Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ] 
CodumCallum1666
Post subject: Olympic Class wing propeller overhangs?Posted: June 27th, 2023, 1:02 pm
can someone here please help me on this part of my drawing?

I've been griping over how to properly shade the wing propellers of the Olympic class liners. I don't know what sort of rule i should use to

This is the best that i could do and I'm sure it's wrong because i used the 45 degree shading rule The shadow follows the assumption that the light source is angled at 45 degrees,
[ img ]

not to mention that's how it's cast in many photo's i've seen of Olympic's propellers.
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

The actual overhang shadow cast by the wing propellers is straight down and the propeller blades cast a seperate shadow against the hull,

Is there any sort of rule that i need to follow? because I'm sure that this is nor how they would have casted such a shadow in real life.

If anyone has any idea on how it should properly be done, please come forward to help. just be sure to provide visual examples since I can better comprehend any advice in that format.

something that reflects it's irl shading as well as staying consistent with the shading of the rest of the hull.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Olympic Class wing propeller overhangs?Posted: June 27th, 2023, 2:42 pm
BTW. How many threats are you planning on starting, for a single ship. you can keep it all under 1 threat, then spamming the entire forum!

[Profile] [Quote]
CodumCallum1666
Post subject: Re: Olympic Class wing propeller overhangs?Posted: June 27th, 2023, 11:11 pm
heuhen wrote: *
BTW. How many threats are you planning on starting, for a single ship. you can keep it all under 1 threat, then spamming the entire forum!
There has to be someone in the community that has any kknowledge on what rule i need to use to shade those parts. Especially one consisted with the shading style as shown here. like i know the structure of these wings are straight i but i don't know what shadow it should cast since the hull in that part is slightly angled not to mention what shadow the propellers would cast from the light being above front.

I ask for visual examples because yes, i can better understand advice this way.

[Profile] [Quote]
CodumCallum1666
Post subject: Re: Olympic Class wing propeller overhangs?Posted: June 27th, 2023, 11:53 pm
if there's anyone else here who had a better idea of what the proper shading rule/technique to shade that part of the ship, i'm open to hearing your advice.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Olympic Class wing propeller overhangs?Posted: June 28th, 2023, 3:40 am
Creating multiple threads, gosh playing with fire. This user has been given more help than I can recall a member given, including visual aids and a community consensus, if that doesn't help I'm afraid not much else will, oh well, got about 6.5 days to mull on that

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
KingCam16
Post subject: Re: Olympic Class wing propeller overhangs?Posted: June 28th, 2023, 5:53 am
bro I have been a member for like 3 days and every other post I've seen is this same question. it looks fine, not everything is completely deterministic, its art for a reason. Just recognize that this might be the one spot which you don't like and move on. musicians don't stop in the middle of a song because they got something wrong, neither should you. finalize the design and stop making your one gripe everyone else's problem.

[Profile] [Quote]
CodumCallum1666
Post subject: Re: Olympic Class wing propeller overhangs?Posted: June 28th, 2023, 12:56 pm
Rodondo wrote: *
Creating multiple threads, gosh playing with fire. This user has been given more help than I can recall a member given, including visual aids and a community consensus, if that doesn't help I'm afraid not much else will, oh well, got about 6.5 days to mull on that
I'm a perfectionist. i want to make sure everything is meticulously in it's place. I don't want to leave out any possible errors.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only”

Jump to: