Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 14 of 14  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page « 110 11 12 13 14
Muscatatuck
Post subject: Re: Challenge "My Countries First Dreadnought" 1905-10Posted: August 8th, 2015, 11:46 pm
ezgo394 wrote:
Muscatatuck wrote:
ezgo394 wrote:
Muscatatuck, might I ask where your Muscatatuck-class dreadnought would be operating when breaking ice? When I drew an icebreaker for Salide, I was told by Golly that a bow-propeller is only really used in the Baltic Sea. So, unless your dreadnought operates in that area, then there's no need for a bow prop.
That's strange as USCGC Mackinaw WAGB-83 uses a bow prop, although I will admit I have no clue what the uses would be other than maybe cavitate the water under the ice?
Once I get all of my AU sorted out and open the thread it'll be sorta like the Scandinavia peninsula off of Antarctica so there would be a body of water similar to the Baltic, but that the bow prop is by coincidence as I had no clue it was a Baltic thing.

Edit to ad this: From what I can collect from Golly's post only smaller bodies that don't allow ridge is the bow prop useful,so it could be useful in the AU then.
Actually, yes. I didn't read on further and Rodondo makes a good point here:
Rodondo wrote:
Golly's right, bow props is a Baltic thing and rather limited to where the ice is not built up, hence it would be handy in large lakes, seas with no permanent ice cover. Propellers would have a hard time shifting oceanic ice which can be many years old, especially in the Arctic which can be a few meters thick and rather immense
So yes, a bow prop would be useful in lakes as well when it does not have permanent ice cover. Sorry for the confusion.

No, I'm actually glad you brought it up as I never would have bothered to really look into it ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Tobius
Post subject: Re: Challenge "My Countries First Dreadnought" 1905-10Posted: August 8th, 2015, 11:57 pm
ezgo394 wrote:
Muscatatuck, might I ask where your Muscatatuck-class dreadnought would be operating when breaking ice? When I drew an icebreaker for Salide, I was told by Golly that a bow-propeller is only really used in the Baltic Sea. So, unless your dreadnought operates in that area, then there's no need for a bow prop.
There are other regions and nations where the bow prop is used to break ice. The Americans have used it since 1957 on the Great Lakes.
Quote:
The MACKINAW is literally land-locked, her size not permitting her to leave the Great Lakes. Built of steel, 'Big Mac's' length is 290 ft., beam 74 ft., draft 19 ft., displacement 5,252 tons, maximum speed 16 knots. A diesel electric power plant delivers 10,000 h.p. through twin screws in the stern and one in the bow. The bow propeller is employed to churn the water beneath the ice, changing its static buoyancy. The resulting combined forward and downward motion when the MACKINAW drives its great bow onto the ice makes the icebreaker capable of breaking through 4 feet of solid sheet 'blue' ice. The MACKINAW has also plowed through 37 ft. of 'windrow' (broken) ice. It is capable of cutting a channel 70 ft. wide to accommodate the largest of the Great Lakes ore carriers.
Either a Swedish or Russian invention, the bow propeller icebreaker has been in American service ever since 1957 at least, by the Russians before that, and by the Swedes as well. AFAIK it is used by the icebreakers in Alaska, so Antarctic use is theoretically possible?

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 14 of 14  [ 132 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 110 11 12 13 14

Jump to: