Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ] 
Tempest
Post subject: 40cm (16in) Armed Bayern Class BattleshipPosted: January 12th, 2019, 5:35 pm
While researching SMS Baden, I found in the book "The Kaiser's Battlefleet" by Aidan Dodson a reference to designs that were put forward for a Bayern class armed with eight 40cm (16in) guns.

I've always wanted to draw a Baden armed with such guns, now I have. There is no change in the layout of Baden except that he is armed with 40cm guns and is appropriately larger to accommodate such an armament. A class of ships such armed would have significantly upped the ante for the Royal Navy.

I've added the real life drawing of Baden for comparison.

Baden Design Armed With 40cm (16in) Guns
[ img ]

Baden As Built (1918)
[ img ]

German Capital Ship Projects of The First World War

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: 40cm (16in) Armed Bayern Class BattleshipPosted: January 12th, 2019, 9:38 pm
Well drawn Tempest.

As to upping the ante for RN. In time Germany built 2 15/16" BB's, the RN built 10 with 15" (+BC's). The RN would still have overwhelmed the HSF.

Its interesting that such a type was put forward for consideration. I drew a similar design for a BB series with the 16.5" guns you drew in the parts sheets with similar reasoning. The only way the Germans could offset the British numerical advantage is to have superior ships in protection and firepower.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: 40cm (16in) Armed Bayern Class BattleshipPosted: January 13th, 2019, 11:33 am
An interesting concept for sure.
Not sure it would have made much difference in the end to the fate of the HSF or the ability of the German shipyards to complete all four ships. In fact the larger guns might have been more of a drain on the stretched resources of the gun makers but it is an interesting design what-if.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs”

Jump to: