Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 1 post ] 
Krakatoa
Post subject: Alternate Prinz EugenPosted: March 26th, 2015, 9:30 pm
I am still having fun doing 'Alternate' ships of various navies. Having redrawn a triple turret for the South American challenge, I thought it only appropriate that I use it on a purely German design. So I have altered a Prinz Eugen.

The Prinz Eugen was supposed to be the third unit of the Hipper class, but with all sorts of Treaties expiring and being totally ignored by others, the Kriegsmarine designers were told to increase the size and firepower of the next 3 units (Prinz Eugen, Seydlitz, Lutzow). A new triple turret in 203mm/8" gun size was produced and the dimensions of the Hipper class were increased accordingly to take the new turret. Dimensions increased from 667 (original bluff bow length before clipper bow added) to 717 feet, while breadth increased from 70 feet to 80 feet. The propulsion system rating went from 135.000shp to 140,000shp to retain the 32 knot speed. Extra bunkerage was allowed for to increase the range to 9,000 miles at 20 knots. The tertiary, AA, aircraft and torpedoes were retained in the same positions as on the Hipper type. Complement increased from 1380 to 1435.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 1 post ]  Return to “Personal Designs”

Jump to: