Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ] 
mcas1987
Post subject: Large Cruiser HBMS Aven, first step towards visualizing my Balican AUPosted: December 9th, 2020, 1:00 am
[ img ]

Credit to Hood's Manchester, for the ship searchlights and AA gun tubs, Portsmouth Bill's Belfast for the torpedo compartment, Dalamace for the bilge keels from their S-511-38, and KHT for the improved 254mm/45 turrets.

HBMS Aven, Aven-class large cruiser

Displacement 15,329 tons standard; 18,597 tons full load
Length 214.1 meters oa, 210 meters wl
Beam 22 meters
Draught 7.4 meters normal / 7.85 meters deep load
Max Speed 32.2 knots
Range 10,000nmi@15kts
Power Plant 8 Admiralty Boilers, 4 Parsons Geared Turbine sets, Four Shafts, 100,000SHP
Armament
F/A(2)4 Bofors 254mm/45
2P&S/2P/2S(2)6 4.5in/45 MkI
2P/2S(2)4 M1936 40mm/60
P/S(4)2 533mm TT w/ 4 MkIX Torps
Armor 152mm Belt, 60mm armored deck above belt, 25mm Torpedo bulkhead, 254mm conning tower, 175mm main turret faces and barbettes, 95mm main turret sides
Aircraft
2 Aft Catapult, Hanger, 3 SOC Seagull
Complement 1200

Designed to serve as ersatz capital ships for the Royal Balican Navy, the two Aven class large cruisers were built to form the core of the RBN's Battle Force along with the modernized WWI era Battlecruiser Queen Charlotte. Prior to Balica's entry into World War II, Aven and Redones served in neutrality patrol duties in the Eastern Atlantic and Bay of Biscay. Following Balica's entry in late 1941, Aven and Redones first saw action during Operation Torch. They then spent 1943 alternating off on duties in the Mediterranean and the Bay of Biscay, with Redones notably leading a force to intercept German destroyers in the Battle of the Bay of Biscay in December '43. Early 1944 saw their aircraft catapults beached to make space for more 40mm Bofors, and then supported Operation Overlord, providing gunfire support for the landings at Normandy and the push on Cherbourg. Later in 1944 Aven supported Operation Dragoon, and in 1945 Redones sailed with the British Pacific Fleet in support of various operations against the Japanese.

[ img ]

Post war, Aven and Redones alternated off on active and reserve commissions. In 1953 Aven completed a significant refit upgrading her to act as full fleet flagship, with an enlarged bridge taking the place of the forward 4.5"/45 mount, all medium and light AA replaced by 5 twin Mk33 3"/50, and mounting a LW.02 long range air search set, and served in this role until decommissioned in 1962. Redones then remained in reserve until 1959, when she was then taken in for major rebuild, where all armament except for the two forward 254mm/45 was removed. In place of this, a Mk7 GLMS with 46 Talos missiles was mounted aft, along with associated radars to provide long range air defence for the RBN's new light carrier King Edward. 4 twin 3"/70 were also mounted in place of the midships secondaries for close range air defense. This refit was completed in 1962 and Redones served in this role until 1973, when the new Williamsport-class guided missile cruisers entered service. After decommissioning in 1973, Redones was then turned into a museum ship in Redones Harbor, where she remains to this day.

Original image
[ img ]

Worklist:
Cold War Balican Naval Ships

Last edited by mcas1987 on December 18th, 2020, 1:04 am, edited 6 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: Large Cruiser HBMS Aven, first step towards visualizing my Balican AUPosted: December 9th, 2020, 4:51 pm
Design wise, it looks solid. Always a fan of large cruiser designs. I'm curious about the armour though, with the rest of the stats being rather high.

In regards to the drawing, there's a bit of a way to go. Some of the parts are obsolete(drawing wise). The screws in particular belong to a parts sheet almost loathed nowadays. You could nick them from some other drawing - I'd suggest the Baltimore or Des Moines class of the US navy, since they'd be of a similar size to your ship, but the general rule would be to draw your own. The main turrets look very old, and don't particularly follow the SB style, in that sharp angles are marked by a dark grey line, rather than just a shift in the shading. There is also very little shading when it comes to overhang, one of the distinct features of the Shipbucket style. I'd advice taking a closer look at the style guide here.

I've actually got a drawing of a Bofors-produced 254mm/45 gun turret from a now defunct AU project of mine. Feel free to use and modify it. And ignore the pink line between the barrels in the top view.
[ img ]

The... can't think of the technical term for it... the thing above the foremost screw should be outlined in black. It would be thick enough to warrant a three-pixel thickness, and singular non-black lines are generally implied to be thinner than the 6" a single pixel is in SB style drawings. Unless you're making railing or wiring, it's generally better to stay away from it until you've mastered the style. On that note, there's a pixel error just above the waterline at the bow, where there's a spot in the forward curve which has double black thickness, which you want to stay away from, except in cases outlined in the style guide.

The white on the flags should be portrayed by a very light grey, or off-white, say very light tan.

If you've used any chunks from existing drawings(parts of the hull or superstructure), you'll need to credit the original artist. Armament, directors, cranes, ship boats, planes, etc are not credited however.

Cheers.

[Profile] [Quote]
mcas1987
Post subject: Re: Large Cruiser HBMS Aven, first step towards visualizing my Balican AUPosted: December 9th, 2020, 7:38 pm
Thanks for the feedback. I've made those improvements you mentioned and credited the parts I used as well. I also added in the armor, for some reason I spaced including it. Thanks in particular for those turrets, they look fantastic.

I'll be following up in the next few days with some extra images depicting the various refits mentioned in the description as well.

Worklist:

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: Large Cruiser HBMS Aven, first step towards visualizing my Balican AUPosted: December 10th, 2020, 5:07 pm
I'll clarify.

You credit on the credit line. That's where you've put your own name under the name of the ship in the drawing. It's to make sure even off forum people will be able to see who has contributed to the drawing.

However, most of the parts you've used in this case do not require crediting. To quote the style guide(the one I linked in my last post. Reading through it all is really recommended):
Quote:
7. Crediting and use of pre-drawn components
All Shipbucket drawings have the original author(s)' names shown in parentheses below the ship class and name in the top right corner of the template. Always place your name on the drawings you have created.

Artists who modify others' drawings must place their name after the original author's name in the template's credit line. Never remove the original artist's name.

7.1 Use of community-created components
Shipbucket has a large library of pre-drawn components which have been created by the community as a whole, designed to help other artists with drawing. Use of these parts does not require crediting. Such parts include:

Mass-produced objects in general use that can be found on multiple ships
All objects that are removable from the ship
Weapons, radar antennas, electrical equipment, boats, cranes, aircraft, and so on.
Objects that are not considered components (and require crediting) are parts that are unique to that ship and not designed to be placed aboard other vessels, such as masts, superstructures, funnels, hull extensions, propeller shafts, and bilge keels. Use of this type of component requires crediting, unless the original artist grants you permission to remove their name from the credit line.
The only part explicitly required to be credited is the bilge keel. I'd say crediting the cutout for the torpedo launcher would depend on your lawyer(and it's very simple to make one yourself). Hit up the discord, I recall it being the busier part of the forum nowadays. Just check the left column to make sure you're asking the question in the correct subforum.

Cheers.

[Profile] [Quote]
mcas1987
Post subject: Re: Large Cruiser HBMS Aven, first step towards visualizing my Balican AUPosted: December 10th, 2020, 11:56 pm
Great, thanks for the feedback, and thanks for commenting. I'm looking forward to participating more around here.

Worklist:

[Profile] [Quote]
mcas1987
Post subject: Re: Large Cruiser HBMS Aven, first step towards visualizing my Balican AUPosted: December 18th, 2020, 1:06 am
Updated the keel with one of my own making and added the class' 1942 appearance with camo, extra Bofors 40s, 20mm guns, and radars.

[ img ]

More to follow including the Talos refit.

Worklist:

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only”

Jump to: