Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 3  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 »
heuhen
Post subject: Stealth Corvette (sort of Visby style)Posted: March 14th, 2017, 1:03 pm
Norway are going to retire Skjold class within 2020-2024, mostly due to the operational cost, compared to what you get. It's to expensive to drive around with an purpose build offensive warship, that can't do so much other operational things, etc.

So what if there was an replacement. I have been thinking about that for a while, and the only thing that gets close to Skjold class is Visby class.

- designed with either a flex deck or combined flex and armament deck.
- Rather big C&C, few ships but with big operational task.
- Rather medium large armament package. almost like an frigate (dwarf)
- A combination of Diesel and gas turbine engines, with some battery drift and limited fuel cells capability
- Highly automated

Length: 70 meter
Beam: 9.9 meter
Propulsion: Diesel, gas and fuel cell
Speed: max 45+knots
Range: ?
Crew: 8 - 40 (depending on operation)

Radar/sensor:
Smart-S "build in weather protection"
1-2 X STIR 180
Navigational radar
towed sonar (both passive and active) (depending on flex deck layout)

Armament:
1 X 57 mm
1 X Mk48 Mod 3 (either with 6 or 4 VLS launcher, depending on ship layout)
2 X quad NSM launcher
2 X quad TT-launcher

Helicopter deck (depending on ship layout)

Drawing not 100% finished!
[ img ]

Not happy with radar mast, suggestion

Last edited by heuhen on March 17th, 2017, 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
1143M
Post subject: Re: Stealth Corvette (sort of Visby style)Posted: March 14th, 2017, 2:26 pm
Visby class is 72.7 m long and 10.4 m wide,your ship have smaller size and large more weapons. It's unreasonable.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Stealth Corvette (sort of Visby style)Posted: March 14th, 2017, 2:59 pm
@1133M, Actually it's on par with what the Visby could/should have been with 12xSAM & 4xSSM,the visby has less SSM and more SAM but the weights should be close, though the TT's see to be high

@Heuhen, maybe a mast like the La fayette class? Other than that it's a neat corvette

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
superboy
Post subject: Re: Stealth Corvette (sort of Visby style)Posted: March 14th, 2017, 3:09 pm
Personally, change Smart-S to NS 100 with or without Integrated Mast System :lol:

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Stealth Corvette (sort of Visby style)Posted: March 14th, 2017, 5:17 pm
Superboy, I like that idea so well that, I'll just keep it. It would most likely make it cheaper to

[Profile] [Quote]
sebu
Post subject: Re: Stealth Corvette (sort of Visby style)Posted: March 14th, 2017, 5:47 pm
Good work heuhen; you're back ;) I personally like the first (left) one. Perhaps a bit more stealthier gun?

[Profile] [Quote]
reytuerto
Post subject: Re: Stealth Corvette (sort of Visby style)Posted: March 14th, 2017, 7:24 pm
Hi Heuhen:

Oh! The Skjold is an amazing warship! Packs a very powerful missile armament and is very but very fast! Its retirement is a pity!
Your vessel is a small wonder, the flex deck is a modular deck for different functions (missile, minewarfare, opv)? May I ask what is the machinery section which is under the gun magazine? Thanks and cheers (with my appologies if I asking something that is obvious).

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Stealth Corvette (sort of Visby style)Posted: March 14th, 2017, 8:15 pm
sebu wrote: *
Good work heuhen; you're back ;) I personally like the first (left) one. Perhaps a bit more stealthier gun?
Each for there task.

You are always allowed to steal my ideas ;)
reytuerto wrote: *
Oh! The Skjold is an amazing warship! Packs a very powerful missile armament and is very but very fast! Its retirement is a pity!
It's expensive to operate high tech vessels. That is good for only one thing... "WAR". Yes she can be first out there in emergency situation, but she is not designed for that type of operation. But if she was larger and designed more as an multirole corvette, just like the Norwegian frigates... then perhaps.

The other reason for the Retirement is that the MLU for here is "DAMN" expensive
reytuerto wrote: *
Your vessel is a small wonder, the flex deck is a modular deck for different functions (missile, minewarfare, opv)? May I ask what is the machinery section which is under the gun magazine? Thanks and cheers (with my appologies if I asking something that is obvious).
Flex deck is for any type of operation, giving the ship a more multirole capability. on line with Danish "Support"-frigate

The machinery section under the gun is an generator room, in case if the aft engine room is knocked out. "always nice to have backup"

[Profile] [Quote]
1143M
Post subject: Re: Stealth Corvette (sort of Visby style)Posted: March 15th, 2017, 1:07 am
Rodondo wrote: *
@1133M, Actually it's on par with what the Visby could/should have been with 12xSAM & 4xSSM,the visby has less SSM and more SAM but the weights should be close, though the TT's see to be high

@Heuhen, maybe a mast like the La fayette class? Other than that it's a neat corvette

You write my name wrong

Let see the examples of real ship,Israeli Sa'ar 5-class corvette Load the most weapons in the same type of corvette,It have 1,227 tone ——twice your design size and have serious problem of overweight.Don't forget your ship need sail on The Baltic Sea which have bad sea conditions.Do you know about Japanese torpedo boat Tomozuru?You are building a same one and will sink as same way.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Stealth Corvette (sort of Visby style)Posted: March 15th, 2017, 3:10 am
I'm not aware of the Saar V being drastically overweight, slightly maybe but nothing too concerning. I assume Heuhen you are going with a lightweight topsides of composite or aluminium construction? It's weapon load-out doesn't weigh much more than what the Visby, I personally don't see much of a glaring issue.

If it were made of steel it'd be of a similar displacement to the Saar V actually

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 3  [ 24 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 »

Jump to: