Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 2  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: USCG Harbor class 296ft CutterPosted: April 11th, 2018, 3:09 pm
Quote:
1. AAA: Originally it was equipped with the 1.1" AAA, the Bofors was meant as an update, thought it was fleet-wide at the time. OOPS! Will return it to the 1.1".
1.1" quad for a USCG cutter is still pretty dubious to me, I don't think these ships would receive AA machine cannons larger than 20mm Oerlikons (and even then not for a while).
Quote:
2. Ah, again, thanks for the information. I'll make sure to update them. As to the .50 cal's there's only the water-cooled .50's on the newest parts sheet... so? I'll keep digging for the newer stuff.
There was no other type of shipboard .50-cal available at the time - the watercooled mounts I've drawn were fitted to all ships.
Quote:
5. The irony of the Harbor-class is that they were designed for interdiction, and the planes were to be used to scout for motherships that the bootleggers used, that would usually anchor just barely in International waters. There was talk about secretly extending US Territorial waters when it involved these motherships, or fudging their location to make the capture "legal". The planes could also scout ahead if running to intercept a bootlegger and to notify authorities on the location of the drop. This thus makes the Harbor-class invaluable as an ASW vessel as it can launch its plane to track a U/I-boat to help the vessel sink it with depth charges.
I think it makes sense, if anything it makes these ships a little different than the other cutters that actually saw service.
Quote:
8. I thought about that, but felt that the Mk.33 could also be used to direct the 3".
I'm a bit shaky on this but from what I've seen this director could only control 5" guns. It would have to be rebuilt to compute for the different ballistics of the 3" shells. You could direct the 3" guns with a lightweight man-operated director like the Mark 51, but this drawing is a bit too early for those directors anyway. I imagine your 3" mounts would be directed locally or using range inputs from a short-base tactical rangefinder located somewhere on the bridge wings. Later on you could fit a Mark 52 director on the bridge as on the DEs to direct your 3" mounts.
Quote:
10. If I recall correctly, Rails and rigging are the same damn color and it would be a complete pain in the ass to color one and not the other :P
I made a camo tutorial on youtube for using photoshop to do this easily: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdlCCB3ncSE but may not be super suitable to you if you're not using layers.

[Profile] [Quote]
nighthunter
Post subject: Re: USCG Harbor class 296ft CutterPosted: April 13th, 2018, 3:59 pm
So, as discussed on discord, I've updated the Harbor-class.

[Profile] [Quote]
nighthunter
Post subject: Re: USCG Harbor class 296ft CutterPosted: April 15th, 2018, 4:48 am
New update on Page 1!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 2  [ 13 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 1 2

Jump to: