Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
LEUT_East
Post subject: My second design - Torrens Class FFG (RAN AU)Posted: January 1st, 2012, 2:26 am
Following on from my first design (Castlemaine Class DDG), I have the pleasure in submitting my second design (Torrens Class FFG) for your comment/viewing.

I have resurrected the name "Torrens" for both the class name and the name of this lead ship of the class.

HMAS Torrens (FFG247):
Attachment:
FFG49 - HMAS Torrens (Work In Progress_0939_20120101).png

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: My second design - Torrens Class FFG (RAN AU)Posted: January 1st, 2012, 2:39 am
old parts and top weight:

i got a felling that there something similarity with something. but it can be me some are tired!

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: My second design - Torrens Class FFG (RAN AU)Posted: January 1st, 2012, 2:42 am
heuhen wrote:
top weight:
Not necessarily, especially since most of the "volume" concerns the SPY-supporting structure combined with a funnel. Keep in mind that the Burkes have topweight issues; the USN isn't bothered by it, or at least not willing to trade in what it takes to bring that problem down.

[Profile] [Quote]
LEUT_East
Post subject: Re: My second design - Torrens Class FFG (RAN AU)Posted: January 1st, 2012, 2:53 am
I can see where you think that it is reminiscent of other designs - I have used a few influences including the Spanish F100 Class FFG and Norwegian Nansen Class FFG.

This is very much a work in progress and will be evolving and I am far from happy with it at the moment. As always, your comments are most appreciated.

The main influence is a Spanish IZAR design I saw when I was at the RAN's Pacific 2004 Conference as a delegate.
Attachment:
P1010694.JPG
Attachment:
P1010706.JPG

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: My second design - Torrens Class FFG (RAN AU)Posted: January 1st, 2012, 2:57 am
heuhen wrote:
top weight:
CEAPAR and CEAMOUNT are very light systems at the array level, so I'd imagine that, like the real life ANZACs, the mast structure is mostly hollow.

You are correct about the old parts, but these ships show some thought. What navy are you in Leut_EAST (I can't tell from the cap, but I'd guess RAN)?

This is good drawing and I am very close to moving it out of the beginner forum.

Here is an example of some areas that need to be cleaned up: I've replaced all of the true black and true white with green and pink respectively. Clean those up (by replacing the not-black with black and the not-white with white) and you're good to go.

[ img ]

Pre-post edit: You do need to show Harpoons above the launchers, but that's a minor and easy fix.

Also the text: anti-aliasing should be turned off, but again, that's a minor thing (and really only comes up for designs that get uploaded, but a nice side effect is that non-anti-aliased text reduces the file size.)

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: My second design - Torrens Class FFG (RAN AU)Posted: January 1st, 2012, 3:05 am
in Norway, this: http://www.shipbucket.com/images.php?di ... thales.png become this: http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h37 ... dahl-3.png

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: My second design - Torrens Class FFG (RAN AU)Posted: January 1st, 2012, 3:17 am
Why a Mk 99? You already have medium-range phased array magic illumination. If you had enough cells to be shipping SM-ER I might see it, but for ESSM...

[Profile] [Quote]
LEUT_East
Post subject: Re: My second design - Torrens Class FFG (RAN AU)Posted: January 1st, 2012, 4:01 am
Resubmitted using TimothyC's colour recommendations. Still not sure about text anti-aliasing.
Attachment:
FFG49 - HMAS Torrens (Work In Progress_1503_20111231-TimothyC recommendations).png

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: My second design - Torrens Class FFG (RAN AU)Posted: January 1st, 2012, 6:22 am
LEUT_East wrote:
Resubmitted using TimothyC's colour recommendations. Still not sure about text anti-aliasing.
You've got the text correct. Still a few glitches:

[ img ]

Just make the green and pink areas black (this is a rather weird issue as the areas that were fine before are bad now), and do the parts updates and you're good to go.

The current drawing of the 76mm Oto mount can be found here, while the USN parts sheet has the Harpoons that should be added, and the updated launchers

[Profile] [Quote]
Chris Roach
Post subject: Re: My second design - Torrens Class FFG (RAN AU)Posted: January 1st, 2012, 7:12 am
I was under the impression that CEAPAR/CEAMOUNT was capable of directing Evolved Sea Sparrow missiles on it's own, so it'd probably be safe to dump the SPG-62 director you've got there.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: