Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 15 of 15  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page « 111 12 13 14 15
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Treaty Cruiser Design ChallengePosted: May 29th, 2018, 1:42 am
It's looking good, very nice progress!
Quote:
They are there to supplement the 5' guns. You have four anti aircraft directors covering 360°.
This is not really worthwhile on a ship with only four 5" mounts (two directors would be perfect and reduce weight).

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: Treaty Cruiser Design ChallengePosted: May 29th, 2018, 7:04 am
pepembr_mb wrote: *
The date is 1935 and the ship is in a Third World country to counter the Argentinian Admiral Brown heavy cruiser. In all Argentinian Navy there was only three floatplanes able to reconaissance duties. In the Brazilian Navy there was only one one torpedo bomber squadron able to coastal duties.
In 1935 having 24 (minimum could easily be 28) 20mm is somewhat excessive I would think like 8 would do? Pre radar a float plane or two for spotting is very important, especially with so much empty ocean to search.
Quote:
To give her a better arch of fire.
But I'm not sure it gives much without the 20mm getting in the way and if you really want good arcs you have lots of space on the centreline for two of the mounts? Say one super firing the stern main and one where your centre director is now?
Quote:
They are there to supplement the 5' guns. You have four anti aircraft directors covering 360°.
You have 6 or 7 directors (3 main and 3/4 DP) this is going to be very expensive, I would try and cut it down to say 2 of each?

[Profile] [Quote]
pepembr_mb
Post subject: Re: Treaty Cruiser Design ChallengePosted: May 31st, 2018, 6:11 pm
The date is 1935 and the ship is in a Third World country to counter the Argentinian Admiral Brown heavy cruiser. In all Argentinian Navy there was only three floatplanes able to reconaissance duties. In the Brazilian Navy there was only one one torpedo bomber squadron able to coastal duties.
JSB wrote: *
In 1935 having 24 (minimum could easily be 28) 20mm is somewhat excessive I would think like 8 would do? Pre radar a float plane or two for spotting is very important, especially with so much empty ocean to search.

To give her a better arch of fire.
But I'm not sure it gives much without the 20mm getting in the way and if you really want good arcs you have lots of space on the centreline for two of the mounts? Say one super firing the stern main and one where your centre director is now?
You have 6 or 7 directors (3 main and 3/4 DP) this is going to be very expensive, I would try and cut it down to say 2 of each?
Believe it or not, the Brazilian Navy suffered an air attack in 1932. The Sao Paulo State Constitutionalist Revolutionary Air Force attacked the government Santos Harbour blockade with no result. I'm using this experience in my alternative Brazilian Navy ships. I added a condenser to give more details about the directors position:

[ img ]
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 15 of 15  [ 143 posts ]  Return to “Drawing Challenges” | Go to page « 111 12 13 14 15

Jump to: