Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ] 
sabotage181
Post subject: mk26 and 48E antennaPosted: August 4th, 2013, 3:14 pm
this is my submission for the MK-26 launcher. This is how the launcher is situated most of the time. was wondering if anyone would want it this way.
The addition to the 48 antenna is a reference antenna that is next to the IFF antenna. I believe it was to protect the front end of the receiver from nearby high power RF emitters, I am checking into its exact purpose, but it is on all 48 antennas

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: mk26 and 48E antennaPosted: August 4th, 2013, 3:31 pm
For the antenna that is up to the US-Part-sheet bosses to cheek on their list.

For the launcher, we draw them in ready position mainly...

http://www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=23

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: mk26 and 48E antennaPosted: August 4th, 2013, 3:44 pm
it was decided, back when I drew the belowdeck part for it, that the current Mk 26 was within the limits to be considered accurate. the details, shape and size are all good, so I do not see the need for an new part for it. there might be some talk about this though, as I am not the one to decide this, but as long as I have not seen an size chart for the Mk 26 which shows her sizes really accurate (like we had for the redrawn Mk 13) or proof that the current Mk 26 is wrongly sized, my opinion is that we do not need any changes to it.
also, I completely disagree with the foot you put on it, I have never seen any Mk 26 on an large platform raised above the deck.

the rules of shipbucket also say that weapons are shown in horizontal position if they can reach that. when there are weapons on the rail, the Mk 26 is often in horizontal position, so that is not really an stretch. the position you have shown is stowed and is the position in which it can directly load missiles and fire.

also, you are stating that antenna is on all SPS-48 antenna's. is this the SPS-48E variant only or all versions?

[Profile] [Quote]
sabotage181
Post subject: Re: mk26 and 48E antennaPosted: August 4th, 2013, 5:34 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
it was decided, back when I drew the belowdeck part for it, that the current Mk 26 was within the limits to be considered accurate. the details, shape and size are all good, so I do not see the need for an new part for it. there might be some talk about this though, as I am not the one to decide this, but as long as I have not seen an size chart for the Mk 26 which shows her sizes really accurate (like we had for the redrawn Mk 13) or proof that the current Mk 26 is wrongly sized, my opinion is that we do not need any changes to it.
also, I completely disagree with the foot you put on it, I have never seen any Mk 26 on an large platform raised above the deck.

the rules of shipbucket also say that weapons are shown in horizontal position if they can reach that. when there are weapons on the rail, the Mk 26 is often in horizontal position, so that is not really an stretch. the position you have shown is stowed and is the position in which it can directly load missiles and fire.

also, you are stating that antenna is on all SPS-48 antenna's. is this the SPS-48E variant only or all versions?
this is strange to me ace, because every MK-26 installation I've ever seen looks like this (on a pedestal). In fact, its so pronounced that we once had a talent show aboard. All the acts were done right in front of the aft gun, and the captain and judges were sitting on that pedestal.

I took these pictures on board the USS Virginia CGN-38

forward MK-26 launcher
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

AFT MK-26 launcher
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

These are various pictures from around the net

USS Mississippi
http://www.navsource.org/archives/04/1140/04014016.jpg

USS Yorktown
http://www.navsource.org/archives/04/1148/04014814.jpg
the forward launcher's pedestal is not as pronounced as the Virginia's probably because of the higher bow angle, but the aft launcher appears to be the same as Virginia's

EX-USS Callaghan
http://www.navsource.org/archives/05/0599417.jpg
This is a really good, clear digital image

As far as (for lack of a better word) the reference antenna it is for sure on all Charlie and Echo models of the 48 and I say this with 100% confidence as a former 48 Tech. I am not sure about the A model as I've never seen one.

And I just noticed that there is one more part sticking up off the antenna next to the one I've draw....argh. I was thinking there was something else there but I could find no evidence until I looked at that USS Mississippi picture I referenced above for the MK-26 launcher. So I'll re-draw it...hold on a sec 8-)

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: mk26 and 48E antennaPosted: August 4th, 2013, 5:45 pm
if you look at the railing, you see that this pedestal is exactly 2 pixels high. not 5, like it is on your drawing. and thus, it's height on the drawing we currently have is correct. we might enlarge the platform a bit forward and aft, but that would be good from an modification of the current drawing, and not for an redraw, IMO.

EDIT: as a point of interest, on the tico you can see the cause of this platform: it cancels out the sheer at the bow launcher.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]  Return to “Parts Sheets Discussion”

Jump to: