Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
Rodondo
Post subject: Request for reference material for RAN cruisersPosted: May 27th, 2014, 2:06 am
I've got a few pictures of HMAS Encounter, and the two Pelorus class ships from wikipedia, HMAS Sydney (I) but does anyone have anything else a little more detailed? *looking at mike for his usual supply of brilliance*

Also as per requested, any source material for HMAS Australia (II), HMAS Canberra (I) and HMAS Shropshire would be equally welcome

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

Last edited by Rodondo on May 27th, 2014, 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
LEUT_East
Post subject: Re: Request for reference material for RAN cruisersPosted: May 27th, 2014, 2:43 am
I have a large amount of RAN reference material at home. Will have a browse after work today and get back to you. I did have a brilliant book on RAN Cruisers but I have since donated it to my local RSL Branch for their historical archives.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Request for reference material for RAN cruisersPosted: May 27th, 2014, 2:52 am
Thanks LEUT, much appreciated!

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
LEUT_East
Post subject: Re: Request for reference material for RAN cruisersPosted: May 27th, 2014, 6:59 am
http://www.navy.gov.au/hmas-encounter-i
https://www.awm.gov.au/units/unit_10622.asp

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
LEUT_East
Post subject: Re: Request for reference material for RAN cruisersPosted: May 27th, 2014, 6:59 am
http://www.dontforgetthediggers.com.au/ ... lImgID=138

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Request for reference material for RAN cruisersPosted: May 27th, 2014, 7:04 am
Already got those ones I'm afraid, drawing up the Encounter badge as I type ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
graham
Post subject: Re: Request for reference material for RAN cruisersPosted: May 27th, 2014, 10:33 am
Rodondo
I have I think got about every drawing /picture of Australia II that I could find the Webb drawing stuff from the Victoria state Library look for the green ship picture collection if you haven't been there you are in for a welcome surprise
I have been trolling through the her Reports of Proceeding trying to figure what was done during WW2 - a interesting task !! btween late 1942 1946 the photo records not good !!
Please sent me PM, I have 338mb of stuff, easier if I slip in a CD to
Note this I missing the data on here fit out on return to Australia in 1946 after the UK refit I cant find my up to date copy @#$#@
HMAS AUSTRALIA Refit and A and As fitted during WWII

31AUG39 to 02SEP39
Sydney Cockatoo
Repairs to ships hull caused by wharf oil fire
27SEP39 to 28SEP39
Sydney Cockatoo
Tilt Test and Inclination test

5JAN40 to 08JAN40
At Sydney Cockatoo Dockyard
18APR40 to 21APR40
Melbourne (dog town was dock big enough?)
18NOV40 to
Docked in Brocklebank Graving Dock Liverpool
01DEC to 27DEC1940
At Brocklebank Graving Dock Liverpool (note from the Report of Proceedings (ROP) they appeared to been bombed quite regularly while in dock to the extent that both ships cats did a runner! The ROP states “It is regretted that both ship’s cats deserted the ship some time on Friday night and have not been seen since.”

02JAN1941 to 07JAN41
At Canada Dock Liverpool
Changed port outer propeller (damaged while leaving Brocklebank Graving Dock)
Other A& As

13MAY41 to 19MAY41
Docked Sydney Repairs to A bracket (photo leaving Sydney about this time shows Radar type 286Pfitted)
Trials 30May off Sydney.

01DEC41 to 05DEC41
Docked Simonstown SA

06JUN1942
Sydney Cruiser Wharf GID
Fitting of R.D.F,. certain refitting work

06JUN1942 to 17JUN42
At Sydney
For Fitting of R.D.F.
NOTE No details but fitting of 7 Oerlikons may have been carried out ? they are visable on photos taken of her during Battle of the Coral Sea.

27OCT42 to 26NOV42
At Sydney
NO DETAILS in ROP but Post Salvo Island fighting mods fitted, Torpedo tubes landed, replaced by 2 Oerlikons Port/Starboard side Believe that Quad .5 replaced by 2 Oerlikons , 2 more Oerlikons may have been added to after end of Aft control position, additional diesel generators fitted.

ROPs missing from AWM collection

07FEB44 to 07MAR44
Refit at Garden Island
During the refit the following work was undertaken
(a) Installation of Radar Type 231 (misprint 281?)
(b) Aerial array for F.C. radar (USN type) installed on aft Director but set is yet to be fitted by Ships Staff.
(c) Tripod masts fitted
(d) Aircraft plot (temporary installed)
(e) Fitted new Condenser doors
(f) Alterations and Additions and defect items as time permitted
(g) All 8” guns changed
(h) One Bofors and two Mark VIII 2 Pdr. Pom Poms fitted – 3 Oerlikons surrendered.
(i) Ship Docked and repairs to after peek completed
09MAR44 Inclining Experiment carried out as a result ACNB order A/C Catapult to be surrendered but was allowed to be used in harbour and fwd areas but to be disembarked during operations

28JUL1944 to 26AUG44
At Sydney major A&A where
(a) Installation of two Fox-Dog radars with associated Auto barrage units (American Fire Control Radar fitted on HA director )
(b) Construction and installation of Bridge receiving and Cypher rooms
(c) Shifting of ARL plot and SG radar to old Wheelhouse
(d) Shifting of Commodore’s and Captain’s sea cabins to upper bridge
(e) Fabrication of target indicating room and the installation of a S.G. PPI and armament bearing instruments as the basis of a temporary TIU
(f) Fitting of a Comfort Cooling System in the Sick bay.
(g) Progressing extra ventilation on the Lower Deck
(h) Progressing the fitting of watertight valves in the exiting ventilation system

(i) Removal of the Starboard Crane, Upper section of the Catapult platform, Depth Charge Rails and the substitution of 3, 25 foot diesel motor boats for the exiting motor boat, Barge, one cutter, one Whaler, one Skiff.
(k) Fitting of 8 in number Bofors 40 MM in place of 6 Oerlikons and two Pom-Poms (two on quarterdeck, replacing 20mm in former TT position and two in P&S bridge on B gun deck:- my best guess)
(l) Bomb room and Depth Charge magazine were converted to Bofors ammunition stowage. NOTE.- The net result of items (i), (k), (l) is the removal of about 60tons at upper deck level
(m) Fitting of Type 57 W/T Transmitter
(n) Type A T 13Ctransmitter was placed on board for fitting by Ships Staff
(o) Fitting of 2nd TBS
(p) Completion of installation of F.C Radar on Aft Director.

03NOV44 to 30NOV44
At Espiritu Santo
Battle damage repair Foremast, director repaired
3 more Bofors and 6 more Oerlikons fitted the latter fitted with MK XIV sights, a TEN Unit Intercoms system fitted, After Search Light and tower removed, The Emergency Conning position was greatly improved.

No records in the ROP
From photograph records State Library of Victoria CH Green Collection, RAN heritage collection on return to Australia

I need to find my upto date copy #$$@###

By 1948 the Australia had been re-commissioned as a training ship and its short range AA had been reduced and re-arranged, the two vacant position fwd of the bridge had quad 40 mm in them and the quad 40mm in that replaced Y turret had been replaced by a twin 40mm the two twin 40mm and the two singles 40mm amidships P & S had been removed as had the two Mk7 singles 40mm on the quarterdeck. This information is taken from a photo of her when she return to Australia from the A C Green photo held in the State Library of Victoria H91.325.2314

Graham

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Request for reference material for RAN cruisersPosted: May 27th, 2014, 10:45 am
Thanks for the answer Graham, this is Rowdy's undertaking not mine, just added his request for information to my OP

[Profile] [Quote]
Rowdy36
Post subject: Re: Request for reference material for RAN cruisersPosted: May 27th, 2014, 2:28 pm
Thanks for the info Graham, once exams are finished I hope to get stuck into doing the RAN Counties properly :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Request for reference material for RAN cruisersPosted: May 29th, 2014, 9:26 am
Rowdy, if you need, I can take some pictures of pictures in a book which contains high res images of Canberra under construction as well as a few other relevant pics

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Return to “Sources and Reference Drawings” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: