Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 4 of 5  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor HMS "Anton Freeling"Posted: December 21st, 2011, 12:38 am
Keep the elegant slanted tripod. It lends your ship a certain character, but attach the boat boom, which should be longer and thicker (though, tapering at the vends) directly to the mast, and have it operated thru pulleys and wheels, attached to the upper section of the lower mast (which, you can preferrably thicken some for steadiness and support.) - But, yeah, definitely, keep your original mast design; only adjust it some...

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor HMS "Anton Freeling"Posted: December 21st, 2011, 5:20 am
A? Hnh. I was kinda leaning towards B myself, but we'll see what other comments I get before deciding. The crane I cadged off of a drawing of the Renown, but it was one of the older "unknown" drawings, so yeah, it may be a bit plain. I'll look around to see if I can find another one. I would use the crane from the Edinburgh's that I based this on, but I believe that was the aircraft handling crane and since I moved the catapult aft, its no longer needed midships, and it may be a bit much for just the Admirals cutter.

Version Vote Count:
A - 5
B - 2

Last edited by Zephyr on December 21st, 2011, 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
adenandy
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor HMS "Anton Freeling"Posted: December 21st, 2011, 8:34 am
I like B as well

[Profile] [Quote]
jabba
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor HMS "Anton Freeling"Posted: December 21st, 2011, 11:00 am
I must agree with Bezobrazov on the angled tripod mast being a part of your ship you'd want to keep, but like he said make the bottom half thicker and add the crane boon to that. Whichever you are doing, ensure the crane boom is long enough to extend over the edge of the deck as well as thicker (sorry if I'm pointing out the obvious!).

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor HMS "Anton Freeling"Posted: December 21st, 2011, 4:43 pm
I like A as well. Also I'd like to point out that, with the removal of the planes and catapults, the RN removed one crane (originally there were two cranes, one each side), and relocataed it to the center line, so you can use the original crane for the life-boats.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor HMS "Anton Freeling"Posted: December 22nd, 2011, 5:48 am
Version 6
The aft-midships 2 pdr quad has been moved a bit further aft, where the 12.7mm quad had been, with the wing platform enlarged to accomodate it. A starboard side crane has been fitted midships, and the quad 12.7 have been moved to either side of the aft stack.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor HMS "Anton Freeling"Posted: December 23rd, 2011, 2:18 am
Very, very nice! Superbly handsome lines! Like it very much!

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor HMS "Anton Freeling"Posted: December 25th, 2011, 2:16 pm
I have to agree with Bezobrazov on this, you have made a ship with good lines and a beautiful layout!

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
Chuck ship art
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor HMS "Anton Freeling"Posted: January 23rd, 2012, 12:12 am
Really nice but if voting is still open I vote for "B" mast.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor HMS "Anton Freeling"Posted: January 23rd, 2012, 1:52 am
...and it's high time to move this entire episode to an AU-thread!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 4 of 5  [ 45 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »

Jump to: