Post subject: Re: Dreadnought AltPosted: February 9th, 2014, 8:23 pm
Hi Karle94,

Real Dreadnought
Length: 527 ft (160.6 m)
Beam: 82 ft 1 in (25.0 m)
L/B = 6.43

Mine
L 502 / 72 = 6.97

so mine has higher (therefore faster ?) L/B ratio ? unless depth has much to do with it (but thats quite close so dont think so) ?
JSB

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Dreadnought AltPosted: February 9th, 2014, 8:56 pm
A higher ratio does not actually make it faster in it self, just easier to push. The most immediate effect is fuel economy, which becomes better. The draft also influences the need for power. The deeper the draft, the more ship needs to be pushed.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Dreadnought AltPosted: February 9th, 2014, 9:05 pm
draft might have something to do with it, as well as the L/B (L/B is just one of the very many parameters that define friction)
block coefficient and displacement has something to do with it as well, but it has more to do with the parameters that are defined by the above: wet surface, forward surface, the roundness of the ships shape and the effectiveness of the propulsion.
these are not easy to grasp by formula's, but are often defined with coefficients, such as the Cb, Cp, Cwl, Ca, L/B, B/T, L/T.

because of that, friction is hard to grasp in one parameter.

[Profile] [Quote]
Syzmo
Post subject: Re: Dreadnought AltPosted: February 10th, 2014, 4:36 pm
I agree with Hood, I love the look of this especially compared to USS South Carolina. The layout and number of primary and secondary guns is very similar, the only major difference is that your ship will be faster. Maybe this Dreadnought wont be relegated to the channel fleet.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." Thomas Edward Lawrence, The Seven Pillars of Wisdom

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 4 of 4  [ 34 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4

Jump to: