Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
Andrzej1
Post subject: AU SiagriaPosted: October 26th, 2015, 9:15 pm
This is my first SB drawing concerning my own AU world - The GW25-style cruiser. 20 000 tons displacement, speed 32,5 knots, range 4500 miles at 20 knots. Armament - four mk.XXVI 6-in guns, two Sea Dart launchers, two Sea Wolf launchers, one Ikara, eight Exocet launchers, two triple torpedo tubes, two 40mm Bofors guns.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: AU SiagriaPosted: October 26th, 2015, 9:55 pm
Welcome. Not a bad start. The idea isn't bad. But:

-the forward missile launcher are cramped.
- with two heavy 6" and missile launcher forward she is going to be bow heavy... Not so good.
- some shading issue here and there.
- it's normal for new people to shipbucket to start in the beginner section of the forum.

NB! I am seeing this on a mobile...

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: AU SiagriaPosted: October 26th, 2015, 10:00 pm
Sniped by the Norwegian, damn :o

That's a lot of firepower!

What immediately jumps to mind is that your C position Sea Dart has a very limited firing-arc and would best be there as a replacement for B turret or not there at all and then enlarge the bridge area for a SW launcher.
Secondly the SW launchers amidships could probably do with either brought out to the deck edge along with their associated below-decks reloading mechanisms unless you just want the 6 shots per side and then to manually reload them from elsewhere.
Thirdly, those bofors mounts could do with either being replaced with the contemporary mounts of the time OR replace them with RN specific 20/30mm guns.
Fourthly, Exocet could probably be moved from the quarterdeck and relocated in a fashion similar to the Lupo or Maestrale classes of frigates.
Fifthly, Ikara should be teamed with its own dedicated sonar IIRC for ranging and the like which is currently vacant from your design.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: AU SiagriaPosted: October 26th, 2015, 10:16 pm
To the above I would like to add the facts that there is quite a chance you want Ikara to be fired forward. Your forward firing arc looks limited at best at the moment.
I would also suggest a look in the belowdeck parts thread here: http://www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewto ... =16&t=2755 it often has more accurate parts and has the magazine and/or loader layouts for some of the systems you have on board, which have to be kept in mind when designing her

If I see it correctly, you also have lengthened the hull significantly. This has resulted in a stern shape that looks less than ideal as well :P the propeller shafts now look very long to come from the forward machinery room and the rudders might be on the small side.

When you post from photobucket, add '~original' behind the PNG between the image tags, IIRC this shows the full-sized image:
[ img ]
(The above is only correct when the image shows full-size as I put this there as a test, if it does not I recalled wrong.)

May I also suggest checking the RN parts thread, for example the Ikara launcher and Sea Dart launchers have been modified or redrawn for better accuracy. viewtopic.php?f=23&t=65

Final note is that it might be interesting to fit 4 type 909 directors as there are often 2 already on a single launcher ship. Another interesting idea might be fitting the broomstick radar, but this would result in a different ship entirely :P

Very nice drawing, interesting idea, but I want to see where you can shape her too with a bit more work ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Andrzej1
Post subject: Re: AU SiagriaPosted: October 27th, 2015, 9:05 am
heuhen, Blackbuck, acelanceloet, thanks to all of you for your opinion and hints! I have read your messages and that's I am going to do to improve this cruiser:
-Lenghten the bow and move the "C" position Sea Dart forwards;
-Move the Sea Wolf to the deck-edge;
-Place sonars for ranging and Ikara control;
-Replace Ikara and Sea Dart with more up-to-date drawings;
-Shorten the propeller shafts;

As for Exocets, I should say that I placed them on the quarterdeck in the Type 43 style - I thought it would provide better arc of fire to the Exocet. After you comments I have changed my mind and now I think that I'll have to remove the "B" position 6-in mk.XXVI (that's a pity because this is my favourite naval gun and I think that firepower comparable with Tiger-class cruiser will be profitable for NGS, AAW and close-quarters fight with enemy ships :oops: ) and place four exocets at the "C" position while the SD will be moved at the "B" position. The other four exocets can remain at the quarterdeck to provide better arc of fire.
As for the big stern and bow heaviness, I have realised that problem while drawing this ship, but I thought that weight of exocets, aft SD launcher, Ikara and their magasines would compensate the bow-weight.
And as for bofors - well, I think that bofors is much better than 20-mm guns because it can be useful to help the Sea Wolf to destroy incoming aircraft, also it is good for fighting small ships like FAC. I have also heard that Type 22 frigates had 40mm bofors at the Falklands.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: AU SiagriaPosted: October 27th, 2015, 9:33 am
The 40mm are manually controlled at this point which means their effect will be psychological more than anything else.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: AU SiagriaPosted: October 27th, 2015, 9:52 am
Andrzej1 wrote:
I think that I'll have to remove the "B" position 6-in mk.XXVI (that's a pity because this is my favourite naval gun and I think that firepower comparable with Tiger-class cruiser will be profitable for NGS, AAW and close-quarters fight with enemy ships :oops: )

Well If you have to start an close-quarter fight with a ship armed with missiles, then you have done something wrong. And ended up in a position you don't want to be in. A single 6" guns is more than enough. you get quit some firepower from it's two barrels and it loads automatically.

[Profile] [Quote]
Andrzej1
Post subject: Re: AU SiagriaPosted: October 27th, 2015, 5:50 pm
I have removed the "B" 6in turret and saw, that if I'll place four exocets behind the Sea Dart launcher (now placed to the 'B' position) I won't have to lenghten the stern. This is one variant (other fixes are new SD and Ikara, sonars and placing the SW to the edge of the deck), but I have another in progress, which includes features like longer bow and additional four exocets. As for the 988 "Broomstick", I think I can fit it, but tell me first which are advantages of that radar.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: AU SiagriaPosted: October 27th, 2015, 5:56 pm
Personally I would start by thinking through the history of your ship ?

When was it built, when is it depicted and has it been rebuilt in the image shown ?

This then could give you the date systems where added to the ship (and any taken off), I'm saying this as this hull looks early (as do 6") and the much later missiles radars, so it looks like a rebuild to me ? If it is then maybe think what would come off to fit the missiles etc ?

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: AU SiagriaPosted: October 27th, 2015, 8:01 pm
One remark concerning the credits. Original artist goes first, your name goes last.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: