Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ] 
Graham1973
Post subject: Mystery Italian(?) Battleship - Pre WWIPosted: April 16th, 2016, 10:29 am
The four images below were located on a spare harddrive, I believe they originated on the old Warship Projects 3.0 board and are calculations (In Italian) on notepaper from a German hotel for a three funnel, 8x15inch gun battleship. I have no further information beyond what is contained in the images, but thought it worthwhile making it available to the wider community. Hopefully someone can bring these pages to life.

[ img ] [ img ]

[ img ] [ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Graham1973
Post subject: Re: Mystery Italian(?) Battleship - Pre WWIPosted: April 17th, 2016, 1:46 pm
Did a quick look at a couple of those pages (The one which seems to have the basic stats and the one showing the layout of the boilers/turbines.)

This is what I could get out of them.

Weight: 28,000 tons
Engine power: 50,000 - 60,000shp
Speed: 25 knots(?)

Main Armament: 8 x 15 in guns (Twin Turrets)
Secondary Armament: 16 x 6 in guns (Single mount casemates)
Tertiary Armament: 16 x 3 in guns (Single mount (?))

Engine details: Three turbines driving four shafts. Looks as if the designer had not decided just how many boilers the ship was going to use.

The other thing is that if I am interpreting the diagram showing the ships layout/side armour correctly then this ship has cage masts which I though was a US affectation only, any ideas?

This is all pretty preliminary if someone out there can read Italian, it could be very helpful in getting full use out of these images.

[Profile] [Quote]
Lazer_one
Post subject: Re: Mystery Italian(?) Battleship - Pre WWIPosted: April 18th, 2016, 5:39 pm
It is a drawing made by Luigi Orlando (the founder of Cantieri Orlando) and, probably, is the preliminary sketch of Caracciolo-class battleship.

Lazer_One's Worlist - Updated 2021

Documentation is always welcome here

Lazer_One's Blog

[Profile] [Quote]
Graham1973
Post subject: Re: Mystery Italian(?) Battleship - Pre WWIPosted: April 18th, 2016, 6:13 pm
Thanks for that identification. I had a quick look at the details on Wikipedia and there do seem to be some differences between what is in the sketches and the article, most notably in the power plant layout and the armament.

Also as I've noted, the sketch depicts US style cage masts, the Wikipedia sketch shows pole masts. Could this be a rival proposal or were the builders thinking of selling to the 'ABC' powers in South America.

[Profile] [Quote]
Keisser
Post subject: Re: Mystery Italian(?) Battleship - Pre WWIPosted: May 28th, 2016, 10:49 am
Wow! That's an interesting project, I'll try to make my own ship based on it.

[Profile] [Quote]
Graham1973
Post subject: Re: Mystery Italian(?) Battleship - Pre WWIPosted: May 29th, 2016, 4:50 am
Keisser wrote:
Wow! That's an interesting project, I'll try to make my own ship based on it.
Thanks, looking forward to seeing the results.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: Mystery Italian(?) Battleship - Pre WWIPosted: May 29th, 2016, 2:11 pm
Lazer_one wrote:
It is a drawing made by Luigi Orlando (the founder of Cantieri Orlando) and, probably, is the preliminary sketch of Caracciolo-class battleship.
The same that main battery's did serve as coastal defense in WWII?

[Profile] [Quote]
Keisser
Post subject: Re: Mystery Italian(?) Battleship - Pre WWIPosted: June 9th, 2016, 2:20 pm
Graham1973 wrote:
Thanks, looking forward to seeing the results.
I did it.

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Mystery Italian(?) Battleship - Pre WWIPosted: June 9th, 2016, 7:27 pm
Keisser - No you have not drawn that ship!

That drawing being a pre-design sketch of the Italian 15" dreadnoughts qualifies as a 'never-were' drawing and could be uploaded to the main archive as such. What you have drawn is just an impression of what YOU think the drawing looks like and holds no real resemblance to the original sketch, which for a start has 3 funnels. The original drawing here would date from 1912 to 1914 and relies on the twin 15" from the Italian Vickers works.

[Profile] [Quote]
Keisser
Post subject: Re: Mystery Italian(?) Battleship - Pre WWIPosted: June 10th, 2016, 5:02 pm
Krakatoa wrote:
Keisser - No you have not drawn that ship!
I did not tend to make a Italian "never-were" battleship. I said that my next work will be based on this blueprint - I did it. It was misunerstanding. I am sorry if I brought you difficulties with my AU-ship-based-on-this-post.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]  Return to “Sources and Reference Drawings”

Jump to: