Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
BlueEagle1
Post subject: Multi-Purpose Patrol VesselPosted: August 24th, 2011, 10:20 pm
I'm taking another crack at drawing a decent ship, and here's what I have so far. I want it to be a multi-purpose patrol vessel with anti-air and ASW capabilities, as well as a slight anti-ship capability (hence the Harpoons and 76mm).

These are some points I'd like to have you all go over for the final drawing:

1. Is the forward RAM launcher redundant/in a bad spot?
2. With both a SH-60 on board and ASROCs in the VLS, would adding the Mk 32 launcher be overkill?
3. What would be the best sensor suite for this ship as far as having both missile guidance and air-defense capability? Also, are the ASW sensors sufficient?

Also, please point out any other mistakes I've made, as I'm sure I've made some, but also keep in mind this is still a WIP.

[ img ]

Last edited by BlueEagle1 on September 16th, 2011, 4:34 am, edited 5 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
meeware
Post subject: Re: Multi-Purpose Patrol VesselPosted: August 25th, 2011, 11:12 am
Asroc? Is that still a current system? If you drop that you could go for a shorter MK41 system and just use ESSM for air defence, which with a rapid firing foredeck gun and a stern mounted RAM set would give a good overall AAW fitfor a small vessel I'd have thought.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Multi-Purpose Patrol VesselPosted: August 25th, 2011, 11:31 am
BlueEagle1 wrote:
1. Is the forward RAM launcher redundant/in a bad spot?
Yes it is. It's a tight spot, and pulling it helps top weight
BlueEagle1 wrote:
2. With both a SH-60 on board and ASROCs in the VLS, would adding the Mk 32 launcher be overkill?
No it would not, but I presume only 8 of your 16 VLS cells are long enough to take VLA.
BlueEagle1 wrote:
3. What would be the best sensor suite for this ship as far as having both missile guidance and air-defense capability? Also, are the ASW sensors sufficient?

I'd look at the Minor War Vessel Radar, or CEAFAR/CEAMOUNT for the radar, but I think you're ok for ASW sensors.
BlueEagle1 wrote:
Also, please point out any other mistakes I've made, as I'm sure I've made some, but also keep in mind this is still a WIP.
It looks very grey. The only non-grey part I can see are the windows/ This looks like an error that happened when you saved it.

[Profile] [Quote]
BlueEagle1
Post subject: Re: Multi-Purpose Patrol VesselPosted: August 25th, 2011, 6:09 pm
Updated.

- Removed forward RAM launcher
- Added Mk 32 launcher
- Added modified version of erik_t's MWVR
- Added other details

Please point out anything else that needs fixed.

As far as the drawing being too "gray," I think you're referring to where I recolored the missiles.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Multi-Purpose Patrol VesselPosted: August 25th, 2011, 9:18 pm
Looks good. I guess I'd cut the VLS load to half of what you have now (I wasn't paying enough attention earlier), and leave the ship with 16 cells for 8 VLAs and 32 ESSM/Nulka or even a 4/48 load.

As for the grey comment I also meant the screws.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Multi-Purpose Patrol VesselPosted: August 25th, 2011, 9:32 pm
Sensor fit really depends on the planned country. Something like SPY-5 or one of the I-mast systems would seem reasonable. APAR, SPY-1F are too big. The MWVR won't be able to direct ESSM, although ESSM is arguably excessive for this ship in the first place. Not sure if it can gun-lay.

[Profile] [Quote]
BlueEagle1
Post subject: Re: Multi-Purpose Patrol VesselPosted: August 25th, 2011, 11:00 pm
Updated with SPY-5 system and updated versions of the missiles. As for the screws being silver, I recolored them that way, but if it's a problem I can make them standard color.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Multi-Purpose Patrol VesselPosted: August 25th, 2011, 11:07 pm
You seem to have the bottom of a torp launcher floating off the side off your ship

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
BlueEagle1
Post subject: Re: Multi-Purpose Patrol VesselPosted: August 25th, 2011, 11:23 pm
What do you mean floating? Are you talking about how the door is half closed?

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Multi-Purpose Patrol VesselPosted: August 25th, 2011, 11:40 pm
The door should be closed or open, as it looks a bit odd (I suppose we are talking about the door beneath the funnel)

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: