Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 18  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 518 »
ezgo394
Post subject: IoT (Isle of Texas)Posted: July 28th, 2010, 3:20 am
Just thought I would go ahead and start this for IoT (Isle of Texas).

Here are the basics.

Pop: 20 Million and steady

Constitutional Republic, formed in 1717.
(IoT constitution was later rewritten in 1797, based off of the American constitution)

It is located in the South Tasman Sea.

Here is a basic map.
[ img ]
And one with major cities.
[ img ]
Notes: The Gray Area around Concord is a "megalopolis."
The tan-ish area around Kermit is a large sand dune/desert.
I am still working on the econonic setup, but I am thinking manufacturing, timber and some coal, platinum and copper (located in mountains).

Any/All comments are welcome.

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: IoT (Isle of Texas)Posted: July 28th, 2010, 3:51 am
Looks fairly unrealistic, to be honest. A lot of NS designers make this same mistake... landmasses are never square-ish like this. Add some points, archipelagoes, barrier islands, offshore reefs, or something similar. It gets a bit bland when the guy's country is just a big block of land.

Also, your inland waterways are far too convenient. The only thing I can find that's similar to your inland gulf by Bay City, Ingram and Concord is Pearl Harbor, and that's the ONLY spot on the globe like this... if I were you I'd do away with it.

Your city names leave a lot to be desired, too. "Delta"? Who names a city "Delta"? Quantify it with something. If it's named that because it's a river delta, name the city "Mississippi Delta" or something similar. Canyon? Kermit? Channel?

Load this into Paint.NET and trace over the lines on a new layer to make a digital map.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: IoT (Isle of Texas)Posted: July 28th, 2010, 4:08 am
Colosseum wrote:
Looks fairly unrealistic, to be honest. A lot of NS designers make this same mistake... landmasses are never square-ish like this. Add some points, archipelagoes, barrier islands, offshore reefs, or something similar. It gets a bit bland when the guy's country is just a big block of land.

Also, your inland waterways are far too convenient. The only thing I can find that's similar to your inland gulf by Bay City, Ingram and Concord is Pearl Harbor, and that's the ONLY spot on the globe like this... if I were you I'd do away with it.

Your city names leave a lot to be desired, too. "Delta"? Who names a city "Delta"? Quantify it with something. If it's named that because it's a river delta, name the city "Mississippi Delta" or something similar. Canyon? Kermit? Channel?

Load this into Paint.NET and trace over the lines on a new layer to make a digital map.
There is more islands that surround it, but this was drawn for maximum detail on a 22x28 poster. I will see about tracing it, but right now that is not my main concern. I might get my friend to do that for me. The waterway near Channel and Delta is actually pretty curvy and shallow, but can handle most ship traffic. The waterway near Kidd, Queens, Webster, and Ingram is more of a shallow non-trafficked channel, that is mostly used for small ships that arent headed for the port. The bay is more like a.. lake.

Kermit and Canyon are actual cities in Texas. Canyon is near Amarillo, and is home to West Texas A&M University. Kermit is east of El Paso near the corner of NM. I will try to reconfigure Delta and rename Kermit and Canyon. I like Channel, so Im going to stick with that for now.

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

Last edited by ezgo394 on July 28th, 2010, 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: IoT (Isle of Texas)Posted: July 28th, 2010, 4:08 am
Colosseum wrote:
Your city names leave a lot to be desired, too. "Delta"? Who names a city "Delta"?
Omni Consumer Products.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: IoT (Isle of Texas)Posted: July 28th, 2010, 4:14 am
Quote:
Kermit and Canyon are actual cities in Texas. Canyon is near Amarillo, and is home to West Texas A&M University. Kermit is east of El Paso near the corner of NM. I will try to reconfigure Delta and rename Kermit and Canyon. I like Channel, so Im going to stick with that for now.
I wouldn't base large city names in a relatively wealthy first world nation (albeit fictional) off the names of buttfuck towns in Texas.

For Christ's sake, there's a Sulphur, Oklahoma, but I'm certainly not naming a city in North Point after it. :P

Whenever I hear a city named Channel I think of Channelview here in Houston.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: IoT (Isle of Texas)Posted: July 28th, 2010, 4:22 am
Colosseum wrote:
Quote:
I wouldn't base large city names in a relatively wealthy first world nation (albeit fictional) off the names of buttfuck towns in Texas.

For Christ's sake, there's a Sulphur, Oklahoma, but I'm certainly not naming a city in North Point after it. :P

Whenever I hear a city named Channel I think of Channelview here in Houston.
Back up. I have changed it all up. IoT is not a relativly wealthy nation (we are like a small, laid back "stay out of each others business" type country). We have money to get by and do stuff but not like the US. And also, there could be different reasons for naming the towns like I did besides towns in Texas. "Kermit," could be an explorer while, Canyon could be named for the canyon it is in.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: IoT (Isle of Texas)Posted: July 28th, 2010, 5:35 am
Did you just tell me to "back up"?

-_-

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: IoT (Isle of Texas)Posted: July 28th, 2010, 1:46 pm
Well, yes. You were referring to the original IoT that had all the money. I changed it up because Theil, Klagldsf, and you said it wouldn't be possible, so now I have the "laid back, not really rich but still a nice place to live, and stay out of others business" IoT.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: IoT (Isle of Texas)Posted: July 28th, 2010, 4:02 pm
Oh, ok, so it wasn't an offensive "back up", it was a "you're thinking of the wrong iteration of this country".

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: IoT (Isle of Texas)Posted: July 28th, 2010, 11:07 pm
Colosseum wrote:
Oh, ok, so it wasn't an offensive "back up", it was a "you're thinking of the wrong iteration of this country".
Yes of course. I have no reason to be mean to you.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 18  [ 173 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 518 »

Jump to: