Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 6 of 8  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page « 14 5 6 7 8 »
citizen lambda
Post subject: Re: USN World War II Components Master Sheet and ReferencesPosted: May 3rd, 2016, 6:54 am
Impressive. Good work sorting out the different gun director assemblies like that.
One note though: a quick googling to find out how the early ECM looked like immediately turned up two different sources (pic from 1945.04.14) where the "double cone" name was assigned to AS-57/SPR-1 instead of AS-56 and vice versa. Since both share the SPR-1 system name, how significant would that be?

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: USN World War II Components Master Sheet and ReferencesPosted: May 3rd, 2016, 1:32 pm
Oops, labeling error on the sheet. It's the other way around as you noticed.. transposition error as I put antennas onto the organized sheet from my drawing canvas sheet. Good call.

Very easy to go nuts drawing the small stuff...

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: USN World War II Components Master Sheet and ReferencesPosted: May 3rd, 2016, 5:25 pm
Went ahead and compiled a list of links to the various USN drawing threads I could find (at least the ones I could find easily). I know there are a lot more from other people - if people can post them here I'll add them to the OP. So many of my drawings need an update... :(

[Profile] [Quote]
pepembr_mb
Post subject: Re: USN World War II Components Master Sheet and ReferencesPosted: January 5th, 2017, 2:00 pm
I noticed there is no design of the Mk38 semi-open mount used in Farragut and other allied destroyers, including Brazilian Amazonas and Mariz e Barros classes. Here is my proposal:

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: USN World War II Components Master Sheet and ReferencesPosted: January 5th, 2017, 2:48 pm
Cool. I kind of purposefully left out the different marks and mods of the 5" guns in use during the time just because there are so many of them. TimothyC did a small sheet a while ago - maybe he can repost it here? My intention with the sheet in the OP is to standardize the more obscure radars, electronics, shipboard equipment, and the light AA guns that were so prevalent.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: USN World War II Components Master Sheet and ReferencesPosted: January 5th, 2017, 3:46 pm
I have this one:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/887 ... a50081.png

I don't know if it was Colo or TimothyC that did that one

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: USN World War II Components Master Sheet and ReferencesPosted: January 5th, 2017, 6:45 pm
Thank you so much for that! I've been working on a Farragut drawing for a while now. Hopefully I can show it to you guys tomorrow.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: USN World War II Components Master Sheet and ReferencesPosted: April 14th, 2017, 1:39 am
Updated versions of the Mark 33 and Mark 34 directors added to the sheet in the OP. A long time coming.

The Mark 33 was probably the most difficult piece of equipment to draw properly since there seems to be hardly any good information on it around the internet and a lot of the existing drawings in other formats are just... wrong. Mine were created from yard plan measurements and cross referenced between a few different sources. It's important to note that these seem to be different between almost every ship so these should just serve as a general reference. For what it's worth, they're drawn based on the examples retrofitted to the Pensacola class cruisers in 1943 and 1944 (which I believe came from some of the pre-war DDs, but can't remember for sure). The pattern of ladders, cross-railings, top blisters (to accommodate radar equipment), and viewports changes ship to ship. I still need to do the open-top versions of the director shield, but can't find any good measurements. Radar setups include the early Mark 4 "FD" and the later Mark 28. Thanks to erik_t and David Latuch for some good reference materials.

The Mark 34 was fairly straightforward (drawn also from yard plans and a Floating Drydock pamphlet with the original measurements). I've identified two marks of the director shield; the first is the "early" type, which is much larger than the later version, and seems to have been fitted only to the Brooklyn, Wichita, and early Cleveland classes. The second is the Shield Mark 7 Mod.0, fitted to everything else (later Clevelands, Baltimores, and some of the refitted Standard BBs). Radar setups include the usual main battery fire control radars (Mark 3, Mark 8, and Mark 13).

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: USN World War II Components Master Sheet and ReferencesPosted: April 14th, 2017, 9:47 am
Nice work Colo! I'm sure it'll come handy for some of those never built designs i'm busy drawing. A friend of mine provided me with an archive of like 100 drawings.

I think many of the larger calibre guns need to be updated though. I can't find suitable 8" guns the Penscacolas used for instance.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: USN World War II Components Master Sheet and ReferencesPosted: April 14th, 2017, 7:46 pm
Eh, I would recommend drawing those on an as-needed basis. A lot of the larger mounts were built specifically for each ship and differed in dimensions and external fit sometimes. I think it's reasonable to draw standard parts for gun calibers below 6", but above that starts to get a little dicey. If someone were to draw Pensacola for instance they may end up having to completely rework a pre-made turret because it doesn't fit exactly, etc.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 6 of 8  [ 79 posts ]  Return to “Parts Sheets Discussion” | Go to page « 14 5 6 7 8 »

Jump to: