Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
moxica
Post subject: A Type 23 inspired thingPosted: April 10th, 2011, 7:06 pm
So its time to be creative again here and this time I thought I should draw something more modern but sadly to say I dont really have any knowledge on these modern stuff so I would appriciate if you people who are more updated in it can tell me what is working and whats not working :lol: and I will make changes to it.
[ img ]

Last edited by moxica on April 10th, 2011, 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: A Type 23 inspired thingPosted: April 10th, 2011, 7:08 pm
the entire aft mast can be removed, as can the sensor thingie just behind the I-mast. other then that, it looks not bad, IMO. (although I am not an fan of the current underwater hull)

[Profile] [Quote]
moxica
Post subject: Re: A Type 23 inspired thingPosted: April 10th, 2011, 7:17 pm
Ah ok thanks ace I did those two changes
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Chris Roach
Post subject: Re: A Type 23 inspired thingPosted: April 11th, 2011, 4:34 am
Seems like a fairly sound design, though the I Mast doesn't quite fit with the superstructure... it's a stealthy design while the superstructure isn't (few angled bits and a lot of clutter out in the open) - suggesting something of a mish-mash of late 80s/early 90s supersturcture with 2010 sensor fit. So, possibly more believable as a refit than a newbuild.

Other than that, SAMs (the ESSM and RAMs) are meant to be oriented vertically, not horizontally (Harpoon Antiship missile is correct though).

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: A Type 23 inspired thingPosted: April 11th, 2011, 11:50 am
It's really not a Type23 derived hull form in any way. The sonar dome for that comparison is wrong, so, too, are the stabilisator fins and generally the underwater hull also. In addition this design has onlyone screw, which I don't believe the British would settle for. Now, as for the u/w hull I have drawn it for my own Type23s. You can also look at my Type22s to divine how a proper British built hull-form would look like. Besides - who's Figaro???? ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: A Type 23 inspired thingPosted: April 11th, 2011, 1:50 pm
bezobrazov wrote:
It's really not a Type23 derived hull form in any way. The sonar dome for that comparison is wrong, so, too, are the stabilisator fins and generally the underwater hull also. In addition this design has onlyone screw, which I don't believe the British would settle for. Now, as for the u/w hull I have drawn it for my own Type23s. You can also look at my Type22s to divine how a proper British built hull-form would look like. Besides - who's Figaro???? ;)
he didn't said that it was type 23 derived, he said it was inspired....

[Profile] [Quote]
moxica
Post subject: Re: A Type 23 inspired thingPosted: April 11th, 2011, 2:30 pm
Yeah I got the idea for this drawing when I was trying to do my very first real life shipbucket drawing of a Type 23 but I didnt find it as fun so I quit halfway thrue it and then made this one instead.
I would guess it could have been built at the same time as the Type 23s and then refitted with an I-mast when they became available
The underwater hull will be replaced with a better one that I am working on but one question, would it be totally crazy to use azipod propulsion?
And I forgot to thank for the comments its a great way of learning

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: A Type 23 inspired thingPosted: April 11th, 2011, 2:34 pm
totally crazy? no. it is possible. but think of this: an azipod gives you a lot more manouvrability when slow, while an ship like this is going fast most of the time. they are more expensive, heavier and more vulnerable then regular propulsion systems.
btw, with your systems on board in mind.... what nation are you making this for?

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: A Type 23 inspired thingPosted: April 11th, 2011, 5:35 pm
The sensor behind the I-Mast that Acelancelot told you to get rid of, I'd keep - in fact I'd move it to on top of the bridge, because while it does technically qualify as a "sensor" it's actually a FLIR/camera pod, and I'm unaware of I-Mast having that feature built-in.

As for I-Mast not being on a stealthy ship - I wouldn't worry about it. Yes, it's primarily designed for stealthy installations but it's a modular design meant to be accommodated on just about any ship. It's probably cheaper and more capable than having to purchase and install all the sensors separately.

Oh, and I find it hard to believe that a ship of this size and nature would be capable of generating the power to justify or even need three funnels, so feel free to delete one of them and truncate the combined funnel accordingly. Strictly optional though. If you do go through with it you can either keep it as empty space, shorten the hull accordingly (actually this wouldn't be my preferred option) or install additional equipment in its place, like more small-caliber guns, life rafts, what have you.

In fact that's not a bad idea - with a shortened funnel, you have a much more extended platform for those RHIBs you have set up there, which would give the ship quite a bit more flexibility in boarding operations, anti-piracy operations and other special operations, which a ship like this is almost completely ideal for.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: A Type 23 inspired thingPosted: April 11th, 2011, 5:57 pm
the I-mast has an camera system, but not an FLIR, as far as I know. I might be wrong on that, and I suppose it is an option anyways (as the interior of the I-mast is just as modular as the mast itself)
on the other points I agree ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 13 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: