Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 4 of 5  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: Eagle Patrol Boats, WW1Posted: January 1st, 2012, 12:59 pm
platform of the guns sould be 3 pixel. Great work.

[Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Eagle Patrol Boats, WW1Posted: January 21st, 2012, 4:45 am
I just realized I never posted the "final" version of this. oops. So, here it is. ta da.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Eagle Patrol Boats, WW1Posted: January 21st, 2012, 8:37 am
Very good work Zephyr, but if you look at the builders plans, the bridge portholes also are captiones as 8" airvents, the same as on the hull.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
jabba
Post subject: Re: Eagle Patrol Boats, WW1Posted: January 21st, 2012, 12:17 pm
Greetings Zephyr! Good drawing of an unfortunate-looking boat!

In the plans they are labelled 'airports', which I understand as meaning portholes that can be opened (as opposed to being permanently sealed), not air vents.

Also, I can't see the bilge keel and scuppers on the hull, and the wireless antenna going aft from the mast, although I understand that these omissions may be intentional.

I hope this has been helpful...

Last edited by jabba on January 21st, 2012, 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Eagle Patrol Boats, WW1Posted: January 21st, 2012, 12:25 pm
Novice wrote:
Very good work Zephyr, but if you look at the builders plans, the bridge portholes also are captiones as 8" airvents, the same as on the hull.
No, the builders plans label them 18" portholes.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Eagle Patrol Boats, WW1Posted: January 21st, 2012, 12:37 pm
jabba wrote:
Greetings Zephyr! Good drawing of an unfortunate-looking boat!

In the plans they are labelled 'airports', which I understand as meaning portholes that can be opened, as opposed to being permanently sealed, not air vents.

Also, I can't see the bilge keel and scuppers on the hull, and the wireless antenna going aft from the mast, although I understand that these omissions may be intentional.

I hope this has been helpful...
The antenna wire was indeed an ommission, but not of the intentional variety. ;)

The bilge keel, since it was represented on the drawings I used as a dotted line, I took as meaning it was internal so I didn't draw it.

The scuppers, when I did them initially, being so small (1½" for most, 3" for a few), were represented by a series of black dots. It made the hull look like it had the measles. So I left them off.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Eagle Patrol Boats, WW1Posted: January 21st, 2012, 12:49 pm
an bilge keel is never internal, zephyr. you should add it ;)
to explain the above above: an bilge keel is not for strengthening the ship but for nullifying it's rolling and to improve the stream of water along the hull.
I would like to see an version with the scuppers: while not really good looking sometimes, it might be an important part of the design, details like that divide the average from the good designs IMO.

another minor point: it looks like your funnel top has no black outlines?

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Eagle Patrol Boats, WW1Posted: January 21st, 2012, 1:16 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
an bilge keel is never internal, zephyr. you should add it ;)
to explain the above above: an bilge keel is not for strengthening the ship but for nullifying it's rolling and to improve the stream of water along the hull.
I'll see what I can do about that. In my defense, I'll add this... when I was in M2 Bradleys, I had somebody (a congressional aide out "investigating" the Bradleys. I was in one of the 1st battalions to convert from M-113s) start asking out building points and the like. My answer was "I train how to fight with them, not build the damned things" :lol:
acelanceloet wrote:
I would like to see an version with the scuppers: while not really good looking sometimes, it might be an important part of the design, details like that divide the average from the good designs IMO.
ooo.. kay. I'll add them and repost, but I tell ya, it does look like thing has measles. :P
acelanceloet wrote:
another minor point: it looks like your funnel top has no black outlines?
Really? Hmmm. I'll check on that. I know it had some when I drew it. Maybe I accidently covered them with the really dark grey I used for inside the lines.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Eagle Patrol Boats, WW1Posted: January 21st, 2012, 3:55 pm
Zephyr wrote:
Novice wrote:
You can blame my eyesight for the ommission of the numeral 1. My remark still stands the hull portholes and the bridge portholes are all the same, both in size and shape. So in your drawing they should look the same.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Eagle Patrol Boats, WW1Posted: January 21st, 2012, 4:52 pm
Novice wrote:
Zephyr wrote:
Novice wrote:
You can blame my eyesight for the ommission of the numeral 1. My remark still stands the hull portholes and the bridge portholes are all the same, both in size and shape. So in your drawing they should look the same.
No worries about the eyesight. Mine is about 20/450 so I had to blow the drawings up to 150% to make certain myself.
I do have to disagree on the ports though. The photos I've seen are pretty clear that the hull vents are small and nothing like the ports on the charthouse.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 4 of 5  [ 49 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »

Jump to: