Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 6 of 7  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page « 13 4 5 6 7 »
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Late 70s-80s Frigate designPosted: June 15th, 2016, 12:28 am
I just had a thought...

Maybe instead of NSSM, Naval Crotale? That seems pretty self contained, and shouldn't break the bank, so to speak. Question is, is the original version of the missile effective enough to justify the weight?

If it's close enough to cast a shadow, I think the flying house wins initiative.

Bronies are like the Forsworn. Everyone agrees that they are a problem but nobody wants to expend the energy rooting them out.

"That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way."

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Late 70s-80s Frigate designPosted: June 15th, 2016, 12:30 am
Yeah.... for some real-world grounding, the USN was somewhat unhappy with the final Perry design because it was over-armed for its displacement and offered insufficient future growth margin.

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Late 70s-80s Frigate designPosted: June 15th, 2016, 12:38 am
I always thought the Perrys were supposed to be cheap and nasty, and were shrinkwrapped around the bare minimum needed to get the job done. I've attempted to do something that isn't, and is a bit gold plated, without being entirely unfeasible.

If it's close enough to cast a shadow, I think the flying house wins initiative.

Bronies are like the Forsworn. Everyone agrees that they are a problem but nobody wants to expend the energy rooting them out.

"That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way."

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Late 70s-80s Frigate designPosted: June 15th, 2016, 1:16 am
[ img ]

This is a quick and dirty edit I did to see if the greater displacement would fit more with the weapons systems I want to carry.

[Profile] [Quote]
r3mu511
Post subject: Re: Late 70s-80s Frigate designPosted: June 15th, 2016, 1:58 am
^is the main gun forward, and fcr aft (for NSSM), going to be re-installed ? (it's a quick/dirty edit right so I guess you'll be putting them back? )
acelanceloet wrote:
the mini-STIR, the STIR 120, is an post cold war design (even post 2000 IIRC)...
IRL, stir-12 (aka sting) came out in 1987, so yup it's not a fit for this 70s-80s AU...
acelanceloet wrote:
... you also lost all heightfinding ability with the loss of the SPQ-9 IIRC ...
IRL the spq-9 does not have height-finding capab...

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Late 70s-80s Frigate designPosted: June 15th, 2016, 2:51 am
It's just a quick and dirty edit to get an idea of hull size needed. If I it is sufficient, then I'll replace everything and move around everything with the underwater part of the hull.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Late 70s-80s Frigate designPosted: June 15th, 2016, 4:12 am
I still see two different types of torpedo tubes..

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Late 70s-80s Frigate designPosted: June 15th, 2016, 5:29 am
*Facepalm* That's because I happened to grab a piece of hull from earlier drawing that still had them. All the above is being used for is to suggest something closer to the right size for all the stuff I'm trying to cram into this thing. I could use a black outline and it would still serve that purpose... If the experts think this is the right size, then I'll rework all the details back.

[Profile] [Quote]
citizen lambda
Post subject: Re: Late 70s-80s Frigate designPosted: June 15th, 2016, 9:23 am
Obsydian Shade wrote:
I just had a thought...

Maybe instead of NSSM, Naval Crotale? That seems pretty self contained, and shouldn't break the bank, so to speak. Question is, is the original version of the missile effective enough to justify the weight?
Might be worth the change if it turns out cheaper and lighter than the NSSM. This would correct the very slight range gap between SM1 and ESSM by replacing the altter with a shorter-ranged self-defense SAM. If you stick to a 70s tech level, your Standard-MR will be either RIM-66B/E with 47km range. The early RIM-7H for NSSM has a given range of around 20km, which gives a lot of overlap.
Again, if the NSSM and Crotale are equivalent in cost and weight, go for the higher capability, since your ship is on the gold-plated side by design.
If you go for Crotale, don't forget you'll need one Castor-II designator, which appears to double as a gun director.

[Profile] [Quote]
r3mu511
Post subject: Re: Late 70s-80s Frigate designPosted: June 15th, 2016, 10:30 am
^in friedman's "world naval weapon systems" 1997 ed., he gives rim-7h range as 12 kyd or ~11 km...

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 6 of 7  [ 69 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 13 4 5 6 7 »

Jump to: