Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 2  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2
gral
Post subject: Re: Superfiring Nassau class battleships 1909-10Posted: June 21st, 2017, 10:39 am
Tempest wrote: *
Great drawing Krakatoa, I'm not sure though, it seems 'too modern' for the time frame.
acelanceloet wrote: *
I have no idea why they first used beam turrets and later superfiring, I would have to look into that.
The Germans were worried at the time the the superfiring turrets would somehow damage the other turret below, also (I think) there was the worry of the turret crew becoming incapacitated. The other concern was one direct hit could put both turrets out of action.
Also, the triple-expansion machinery of the Nassaus took up a lot of space, so there wasn't enough length on the ship to have superfiring turrets - i.e., the powerplant crowded out most of the turrets to the beam.

[Profile] [Quote]
seeker36340
Post subject: Re: Superfiring Nassau class battleships 1909-10Posted: January 8th, 2018, 9:27 am
Other German BB/BC of the time and later had the secondary armament a deck lower

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 2  [ 12 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 1 2

Jump to: