Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 16  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 516 »
David Latuch
Post subject: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-55Posted: July 10th, 2014, 8:53 pm
These are all new reworked drawings bellow while drawing the Bow/Stern Views I finally decided to fix a few thinks I didn't like--the catapults in the overhead viewand the gun pan size I had the Mk-51 directors in--so I fixed them.

I hope you like and enjoy these.

David

I’ve opened a new thread and started over.

As I continued to draw various ships both real and planning designs and sketches I’ve begun to learn quite a bit about USN battleship design prior to WWII.

This then is a “What if” scenario. :D (It's meantto be fun and a bit silly) :lol:

"What if there was no Washington Treaty" and we still scrapped the old battle wagons we actually did and not only built the 1920 South Dakota Class, but also went on to design and build the USS New Hampshire (BB-55) Class. This once again, this is merely a thought experiment based in the actual existence of the US Navy's prototype 18"/48 gun and the cancellation of the South Dakota Class due to the Washington Treaty. I’ve employed 6”/53s in turret mounts as planners examined the idea in 1918. Due to the beam required to support the weight and recoil of the main armament I have plenty of room to up the number of 6” three gun turrets to eight instead of the original 4. Her anti-aircraft support was 8-5”/25s on the boat deck. The superstructure is a slightly modified Tennessee Class. Because she was completed in 1926-27, she also was built with two afloat plane catapults. All things taken equally she is a remarkable modern ship.

The USS New Hampshire (BB-55) As Commissioned in 1926-27.
[ img ]

[ img ]

1934 Refit:

[ img ]

[ img ]

1941 Refit:

[ img ]

[ img ]

1942 Refit:

[ img ]

[ img ]

1944 Refit:

[ img ]

[ img ]

Fire Away.

Last edited by David Latuch on August 4th, 2014, 10:20 am, edited 8 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Wolfman
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: July 10th, 2014, 8:56 pm
No image...

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: July 10th, 2014, 8:58 pm
Wolfman wrote:
No image...
There is now. :oops: Sorry I missed the brackets! :)

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: July 10th, 2014, 9:49 pm
I'm on a crappy monitor right now, so I can't complain pixel-by-pixel, but in general I love it! I doubt the inclusion of torpedo tubes, but that's my only design complaint right now.

[Profile] [Quote]
WWII44
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: July 11th, 2014, 3:02 am
except for the muzzle blocks she looks good.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: July 11th, 2014, 4:42 am
I like her lines even if she does break USN design policy (must fit through Panama).

[Profile] [Quote]
WWII44
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: July 11th, 2014, 5:48 am
well seeing as the Germans widened the Kiel Canal to facilitate the movement of dreadnoughts I don't see what is stopping the US from widening the Panama Canal for the same reason.

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: July 11th, 2014, 6:32 am
They did plan to do it when designing the Montana class. The whole shebang fell through.

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: July 11th, 2014, 8:04 am
Very nice, David - but no cat on top of 'X' turret on the top view?

Regards,
Adam

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: July 11th, 2014, 8:31 am
Very impressive!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 16  [ 160 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 516 »

Jump to: