Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 8 of 14  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page « 16 7 8 9 1014 »
WWII44
Post subject: Re: Challenge "My Countries First Dreadnought" 1905-10Posted: July 26th, 2015, 1:20 am
Krakatoa wrote:
That looks better full size.

Have you got a few stats on size and armament?

Just for now the guns look too big for the turrets. The hull and superstructure look good. I am never sure on your trademark tall funnels. You like them, you keep them.
Her main guns are 12 inchers and she has a length of 264 feet(about 171 meters)

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Challenge "My Countries First Dreadnought" 1905-10Posted: July 26th, 2015, 1:53 am
The guns/turrets I have added are the equivalent UK and US turrets of the same period. You can see just how much bigger they are than yours. There is reasons for the turrets being so large. One of them is that the turrets sit directly on top of the turntable that allows the turret rotation. The turret needs to be heavy enough to keep it in position, you can read various battle reports of battleships rolling over and the turrets falling off the ship. Others where the ship has exploded and the turret is like a cork popping out of a bottle. The turret also needs to be big enough to take the recoil of the guns. The turret also acts as a support to the guns. If the guns stick out too far out of a small turret, think of it like a see-saw, your guns could pull the turret over, or when the guns are fired the turret could be blown off its roller path backwards.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
WWII44
Post subject: Re: Challenge "My Countries First Dreadnought" 1905-10Posted: July 26th, 2015, 5:06 pm
Krakatoa wrote:
The guns/turrets I have added are the equivalent UK and US turrets of the same period. You can see just how much bigger they are than yours. There is reasons for the turrets being so large. One of them is that the turrets sit directly on top of the turntable that allows the turret rotation. The turret needs to be heavy enough to keep it in position, you can read various battle reports of battleships rolling over and the turrets falling off the ship. Others where the ship has exploded and the turret is like a cork popping out of a bottle. The turret also needs to be big enough to take the recoil of the guns. The turret also acts as a support to the guns. If the guns stick out too far out of a small turret, think of it like a see-saw, your guns could pull the turret over, or when the guns are fired the turret could be blown off its roller path backwards.
I'll get to fixing it ASAP, while we're on the subject of turret size could you tell me if the size ok on this ship:
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Challenge "My Countries First Dreadnought" 1905-10Posted: July 26th, 2015, 6:39 pm
If you download the image from here:

http://www.shipbucket.com/images.php?dir=Real Designs/United States of America/BB-26 South Carolina.png (you may have to load the whole string into your browser)

you can look at the size of the appropriate US turret (12") equivalent to the turret you have on the Manassas.

[Profile] [Quote]
WWII44
Post subject: Re: Challenge "My Countries First Dreadnought" 1905-10Posted: July 26th, 2015, 7:29 pm
I made the appropriate adjustments to the Valiant, hope it will be sufficient.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Challenge "My Countries First Dreadnought" 1905-10Posted: July 26th, 2015, 8:07 pm
You have made the turrets about 18" (3 pixels) bigger when they could do with about 4-5 feet (8-10 pixels) more size. The people who design the turrets do make them the size they are for good reasons. Putting bigger turrets on your ship wont compromise its looks at all. If anything it will make it look meaner.

[Profile] [Quote]
WWII44
Post subject: Re: Challenge "My Countries First Dreadnought" 1905-10Posted: July 26th, 2015, 8:57 pm
Krakatoa wrote:
You have made the turrets about 18" (3 pixels) bigger when they could do with about 4-5 feet (8-10 pixels) more size. The people who design the turrets do make them the size they are for good reasons. Putting bigger turrets on your ship wont compromise its looks at all. If anything it will make it look meaner.
Valiant's turrets are now just lightly bigger than the Manassas' turrets(which you stated were within acceptable limits) so I think I'll keep them as is.

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Challenge "My Countries First Dreadnought" 1905-10Posted: July 26th, 2015, 10:33 pm
I did not state that the Manassas turrets were within acceptable limits. I gave you a link to check for yourself. The Manassas turrets are undersize as are the ones on the Valiant. If you want to keep them as is - then that is your privilege.

You post your drawing in Shipbucket then the other artists will critique your drawing and post their comments.

If the other artists do not find your drawing perfect and say so, then it is up to you whether you learn from their comments or not.

[Profile] [Quote]
WWII44
Post subject: Re: Challenge "My Countries First Dreadnought" 1905-10Posted: July 26th, 2015, 11:40 pm
Thank you for the advice I'll keep it in mind for future projects.

[Profile] [Quote]
Barsuk
Post subject: Re: Challenge "My Countries First Dreadnought" 1905-10Posted: July 29th, 2015, 10:03 am
[ img ]

Dimensions: 517.5 ft (wl) x 86 ft x 28.5 ft (norm)
Displacement: 21 914 t full load
Armament: 8x 12"/45 (4x2); 18x 4"/50 QF; 8x 2"/45 QF; 6x 18" Torpedo tubes
Armour: 12" Main Belt & Bulkheads, 8" Upper Belt & Casemates, 4" Ends, 12" Conning Tower, 0.75"-3" Decks, 2" Torpedo Bulkhead, 12" Main Turrets Face, 10" Barbettes
Machinery: Coal and oil fired water-tube boilers, steam turbines, 28 000 shp
Max Speed: 21,9 kn
Range: 7 200 nm @ 10,00 kts

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 8 of 14  [ 132 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 16 7 8 9 1014 »

Jump to: