Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 5  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 »
MihoshiK
Post subject: Canada, Tribal Class, LCF derivative.Posted: June 10th, 2014, 10:05 pm
So yeah, this just buzzed around in my mind. What if Canada didn't screw around on ordering those Iroqouis replacements?

Basically a lenghtened LCF, the main differences are the 64 cell VLS, the replacement of the 8 Harpoon canisters with 2 8 cell MK-41 self-defense lenght VLS filled with ESSM, and the WR-21 gas turbines replacing the Spey engines. Together with a redesigned gearbox the extremely efficient WR-21 gas turbines give the Tribal class a rather huge increase in range.
Apart from accomodating the extra weapons, the lengthening of the ship almost exclusively adds to the ships bunkerage and storage, to make the operational range and duration desired by the Canadian navy. The flight deck has been widened and lengthened, and a Bear Trap sytem has been fitted.
The only other real difference than was that the hull was partially made out of thicker gauge steel, to accomodate operations in the extreme northern parts of Canada's waters, with the shipyard preferring to use as much of the original LCF design as possible to lower design costs.

The APAR array is fitted to a Thales-Samsung I-Mast, and the SMART-L sits a few feet higher.

[ img ]

Tribal Class Specifications:
Type Air Warfare Destroyer
Crew 30 officers, 202 non-commissioned
Displacement 6,700 tonnes
Length 154.5 metres
Beam 20 metres
Draught 8.3 metres
Speed 30 knots
Range 17,600km (9,500 nautical miles)
Missiles 64 Cell Mk41 strategic-length VLS, SM-2MR, SM-2ER, LRASM, 16 Cell MK-41 Self-defense length VLS, ESSM
Guns 1 x Oto Melara 127/64 LW, 2 x Phalanx CIWS, 2 x 25 mm Typhoon-G, 6 x .50 cal guns
Torpedoes 2 x Mk32 Mod 9 two-tube torpedo launchers, Mark 46 torpedos
Helicopters 1 x Sikorsky CH-124 Sea King
Phased Array Radars Thales APAR Phased Array
Air Search Radar Thales SMART-L
Surface Search Radar 1 x Sea Watcher 100
Sonar 1 x AN/SQS-53C Sonar Array
ECM AN/SLQ-32, 4 x Rheinmetall MASS
Propulsion 2 x RR WR-21 gas turbines@ 28,800 hp, 2 × Wärtsilä 16 V26 Diesels @ 5,600hp, 2 x direct drive shafts

Last edited by MihoshiK on June 12th, 2014, 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Canada, Tribal Class, LCF derivative.Posted: June 11th, 2014, 12:46 pm
Very nice Miho.

Is there a reason for no credit line?

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: Canada, Tribal Class, LCF derivative.Posted: June 11th, 2014, 2:16 pm
TimothyC wrote:
Very nice Miho.

Is there a reason for no credit line?
Yes.

I forgot, that's the reason... :oops:

[Profile] [Quote]
Vossiej
Post subject: Re: Canada, Tribal Class, LCF derivative.Posted: June 11th, 2014, 4:28 pm
Looks very good, but I doubt it would be a viable replacement for the Iroqouis Class.

As the modern trend is to build ships at a lower price and equip them with various kinds of interchangeable weapon systems, especially with the future replacement of the ''City Clas'', I would think the Canadians would go for something like the FREMM. Despite this I very much love the LCF platform, but at an average price of 500 million euro's per ship (and I am talking 2000's era prices) I think it is a little bit to much. Also, the LCF's were built according to specific wishes of the RNLN.

Ofcourse, if we are talking about a design around the turn of the millennium, ignore all the above ;)

With that said, I am about to stop lurking this forum after 2 years and hope to make some useful comments in the future :)

[Profile] [Quote]
adenandy
Post subject: Re: Canada, Tribal Class, LCF derivative.Posted: June 11th, 2014, 4:51 pm
:o WELCOME BACK VOSSIEJ :!: Its a pleasure to see you back. I've admired a LOT of your previous works in the archive :)

Very nice looking ship Miho. Love the colour of your anti-fouling paint :D

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: Canada, Tribal Class, LCF derivative.Posted: June 11th, 2014, 5:52 pm
Vossiej wrote:
Looks very good, but I doubt it would be a viable replacement for the Iroqouis Class.

As the modern trend is to build ships at a lower price and equip them with various kinds of interchangeable weapon systems, especially with the future replacement of the ''City Clas'', I would think the Canadians would go for something like the FREMM. Despite this I very much love the LCF platform, but at an average price of 500 million euro's per ship (and I am talking 2000's era prices) I think it is a little bit to much. Also, the LCF's were built according to specific wishes of the RNLN.

Ofcourse, if we are talking about a design around the turn of the millennium, ignore all the above ;)
Oh, I know it's not a very feasible design, I just wanted to make it. Make a large-scale LCF I guess.

As for the City/Iroquois replacement, word is that it's probably going to be an Ivar Huitveld-type design. Who knows, the Canadians might even pick up APAR after all that time :D
Quote:
With that said, I am about to stop lurking this forum after 2 years and hope to make some useful comments in the future :)
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Vossiej
Post subject: Re: Canada, Tribal Class, LCF derivative.Posted: June 11th, 2014, 6:31 pm
Hehe, glad to be back guys.

For a long time I've been completely consumed by the University, but since a while the navy has been tickling the back of my skull again, so that's why I've started to revisit the forums again.

To bad to see that Alvama has left, although I completely agree with the actions taken here by the administrators, so no worries there ;)

Anyway, back on topic!

I really hope the Canadians will settle with a similar design as the Ivar Huitveld. I admire the Danish that they are able to construct a relatively low-cost platform with such outstanding SEWACO equipment, I guess we Dutch still have something to learn.

Maybe a Canadian Ivar Huitveld is in order..? :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Canada, Tribal Class, LCF derivative.Posted: June 11th, 2014, 6:42 pm
A Canadian Huitfeldt would certainly be an interesting proposition. Welcome back by the way Vossiej, my second favourite Netherlander!

[Profile] [Quote]
Vossiej
Post subject: Re: Canada, Tribal Class, LCF derivative.Posted: June 11th, 2014, 6:54 pm
Well.. damn :shock:

[ img ]

And a very interesting article on the matter:
http://www.navalreview.ca/wp-content/up ... m4art6.pdf

Even if something remotely related to this comes to show, the Canadians will lose their ''We are sorry, eh'' attitude for good!

PS. Was that article written by our Timothy C.?

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Canada, Tribal Class, LCF derivative.Posted: June 11th, 2014, 6:58 pm
too bad it makes so little sense :P (those VLS....... just no) amidships, like ivar huitfeldt, would make a lot more sense.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 5  [ 41 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 »

Jump to: