Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ] 
Navybrat85
Post subject: Janes Fighting Ships of WWIIPosted: April 28th, 2013, 5:10 pm
I have a reprint of "Janes Fighting Ships of WWII" I was going to use to look for some Real Designs to draw...but from the boards here I've heard Janes has some major flaws, and frankly being a reproduction a lot of the photographs are horrible (It even acknowledges this fact in the book's forward). Would I be best served to A. Find a ship in the book, and then B. find workable reference drawings from the Internet?

[Profile] [Quote]
Erusia Force
Post subject: Re: Janes Fighting Ships of WWIIPosted: April 30th, 2013, 4:04 pm
To my knowledge, Japanese warships in Jane's fighting ships have incorrect details since they are older renditions. I'm not so sure as to the British, American, and German ships though.

[Profile] [Quote]
Navybrat85
Post subject: Re: Janes Fighting Ships of WWIIPosted: May 1st, 2013, 4:12 pm
I think the approach I'm going to take with Jane's is, find the ship in the book, find the drawing sources elsewhere. Your post combined with others I've seen leads me to think the name and class are probably somewhat legit, everything else might be questionable in the book. And compared with the pictures, the line art in the book is definitely lacking.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Janes Fighting Ships of WWIIPosted: May 1st, 2013, 4:43 pm
Janes Figthing Ships of WWII is a photographic reproduction of Janes 1938-1945 IIRC and as such it's limited to what the public knew at the time, hence the rather vague drawings of some of the classes. Heck, some of them are little more than qualified guesswork. It's still a very interesting book to read though.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]  Return to “Sources and Reference Drawings”

Jump to: