:22 pm
If current plans for HMS Ocean are correct she'll go in 2018 and will be 23 years old from launch mine would be 20 so might have a bit of life for other roles or another navy wanting a cheap platform. Cant find anything on what is in store for Ocean after 2018 but I would imagine the same fate as ark royal and invincible.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Some Desigs for my AUPosted: January 23rd, 2014, 7:27 pm
may I suggest updating the parts for the ocean if you are going to use her for AU use? the first thing that comes to mind is the LCVP's, these have been redrawn completely for the bulwark and albion. I might be wrong on that, but these might have the same davids as well as the ocean.

secondary are the radars, phalanx and RHIB, and the 4,5in gun on the type 21 mod.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Some Desigs for my AUPosted: January 23rd, 2014, 7:35 pm
Eh, hold your horses, ace, the radars doesn't need to be refitted on the Type 21, certainly not the directors.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Some Desigs for my AUPosted: January 23rd, 2014, 7:54 pm
the only thing about the type 21 what needs to be updated is the gun :P sorry for not being clear.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Some Desigs for my AUPosted: January 23rd, 2014, 8:12 pm
There we go, my friend! You're forgiven! 8-) :D

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: Some Desigs for my AUPosted: January 23rd, 2014, 9:24 pm
Shippy do the port side of Ocean too. I got some good shots of her from a river taxi when she was moored at Greenwich for the olympics, if you want them PM me. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 19  [ 186 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 519 »

Jump to: