Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
ONI-Defense
Post subject: Lockheed Martin Advanced Assault Ship ConceptPosted: May 29th, 2011, 11:33 pm
Ok well this is my first Shipbucket drawing, and I hope to receive some helpful feedback and criticism, because I am sure I made some mistakes.

The vessel was a late 90's concept from Lockheed Martin for a hybrid between small aircraft carrier and littoral combat ships. I saw small references to it in books on naval design, but never a photo or drawing, until recently I happened upon a picture of it in a book, of course the picture was extremely small, with the Lockheed Martin Low Observable UAV concept aircraft encompassing the majority of the image. Other than the basic design, most of the equipment is merely a guess. So I'm looking for suggestions for weapons and weapon placements. The vessel using a water jet propulsion similar to that of the littoral combat ships LCS-1 and LCS-2.

On the side, I thought those were elevators on the ship, I found another picture in the old AVPRO book "Warplanes of the Future." , and it seems that those "panels" fold down and are launch pads for the LO UAV.

I probably should have chosen a more documented design for my first project, but maybe drawing a design with guess work may help me find and iron out any mistakes for later draws.

EDIT:Changed windows.

Last edited by ONI-Defense on May 30th, 2011, 2:53 pm, edited 10 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Lockheed Martin Advanced Assault Ship ConceptPosted: May 29th, 2011, 11:36 pm
Windows must be blue regardless of RL color, its a good drawing but IMO an ugly ship!

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
ONI-Defense
Post subject: Re: Lockheed Martin Advanced Assault Ship ConceptPosted: May 29th, 2011, 11:37 pm
Rodondo wrote:
Windows must be blue regardless of RL color, its a good drawing but IMO an ugly ship!

Ahh did not know, I'll change that.

I have to agree there, it ain't pretty.

[Profile] [Quote]
Carnac
Post subject: Re: Lockheed Martin Advanced Assault Ship ConceptPosted: May 29th, 2011, 11:58 pm
wat

I'm not even sure how this would work.

[Profile] [Quote]
ONI-Defense
Post subject: Re: Lockheed Martin Advanced Assault Ship ConceptPosted: May 30th, 2011, 12:02 am
Carnac wrote:
wat

I'm not even sure how this would work.
It's a confusing design, and since there are so few pictures, chances are this design didn't even reach the drawing board and was shot down for other projects.

My best guess it was during the debate between small and large aircraft carriers, and since larger carriers showed to be more cost effective, this design was probably one of the many designs for small carriers that became forgotten or canceled.

[Profile] [Quote]
Darkproxy
Post subject: Re: Lockheed Martin Advanced Assault Ship ConceptPosted: May 30th, 2011, 12:17 am
How do the drones luanch?

[Profile] [Quote]
ONI-Defense
Post subject: Re: Lockheed Martin Advanced Assault Ship ConceptPosted: May 30th, 2011, 12:21 am
The top deck which seems to be clear according to the picture, and the top deck has two elevators at the rear. But one of the quirkiest and most likely to fail launch way is the side panels that fold down and supposedly the UCAV would take off vertically from it. Honestly I don't see that working or being even practical, not to mention will make it less stealthy in the process.

[Profile] [Quote]
Darkproxy
Post subject: Re: Lockheed Martin Advanced Assault Ship ConceptPosted: May 30th, 2011, 12:26 am
ONI-Defense wrote:
The top deck which seems to be clear according to the picture, and the top deck has two elevators at the rear. But one of the quirkiest and most likely to fail launch way is the side panels that fold down and supposedly the UCAV would take off vertically from it. Honestly I don't see that working or being even practical, not to mention will make it less stealthy in the process.
when pannels open up they automatically kill the stealth as the stealth material is no leaving an exposed area that is radar visable

[Profile] [Quote]
ONI-Defense
Post subject: Re: Lockheed Martin Advanced Assault Ship ConceptPosted: May 30th, 2011, 12:27 am
Pretty much.

I'm trying to find an online image of the launch system, if I have no luck I'll have to scan or photograph the page in the book.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Lockheed Martin Advanced Assault Ship ConceptPosted: May 30th, 2011, 10:11 am
Firstly, welcome aboard ONI-Defense.

Second, great work, although a newbie this guy has drawn a pretty good SB ship and I can see few style errors. That's always a good start.
I remember the Stealth Ship from the 1990s when I was a lad, it seemed to die away very quickly and somehow seemed rather dated comapred to the stealth faceting now in use on modern warships. The hull seems very capacious and I like the overall concept. The side VTOL panels seemed to have been used on some of the AVPRO concepts in the late 90s too.

My only nitpick would be the railings, yes they are essential for safe operation on the flightdeck atop the ship bt they would have an effect on the stealth aspects.

I look forward to more drawings!

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: