Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
CaptainPaulov
Post subject: Concept Sovjet Modern Ocean LinerPosted: May 16th, 2020, 12:47 am
So after falling in love with the SS Normandie and a couple of years of stalking great work here on Shipbucket (in particular the ocean liner challenge), I decided to get back into it by designing my first ocean liner. The lore, if you will, that I had in mind for this ship is that the Soviet Union decided to counter Britains Cunard's QE2 with a ship of their own by drawing inspiration from what can easily be described the most beautiful ship in the world, the SS Normandie.

I may modify it in the future, and suggestions and criticism are welcome.
[ img ]

Updates at my DeviantArt.

[Profile] [Quote]
1143M
Post subject: Re: Concept Sovjet Modern Ocean LinerPosted: May 18th, 2020, 5:48 pm
Interesting idea~
I tried to reset the ship,Added the details for you
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
CaptainPaulov
Post subject: Re: Concept Sovjet Modern Ocean LinerPosted: May 18th, 2020, 8:59 pm
Oh my word! Thats incredible! I am at a loss for words, your version looks amazing @1143M.

[Profile] [Quote]
1143M
Post subject: Re: Concept Sovjet Modern Ocean LinerPosted: May 25th, 2020, 5:16 am
[ img ]

Fixed some details.

[Profile] [Quote]
reytuerto
Post subject: Re: Concept Sovjet Modern Ocean LinerPosted: May 25th, 2020, 12:30 pm
Nice drawing! The glazed part of the superstructures is amazing, 5 stories high! May I ask what is the little "beak" (my appologies for lacking the correct terminology) in the stern, just under the water line? Thanks and cheers!

[Profile] [Quote]
CaptainPaulov
Post subject: Re: Concept Sovjet Modern Ocean LinerPosted: May 25th, 2020, 1:46 pm
reytuerto wrote: *
Nice drawing! The glazed part of the superstructures is amazing, 5 stories high! May I ask what is the little "beak" (my appologies for lacking the correct terminology) in the stern, just under the water line? Thanks and cheers!
I suspect I know why 1143M used it. From what I know, correct me if i'm wrong, that beack is the ducks tail. This feature is used extensively in cruise ships to reduce pitch motion. Rounded sterns, like those found on ocean liners, streamline and make the vessel more efficient my making water "think" like the vessel is longer than it actually is, therefore reducing the turbulence and allowing higher speeds.

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Concept Sovjet Modern Ocean LinerPosted: May 25th, 2020, 1:52 pm
CaptainPaulov wrote: *
reytuerto wrote: *
I suspect I know why 1143M used it. From what I know, correct me if i'm wrong, that beack is the ducks tail. This feature is used extensively in cruise ships to reduce pitch motion. Rounded sterns, like those found on ocean liners, streamline and make the vessel more efficient my making water "think" like the vessel is longer than it actually is, therefore reducing the turbulence and allowing higher speeds.
Acting much the same way as transom sterns.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: Concept Sovjet Modern Ocean LinerPosted: May 25th, 2020, 6:51 pm
... ok where are those jets in this Sovjet ship. :D

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Concept Sovjet Modern Ocean LinerPosted: May 25th, 2020, 7:54 pm
Generally speaking, the drawings are delightful. From a more fundamental standpoint, it might be worth thinking about how a Russian/Soviet large liner might differ from its US/UK/French counterparts. From where and to where would it sail? What would the customer base look like, and what would they expect? What accommodations should be made for, e.g., foul weather in the far north? Would she need to handle light ice, or worry about the topweight of ice accumulation on all of the exposed lifeboats and balconies?

I don't have ready-made answers to any of these questions :)

[Profile] [Quote]
1143M
Post subject: Re: Concept Sovjet Modern Ocean LinerPosted: May 26th, 2020, 3:07 am
erik_t wrote: *
Generally speaking, the drawings are delightful. From a more fundamental standpoint, it might be worth thinking about how a Russian/Soviet large liner might differ from its US/UK/French counterparts. From where and to where would it sail? What would the customer base look like, and what would they expect? What accommodations should be made for, e.g., foul weather in the far north? Would she need to handle light ice, or worry about the topweight of ice accumulation on all of the exposed lifeboats and balconies?

I don't have ready-made answers to any of these questions :)
Cruise lines are mainly located in the Black Sea Mediterranean,Serving the Black Sea Shipping Company,Port of registry in Odessa。The cruise ships serve for convalescent workers and foreign tourists。No icing conditions in cruise ship activity area。

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 11 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: