Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
josephw71
Post subject: Old and TiredPosted: November 5th, 2011, 3:27 am
Needed to pick up the old hobby again, keep from losing my mind. At a proof of concept stage, aiming for a old updated too many times ddg or cg. Not too familiar with more modern equipment, especially aerials, so looking to see if this is a feasible design and I got the right electronics, borrowed tower from OHP frigate. Lots of work still to do, just want to know now before I do more work.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Old and TiredPosted: November 5th, 2011, 6:42 am
Booting over the Beginner's Forum

That said, she does look like a ship that has gone in for refit one to many times.

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Old and TiredPosted: November 5th, 2011, 6:34 pm
And all the main weapon systems are way too high above the centre of gravity: why?

[Profile] [Quote]
josephw71
Post subject: Re: Old and TiredPosted: November 22nd, 2011, 2:46 am
O.K. lets try this one, trying a mid 60's design with British electronic equipment, don't know if this is the right stuff.

[Profile] [Quote]
jabba
Post subject: Re: Old and TiredPosted: November 22nd, 2011, 3:04 am
Good start mate!

2nd drawing looks much better, however the ship is too large and heavily armed to be classed a frigate. This is definitely a DD.

Edit: Also, the helo should be shown hovering over the deck where there are no hangar facilities.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Old and TiredPosted: November 23rd, 2011, 9:56 pm
The Type 978 might be better on the forward side of the foremast. Also where is the Sea Slug magazine, that alone will eat up a lot of space.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Old and TiredPosted: November 24th, 2011, 9:43 pm
I would suggest reversing the order of radars on the masts. Fore-mast to carry the Type 992 and various ECM and adding a Type 978 navigational radar, and also make the mast solid (as you have it now). Aft mast should have the Type 965 (AKE-1) radar, higher if possible, and the Type 278 height-finder on the aft side of the mast, which should be also plated like the fore-mast, and not a lattice-work (like now). This arrangement worked fine with the County class destroyers in Real Life. You also have alot of un-used space on the upper-deck between the two funnels. Also keep in mind that Sea Slug had a horizontal tunnel-like magazine, which used a lot of hull-volume, which, incidently, introduced the RN to the problem of volume-critical ships. Type 901 guidance radar of the Sea Slug is too high in the hull IMHO, and that will result in a high centre of gravity.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
josephw71
Post subject: Re: Old and TiredPosted: November 28th, 2011, 7:30 pm
O.K. Made some changes, still am playing with shading and some details, but, is this a workable design or are their some tweaks left?

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Old and TiredPosted: November 29th, 2011, 8:52 am
I can't see where you're going to load the Ikara from. On the RAN ships (when sited amidships) there was also a substantial deck house to allow this; but you're siting above the engine rooms, so it would be extremely cramped below decks. Re the 5.25-in guns; I'm assuming this is an old ship that is being modernised, but even so, I'd still replace these, even the surplus twin USN 5-in would be better.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Old and TiredPosted: November 29th, 2011, 5:21 pm
Again you do not have enough length for Sea-Slug. On the County class the missile magazine was more than 350 ft long and they carried only 36 missiles. You only have half that, so you'll have only around 16 to 18 missiles. For a ship termed cruiser you'll need double that at least. Ikara launcher(s) poorely sited, and as Bill said you have no reloads. Also you have an open bridge, and too small one at that. Aft mast looks spindly compared with the fore mast. Propeller shafts look too thin. You lack any counter measures.
As I mentioned earlier Type 278 should be on the after side of the mast, as it was used to supply height and bearing data for Type 901, that radar was used for the Sea Slug guidance beam.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Return to โ€œBeginners Onlyโ€ | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: