Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 3  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Norwegian Parts and weapon etc.Posted: March 27th, 2012, 6:54 pm
I can't, because I don't have the faintest idea of what you're trying to say! That's the point!

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Norwegian Parts and weapon etc.Posted: March 27th, 2012, 7:15 pm
The first passive array that can do what an active array? The impression I got from the brochure on the kongsberg website was that it is a whole system not just one sensor?

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Norwegian Parts and weapon etc.Posted: March 27th, 2012, 8:23 pm
Blackbuck wrote:
The first passive array that can do what an active array? The impression I got from the brochure on the kongsberg website was that it is a whole system not just one sensor?
Yes it's a whole system. but I only draw that part of the system some can be seen on SB drawings.

I meant: "The first passive array that can do the same operation as an active array." something.

But I will change the text to.

MSI-90U Mk2
Sonar as seen on Ula class submarine.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Norwegian Parts and weapon etc.Posted: March 27th, 2012, 8:39 pm
If it can do the same thing as an active array isn't it then, by definition, not a passive array any more?

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Norwegian Parts and weapon etc.Posted: March 27th, 2012, 8:50 pm
If I am not remembering wrong it was something about the targeting by using the passive sonar...

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Norwegian Parts and weapon etc.Posted: March 28th, 2012, 4:07 pm
That's something the USN has been doing since the 1950s, so it seems unlikely to be a unique feature...

[Profile] [Quote]
Eeo
Post subject: Re: Norwegian Parts and weapon etc.Posted: July 19th, 2012, 5:19 pm
MSI-90U is a combat management system, not a sonar system. Yes, it uses input from the sonars on the ULA-class (French-made sonars, to be replaced by new Norwegian-made sonars from Kongsberg), but it is a weapons control system, not a sonar system. The current sonars on the ULA-class are Atlas Elektronik CSU83, with a Thomson Sintra flank array sonar.

Heuhen is correct in that the sonars on the ULA-class are passive in nature. The only active sonar array the class have are the underwater navigation sonar, which is used for navigating submerged inside fjords and littoral waters.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Norwegian Parts and weapon etc.Posted: August 11th, 2012, 9:27 pm
After I have got some information over the phone, but i hop i can get a complete drawing of this system if my man remember.

[ img ]
sorry for spelling problem i'll fix them tomorrow if it is a big problem.

[ img ]

He told me something funny, ASROC is bigger system and has it firepower and range but Terne III ASW has a big advantage and that is it is silent when it hit the water. He told me when the ASROC hit water it make so much noise that a submarine have time to go to action, but with Terne III it know about the vessel but it can't her the Terne III coming specially in bad weather. But and it is a big but, modern Sonar can most likely her the Terne III ASW be launched from the ship. So what do we chose long range but noisy when hitting the water and moving to the target, or short range and no noise (some noise is there always)? are you in Norway Terne III is perfect, in the ocean, only when it is talking about close in defense or trying to take out torpedoes.

[Profile] [Quote]
Trojan
Post subject: Re: Norwegian Parts and weapon etc.Posted: August 12th, 2012, 1:35 am
The Terne 3 has always interest me and I've always wondered what the US did with the systems the bought

References and feedback is always welcome!

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Norwegian Parts and weapon etc.Posted: August 12th, 2012, 1:49 am
Trojan wrote:
The Terne 3 has always interest me and I've always wondered what the US did with the systems the bought
almost nothing. the major (Kongsberg and Norwegian navy limited them from destroying a perfect system) different is the weather shield.

Note: I have heard that HNoMS Narvik once fired a test Terne 3 and it had some changes to it systems, but it managed 2000 meters instead of those 1600 meters. and with today's rocket fuel, 3000 meters is not far away (I think).

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 3  [ 30 posts ]  Return to “Parts Sheets Discussion” | Go to page « 1 2 3

Jump to: