Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 9  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 59 »
acelanceloet
Post subject: Purple ChallengePosted: December 27th, 2014, 10:32 pm
The challenges of the past have been, IMO, a great success. However, we have now been some time without one active

The earlier challenges have seen some very interesting designs, but they were quite specific oriented on the NATO knowhow.

Because that was some bit of a complaint in the past, I have decided to start up a new challenge oriented on both sides of the iron curtain, but still 'strange' enough to all to be a challenge.

The goal of this challenge is to lay a bridge from red to blue and vice versa. There are nations, like for example India and Indonesia, which use Russian and western equipment next to each other. The goal is ships which have traits from both western and eastern influence on the design and systems. The rules are simple:
- At least 2 parts of the 'other side' as the base design
- The nation that commissions the ship may not be a nation that designs and builds the majority of their ships themselves. India or Venezuela are thus allowed, but the Netherlands or Canada not.
- Commissioned 1975-2005
- No kitbashes! Working from a base ship is good, great even, but if you slam a Kusnetsov superstructure on a Spruance hull you are not doing anything in the challenge. If you put the Kusnetsov radars and weapons on a Spruance hull, go ahead! :P
- keep it real. Something like India sailing Kirov’s with American radars is unlikely, so not much point in drawing that out.

I'd like to have a public choice and a team of 'professional' judges for this challenge. That means that in the end, all drawing will be put in a poll. In addition to that I would like to see at least 2 judges, one of them working in the blue influence and one in the red. That way these ships can be judged honestly. If anybody wants to do so, or if people want somebody to do this, just reply below ;) The winner will be the one to decide the rules of the next sb challenge (that is all the reward I can offer).

I hope I have hereby interested many people in the new challenge, so we can all learn about the systems and designs we often do know little about. Please help each other and I hope to find some interesting new designs!

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: Purple ChallengePosted: December 27th, 2014, 10:36 pm
Looks interesting :mrgreen:

Ok my first thoughts to bag a space :o :roll: my plan is a modified Korean Ulsan class frigate made just after the cold war with Russian weapons/sensors for The Vietnam People's Navy.

JSB

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Purple ChallengePosted: December 28th, 2014, 10:35 am
I'm in. Some kind of Anglo-Soviet design for India appeals to me but not sure exactly what yet.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Purple ChallengePosted: December 28th, 2014, 11:51 am
I can when I get home from my holiday.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Purple ChallengePosted: December 28th, 2014, 12:16 pm
I'm in, sounds cool

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Re: Purple ChallengePosted: December 28th, 2014, 8:02 pm
Hi everyone

I'd like to try - I have never done a contemporary ship and have little knowledge of modern electronics, but when I read this post I suddenly had a silly idea about how a 1970s/1980s one-off destroyer (like Ceaucescu's Muntenia) featuring a blend of French and Soviet equipment for some poor but prestige-conscious country might look (maybe Peru, or Egypt, or Ex-Yugoslavia). Such a vessel might even be useful for Thiaria at some point.

Is there any time limit?

Greetings
GD

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Purple ChallengePosted: December 28th, 2014, 8:12 pm
nice to see interest from people! all ideas so far sound interesting :P
the time limit will be like on the earlier challenges, when people say they are finished or will not finish, the challenge is done :P

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Purple ChallengePosted: December 29th, 2014, 5:03 pm
I can be the blue judge.

[Profile] [Quote]
Trojan
Post subject: Re: Purple ChallengePosted: December 30th, 2014, 7:04 am
I think I might have a few ideas.

References and feedback is always welcome!

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Purple ChallengePosted: December 30th, 2014, 5:06 pm
One question (mainly to Golly, but other E.Bloc experts too). Are there any updated missile and radar sheets to go with the last gun sheet?
It would be good to use the latest and best bits rather than having to recycle some stuff from eons ago.

This challenge might even stir me to rekindle some of my Soviet drawing ideas for 2015...

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 9  [ 89 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 59 »

Jump to: