Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
Dilandu
Post subject: IRU "Memphis" - early missile destroyerPosted: October 15th, 2011, 5:50 am
This ship is a direct precursor of IRU "Sirius". It is the missile destroyer in the style of "how-would-it-look-like-in-the-end-1940th" - ship, armed with those early guided-weapons systems like Goodyear SUM-N-2 Grebe.

In fact, the Imperial Navy wanted a sort of "ship of the future." In this case the obvious shortcomings of a primitive weapon systems were ignored. Of course, the results were not the best (what's the use of rocket-torpedoes, flying at 40 km, if your sonar can not observe the submarine at such a distance?)
Attachment:
Memphis.png
The main armament of the ship was guided weapons complex in the nose. It consisted of a massive hangar (just then the hangar-layout arsenal became the standard in the Imperial Navy), the rail delivery missiles system, and twin catapults on ramp. A tremendous catapult were chosen as the launch system for one reason - at that time Imperial Navy had a big problem with the boosters, and catapult considered more reliable.

The ship were armed by VE-14 "Universal Airframe", the radio-command drone with pulsejet and variable weapon system.

Drone may be used in anti-ship version, when it was armed with "Gargoyle" radar-guided bomb (yes, the ASM-N-2 Batwere prototype) or in a anti-submarine version with acoustic torpedo. The system was primitive, and suffered from interference, but SOMETIMES it worked. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: IRU "Memphis" - early missile destroyerPosted: October 15th, 2011, 6:22 am
The drawing seems to be on the small side, and I can tell you right now it's gonna get kicked over to the Beginner's Forum because your style, while better developed and with a better application of knowledge than the typical beginner, is still indicative of having yet completed the learning process.

[Profile] [Quote]
Dilandu
Post subject: Re: IRU "Memphis" - early missile destroyerPosted: October 15th, 2011, 6:48 am
Ok, then so be it.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: IRU "Memphis" - early missile destroyerPosted: October 15th, 2011, 11:22 am
Not a bad start, but she needs shading (starting with hull shading) and color correction (hull is one color, superstructure is another, and the door needs to match the superstructure). I don't know of any sonars that looked like that in real life, and the red strip has me wondering why it's there.

That said, it is a good start.

[Profile] [Quote]
Dilandu
Post subject: Re: IRU "Memphis" - early missile destroyerPosted: October 15th, 2011, 1:15 pm
Thanks for the tips! I will try to correct the deficiencies. Especially it is necessary to think about shadows.

P.S. Well, it's a modified version

[Profile] [Quote]
HMS Sophia
Post subject: Re: IRU "Memphis" - early missile destroyerPosted: October 15th, 2011, 1:27 pm
The red stripe on the superstructure is... interesting... but I think it looks pretty cool :D

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: IRU "Memphis" - early missile destroyerPosted: October 15th, 2011, 1:38 pm
Prop and rudder need some cleaning

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
Dilandu
Post subject: Re: IRU "Memphis" - early missile destroyerPosted: October 15th, 2011, 1:41 pm
Quote:
The red stripe on the superstructure is... interesting... but I think it looks pretty cool
Well, this is unlikely to "combat" painting ... I am personally inclined to believe that the red line - that is to say, "presentation" color.
Quote:
Prop and rudder need some cleaning
Ok, I will take into account and fix. Thanks for warning.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: IRU "Memphis" - early missile destroyerPosted: October 15th, 2011, 2:29 pm
Sonar wise you are probably looking at something in the size range of a Sumner or a Gearing set.

[Profile] [Quote]
Dilandu
Post subject: Re: IRU "Memphis" - early missile destroyerPosted: October 15th, 2011, 3:08 pm
I'll try to reduce its size

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: