Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 3  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 »
KHT
Post subject: Erikrike Aviation CruiserPosted: April 14th, 2012, 9:58 pm
So, first Erikrike design. Designed with scouting in mind, but also as a coordinator for the fleet in case of a major engagement(likely, I know). Maybe it was just my obsession with making unique, or at least odd, designs that made me do this.
This design was also somewhat based on the Swedish HMS Gotland.
*Ahem*
With the rise of naval aviation, Erikrike found itself in need of a ship that could bring airplanes with it on sea. Several small carrier designs was considered, but it was judged that "a ship that can merely perform scouting is not wished in our navy, and a ship capable of carrying out more tasks than that should be built"
Going through several design phases, a relatively small design was finally chosen, with artillery only stronger than a destroyer(a new 140mm/56 DP type), and only just, but with a descent armour protection that would easily nullify any shells short of a cruiser's.
The thought of the ship was good, but due to problems with taking aboard landing planes, and the very weak offensive capabilities of the ship, it was never as succesful as it could have been.
HErMS Sverdet and her sistership HErMS Spiran would serve from their commission into the early 60s, when there was plans to rebuild them to carry helicopters, but due to the cost of this, the plans, along with the ships, were scrapped in 1963

Hope you'll like it! :D
[ img ]
Thoughts:
I've probably forgot some advice since earlier on making it shipbucket standard, so yeah. Have patiens with me.
Should I add another 140mm turret at the rear("overseeing" the flight deck)?
I might add a badge, if I get around to making one.
If anyone has a better suggestion for floatplanes, I'll gladly take 'em. :)

Also, I'm still working on the real designs on my worklist, including the Satsuma. But I just liked this idea so much I had to try it.

[Profile] [Quote]
LEUT_East
Post subject: Re: Erikrike Aviation CruiserPosted: April 15th, 2012, 1:05 am
I like this design...great start mate :)

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Erikrike Aviation CruiserPosted: April 15th, 2012, 2:14 am
Smart design. In fact you did what I've failed to do for my own AU: design a suitable, but not too big airplane cruiser! I may have to look for cues from you here! As for the second turret. Yes, there's definitely room for it, so you may fit one; however, considering the primary purpose of this vessel, it's not absolutely necessary.
Again, I envy you this handsome small, yet crack cruiser!

[Profile] [Quote]
Talleyrand
Post subject: Re: Erikrike Aviation CruiserPosted: April 15th, 2012, 4:06 am
Nice design. i dont know about the second turret. May be saving the extra weight is a good idea for seakeeping.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Erikrike Aviation CruiserPosted: April 15th, 2012, 8:10 am
I like this very much so far, I can see the Gotland inspiration quite clearly

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: Erikrike Aviation CruiserPosted: April 15th, 2012, 8:18 am
LEUT_East wrote:
I like this design...great start mate :)
Thanks! :D
bezobrazov wrote:
Smart design. In fact you did what I've failed to do for my own AU: design a suitable, but not too big airplane cruiser! I may have to look for cues from you here! As for the second turret. Yes, there's definitely room for it, so you may fit one; however, considering the primary purpose of this vessel, it's not absolutely necessary.
Again, I envy you this handsome small, yet crack cruiser!
The key probably is that I have a very light armament. Since I'm loath to further increasing deplacement (it's currently approx. 5200t), I would have to sacrifice something else for an extra turret. Only half of the standard CL main armament is a huge weight saver.
Talleyrand wrote:
Nice design. i dont know about the second turret. May be saving the extra weight is a good idea for seakeeping.
Thank you! :D
Rodondo wrote:
I like this very much so far, I can see the Gotland inspiration quite clearly
Thank you, it's nice hearing it still resembles part of the original idea.

So, recommendations for making it better? Design-wise as well as shipbucket-wise.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Erikrike Aviation CruiserPosted: April 15th, 2012, 8:40 am
The concept looks good, and its certainly a handsome ship.

Some points I've thought of.
The searchlight over the bridge would probably be better mounted elsewhere, maybe one each side of the forward funnel.
The platform behind the bridge wing needs some support structure beneath it.
Maybe make the foremast a tripod.
The AA guns should be 0 elevation for SB style.
The two cranes can be improved with three pixel lines to make them look less skeletal.
The single mounts on each becam aft of the catapults; are they 140mm too? If so they would probably be better than an aft turret, since that would have blast implications of the aircraft stowed aft.
Draught might be a tad deep, but that's probably a matter of personal taste.
Many newer and better looking floatplanes can be found on the aircraft sheets. Perhaps the Hawker Osprey?

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: Erikrike Aviation CruiserPosted: April 15th, 2012, 9:09 am
Hood wrote:
The concept looks good, and its certainly a handsome ship.

Some points I've thought of.
The searchlight over the bridge would probably be better mounted elsewhere, maybe one each side of the forward funnel.
The platform behind the bridge wing needs some support structure beneath it.
Maybe make the foremast a tripod.
The AA guns should be 0 elevation for SB style.
The two cranes can be improved with three pixel lines to make them look less skeletal.
The single mounts on each becam aft of the catapults; are they 140mm too? If so they would probably be better than an aft turret, since that would have blast implications of the aircraft stowed aft.
Draught might be a tad deep, but that's probably a matter of personal taste.
Many newer and better looking floatplanes can be found on the aircraft sheets. Perhaps the Hawker Osprey?
Um, "three pixel lines"? Does that mean three pxiels thick or...?
The AA guns are nothing doing. I don't think it was possible to have zero elevation on the 40mm/60 M/36 gyrostabilazed mount.
Those are no turrets... they are a pair of cranes... what looks like a gun is only the ramp behind it. :) :lol: ;)
I'll see to the other details though. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: Erikrike Aviation CruiserPosted: April 15th, 2012, 9:16 am
-- Um, "three pixel lines"? Does that mean three pxiels thick or...? ---

Black - ( gray ) - Black

[Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Erikrike Aviation CruiserPosted: April 15th, 2012, 9:19 am
3 pixel lines: black-colour-black instead of single black and/or double black lines.
;)
ah sniped by alex :P

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 3  [ 28 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page 1 2 3 »

Jump to: