Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ] 
Skibud1998
Post subject: Skibud's WorkshopPosted: September 28th, 2016, 4:08 pm
So, I have been lurking around here for a long time, taking in inspiration and ideas. I thought it be time to show what I have made. I should say what I like to make, I am centered in Ocean Liners and Cruise Liners. I occasionally design warships, but that's occasionally. Other than that, I will show some ships I made myself. I already criticized myself with these designs but knowing you guys, I am sure I will get great advice! :D

[ img ]
This is the first design I made, but I didn't get to appealed to the bow so I made another version.

[ img ]
This is thew second version with an old fashion bow.

This ship is called the Anastasia-Class by the way! haha Let be know what you guys think! :)

Working on currently:
  • French, Bretagne, First Rate → Attaching the Sails (FD Scale)
  • French, SS Normandie, Ocean Liner → Detailing the Hull (FD Scale)
Planned works:
  • American, Wyoming, Schooner → Blueprint (FD Scale)
  • American, USS Pennsylvania, First Rate → Blueprint (FD Scale)
  • American, SS United States, Ocean Liner → Blueprint (FD Scale)

[Profile] [Quote]
citizen lambda
Post subject: Re: Skibud's WorkshopPosted: September 28th, 2016, 5:21 pm
Welcome to the Bucket!
Looking forward to see more of your work. These liners look fine to me, which doesn't prove much as I don't know the first thing about vintage liners (what era are these supposed to be anyway?).
I'll assume you have done your homework and refrain from asking how the stacks are supposed to hold at that angle only with the cables around them.
One last thing about the design itself: what is the extended bow in the original version for? Somehow I don't see a liner ramming cargo or passenger ships from concurrent shipping lines...

The art itself looks mostly up to scratch at first glance. The shading of the hull and the stacks does the job without too many different shades.
There are a couple of things you might want to tone down to push your style towards the accepted guidelines:
- Fill the continuous parts with a single tone (e.g. hull sides). The bottom hull going progressively darker is too photographic for Shipbucket.
- Though they do add relief, the weld lines on the hull and superstructure should probably not be visible at that scale. Ask yourself if details like these weld seams are bigger than a half-inch.
- Windows tend to get a unified blueish hue to show the glass pane and tell them apart from open holes.
- Railings also have a standard size and pitch, as their realistic representaiton is mostly impossible
- Finally, never save your drawings as .JPG pictures. Ever. You can see the compression blur around the lines without even zooming. My advice is: work in .BMP and convert to .PNG at the last moment to avoid any unwanted compression.
There are a couple of other things with the screws and the hull shading that may be discussed but are IMO more of a matter of personal style.

Keep up the good work!

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Skibud's WorkshopPosted: September 28th, 2016, 9:01 pm
Welcome aboard, and as mentioned above it is a fine liner, which looks to be of the 1920's, which means a steamship, most probably coal-fired. That means much more ventilators around the funnels, and some coaling ports at the sides, near the water line.
A Shipbucket rule stipulates that all ships are viewed from starboard only. This is to say that the bows of the ship are pointing to the right side of the screen (just the opposite from your drawing).
As said earlier never use .jpg format for your drawings, the get re-sized and also get clattered with "ghost-pixels" especially near the drawing itself (the term is used to describe these nearly pure white pixels which don't really show to the naked eye).
I would also suggest using the right template and credits lines on your drawings, as it is, your drawing is more fitting with the Non-Shipbucket Drawings thread.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Skibud1998
Post subject: Re: Skibud's WorkshopPosted: September 29th, 2016, 12:13 am
Thank you guys, I'll try to implement these ideas/tips into the way I make these ships! I usually save to .png so, no need to worry about that. Also usually I write a ton of info on these ships I make since I usually post on DA and or DeviantART. When I made this ship I wanted to implement the modern bulbous to the bow to make the ship have an easier time plowing through those waves! When I put the funnels or stacks on, I realized that they look to be mostly toward the bow leaving that empty space mid-stern. I thought well if the Boiler rooms were further back then it make sense but I also have to worry about the shaft rooms. But, for future ships, I will flip the bow to make it on the starboard side, or I can make the whole ship then mirror it haha!

Working on currently:
  • French, Bretagne, First Rate → Attaching the Sails (FD Scale)
  • French, SS Normandie, Ocean Liner → Detailing the Hull (FD Scale)
Planned works:
  • American, Wyoming, Schooner → Blueprint (FD Scale)
  • American, USS Pennsylvania, First Rate → Blueprint (FD Scale)
  • American, SS United States, Ocean Liner → Blueprint (FD Scale)

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs”

Jump to: