Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 6 of 14  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page « 14 5 6 7 814 »
nighthunter
Post subject: Re: Challenge "My Countries First Dreadnought" 1905-10Posted: July 17th, 2015, 3:27 am
Well, time I joined the party.

I present the UCAS Formidable-class Dreadnought Battleship:

[ img ]

Laid down: October 8th, 1906, Launched: March 13th, 1907, Sea Trials: November 21st 1907, Commissioned: December 30, 1907.
8x 12"/45 caliber guns mounted in 4 turrets, 16x 5"/50 caliber guns in single hull side mounted casemates, 8x 3"/50 caliber guns deck mounted.

Last edited by nighthunter on July 17th, 2015, 6:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Challenge "My Countries First Dreadnought" 1905-10Posted: July 17th, 2015, 6:37 am
That's a powerful looking dreadnought for its time Nighthunter. Looks great!

Uhmm the dates don't quite match up. Launched 07, trials 06...

[Profile] [Quote]
nighthunter
Post subject: Re: Challenge "My Countries First Dreadnought" 1905-10Posted: July 17th, 2015, 6:53 am
Fixed, good eye, Krakatoa, and thank you

[Profile] [Quote]
nighthunter
Post subject: Re: Challenge "My Countries First Dreadnought" 1905-10Posted: July 19th, 2015, 5:11 am
Here's the regional competitor to the Formidable class:

[ img ]

Her designers figured that the best way to design a ship was to present a small profile.

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Challenge "My Countries First Dreadnought" 1905-10Posted: July 19th, 2015, 7:18 am
I like the 'Russian' look Nighthunter, what would the armament be?

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Challenge "My Countries First Dreadnought" 1905-10Posted: July 19th, 2015, 11:52 am
Nice additions nighthunter, both your latest designs look very good.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
nighthunter
Post subject: Re: Challenge "My Countries First Dreadnought" 1905-10Posted: July 19th, 2015, 11:58 pm
Krakatoa, She is armed with 8x 28cm Guns in twin turrets and 16x 8.8cm in single gun casemates.

Hood, Thank you!

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Challenge "My Countries First Dreadnought" 1905-10Posted: July 20th, 2015, 11:26 am
With that light a main armament, I take it, it is a fairly fast ship.

[Profile] [Quote]
nighthunter
Post subject: Re: Challenge "My Countries First Dreadnought" 1905-10Posted: July 20th, 2015, 3:09 pm
Actually, she is rather well armoured, too, which slows her down. Mostly to defend against torpedo attacks, as the UCAN (seriously no pun intended) concentrates its forces on smaller craft such as Torpedo Boats, Submarines and Destroyers/Corvettes/Frigates. Before the invention of the steam torpedo, the UCAN concentrated its forces much like the Early Navy of the United States, no big Ships of the line, but rather smaller, faster, and well armed and armored vessels. Eventually I'll get back to that era with my AU, but being more of an idea guy, it's hard to do.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Challenge "My Countries First Dreadnought" 1905-10Posted: July 21st, 2015, 1:03 pm
Just a wip at the moment but story is as follows, in 1906 with the rise of the Dreadnought and other new ships that were ushered in, the VCN was obsessed with the concepts that followed. In 1904, they made an order for a slightly modified Warrior Class AC, which would arrive in early 1908, being HMVS Victoria (III), whilst this ship was supreme to just about anything not British or Australian Colonial within 4000nm, it was not a "be all and end all" ship that they were pining for. In 1909, a movement was made to build a small dreadnought, which gathered traction in the upper echelons of the VCN, leading to a proposal to Government to fund a design team to be assembled and a delegation go to London and pledge to the Admiralty and government to start the process. The Orion Class was selected, being not only new and the first of the super dreadnoughts, but mounting 13.5" guns and having superior range and speed to most fleet units at the time.

Scaling down the Orion Design, yielded Design A112, which was one of three designs put forwards, deemed most inclusive and offering more ship and capability for the relatively small coffers of the Victorians. However, it was denied later by the Admiralty and both Governments on cost grounds as well as manpower requirements, the funds allocated to further endeavors was instead passed into the second dry dock under construction in Williamstown.

[ img ]

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 6 of 14  [ 132 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 14 5 6 7 814 »

Jump to: