Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ] 
RedJive
Post subject: Gyrfalcon Battleship (fictional)Posted: May 11th, 2021, 7:45 pm
This is my first drawing (other than a cursed Clemson seaplane carrier conversion that I did a while ago). I tried to draw everything myself since it was my first ship (probably not the best idea) but I did base a lot of the components on IJN components such as with the anti-aircraft armament). I used the superstructure of the Nagato for reference. I hope I didn't mess anything up too badly on it. All feedback is welcome (I already got some on the discord)!
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Armoured man
Post subject: Re: Gyrfalcon Battleship (fictional)Posted: May 11th, 2021, 8:28 pm
A very impressive ship for your first attempt, certainly can't wait to see what else you're going to produce :D

[Profile] [Quote]
RedJive
Post subject: Re: Gyrfalcon Battleship (fictional)Posted: May 11th, 2021, 8:37 pm
Thanks!

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: Gyrfalcon Battleship (fictional)Posted: May 11th, 2021, 8:58 pm
Drawing as much as possible yourself is, if anything, commendable. That's how you'll get good at the style. And this looks pretty solid. "Keep at it" is really the only advice I can give.

The ship itself looks pretty reasonable. I'm curious about the different secondaries... The turreted ones look like eight inch guns, judging by their thickness, but I'm guessing you've got six inch guns in the casemates... You're gonna want to go with either or, really, and looking at the ship, I'd say the casemates would be far more likely.

[Profile] [Quote]
RedJive
Post subject: Re: Gyrfalcon Battleship (fictional)Posted: May 11th, 2021, 9:13 pm
Yeah, I added on a lot of secondaries. The casemates and the small guns in turrets (dual-purpose from a refit) are meant to be 5" (I know, it's weird). The larger secondary turrets are supposed to have 6" guns. I used the style guide for reference and it had 6" listed for both 3 and 4 pixel guns, so I chose the 4 pixel to show that they were different from the 5" guns. I was going for a ship that had been through several major refits and my explanation for the 6" guns is that they were added on during a refit and were from a cruiser (that I might try to draw in the future). I know it's sort of unrealistic to have so many different guns on the ship but I felt it fit with my backstory for the ship somewhat and I wanted to try drawing different kinds of guns (which I ended up slapping on this ship). Thanks for the feedback, I'll definitely keep that in mind for future drawings!

[Profile] [Quote]
Steampower1
Post subject: Re: Gyrfalcon Battleship (fictional)Posted: August 13th, 2021, 10:47 pm
It's just a patched together Japanese BB. I'm sure you can be more original.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Gyrfalcon Battleship (fictional)Posted: August 14th, 2021, 6:55 pm
Steampower1 wrote: *
It's just a patched together Japanese BB. I'm sure you can be more original.
How is this a helpful thing to say... the OP posted an original drawing made entirely by himself (a rare effort for a new person). And why dredge up a 3 month old thread just to leave a mean comment...? Your own contributions seem lacking at best...?

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only”

Jump to: