Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
MihoshiK
Post subject: Russkified British SSNPosted: December 22nd, 2010, 6:11 pm
Something that came to me after drawing a version of the Russian Graney with the pump-jet from the Borei. What if the British would build a boat like htat?
A huge double-hulled SSN with VLS for cruise missiles, and a huge array of sensors, based upon the Vanguard hull, only shortened? Basically, what if the Cold War didn't end, and GB was still swimming in money for it's department of defense.

The following beast has six torpedo tubes with room for 36 weapons total, and six VLS cells with each six tubes for a mix of 36 Tomohawks and VL Harpoon. It also features a somewhat enhances Astute sensor fit and combat system. She's around 115 meters long. I'd say it's overkill time, except there is no such thing. There is only "Open Fire", and "Time to reload."

Anyone wanting this for their alt. universe project are welcome to it.

Underneath it the pump-jet Graney.

[ img ]

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Russkified British SSNPosted: December 22nd, 2010, 6:53 pm
Yodel :o :D

I hereby appoint you as resident Super Sub advisor for the Old Grey Funnel Line AU. This one is definately going into our AU (right Novice ;) )

I like it; no, I more than like it :D

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Russkified British SSNPosted: December 22nd, 2010, 6:59 pm
Hmmm...is there any advantage putting missile tubes up front Western style verses aft Russian style?

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Russkified British SSNPosted: December 22nd, 2010, 7:02 pm
I thought the the vertical launch tubes were aft (of the sail) ?

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Russkified British SSNPosted: December 22nd, 2010, 7:15 pm
Wouldn't there be less room for the torpedo/weapons room if mounted fore of the sail?

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Russkified British SSNPosted: December 22nd, 2010, 7:58 pm
Not sure; I thought Miho was using the (already) forward section, then inserting a plug to accept the verticle launch tubes?

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: Russkified British SSNPosted: December 22nd, 2010, 7:59 pm
MihoshiK wrote:
[ img ]
Hmmm
A extremely very interesting "own personnal design"
May be a "path/way" for the next future (REAL) british SSBN design (likely to carry only 8 nuclear missiles)

= Improved/enlarged Astute with 8 missiles tube amiship...

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: Russkified British SSNPosted: December 22nd, 2010, 8:31 pm
Portsmouth Bill wrote:

I hereby appoint you as resident Super Sub advisor for the Old Grey Funnel Line AU. This one is definately going into our AU (right Novice ;) )

Thank you for using the Overlord. May death come swiftly to her enemies.
Portsmouth Bill wrote:
klagldsf wrote:
Hmmm...is there any advantage putting missile tubes up front Western style verses aft Russian style?
I thought the the vertical launch tubes were aft (of the sail) ?
The Americans place the VLS in their Virginia SSNs in the nose, outside of the pressure hull. This leaves more room inside, but means your VLS has to be more hardened.
The British… Use tube launched weapons. This means you can be more flexible in your weapons load, but your salvo size might be less. Total weapons loadout between Astute and Virginia is the same. Note that the Seawolf also used tube launched missiles.
The Russians uses both in-hull VLS (like the Graney) and VLS placed between inner and outer hull (like Kursk).
That’s for various cruise missile VLS systems.

ICBMs are allways placed in-hull, aft of the sail. Except for, you know, Typhoon. But always in-hull.
Portsmouth Bill wrote:
Blackbuck wrote:
Wouldn't there be less room for the torpedo/weapons room if mounted fore of the sail?
Not sure; I thought Miho was using the (already) forward section, then inserting a plug to accept the verticle launch tubes?
Mounted fore of the sail like the Virginia class does not impact total torpedo stowage, simply because the VLS sits inside the ballast tanks, and not in the pressure hull.

As for the Overlord, I used a shortened Vanguard layout:

[ img ]

As you can see, the pressure hull starts immediately aft of the outer torpedo hatches, and then bulges out to the part where the missiles fit, only to taper again to the engine section. My idea is to make the entire forward part the weapons bay, capable of holding 36 torpedos or standard sized missiles. In the wider part we have room for the C&C facilities, mess, sleeping quarters and the VLS. Note that those do not go all the way down to the bottom of the hull, leaving room for storage, etc, underneath them. The pressure hull then tapers again to the aft part where all the engine space is located.
Even though you can use a lot of Vanuard hull sections, the inner layout would be quite different: This wasn’t really a cost saving measure.

Edit: Also, I moved the forward ballast tank water inlets aft, to make room for a chin mounted bottom sonar, so this puppy can move a bit easyer through the littorals.

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: Russkified British SSNPosted: December 22nd, 2010, 8:39 pm
Very impressive looking subs,very well drawn. 8-)

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Russkified British SSNPosted: December 23rd, 2010, 6:49 pm
Portsmouth Bill wrote:

Oh yessir! quite right. Excellent looking sub and a very good addition to the fleet.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 11 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: