Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ] 
Chris Roach
Post subject: WIP: RV Southern SurveyorPosted: September 24th, 2012, 10:33 am
I've been hanging round the shipbucket forum for a few years now, but this is my first serious attempt at drawing a shipbucket image from scratch in yonks (and all prior attempts were never completed)... so thought the beginners forum would be the place to post it...

So which ship? The Australian research vessel Southern Surveyor.

Why? I was aboard her on an oceanographic voyage back in August... Three days out of port a bearing somewhere in the engine overheated and we had to limp back into Fremantle. Bit of a bugger, but still after 10 days in port while things were patched up we did get back at sea and got 14 days of science done.

So, here's the current state of the drawing:
[ img ]

So a few questions:
1. How much detail do I need to bung on the various winches that litter the aft deck?
2. The crane and trawl A-frame? Draw them in the stowed positions shown in the plans, or in other positions (i.e. A frame deployed and crane side on)?
3. I'm a bit unclear on underwater details... As far as I can tell from the plans she has a twin rudder arrangement which should hide her screw, but I can't find any photos of the Southern Surveyor in dry dock to confirm this. Also, as far I'm aware the plans do not show the under-hull gondela the ship's sea floor swath mapping sonar is mounted in... again, cannot find photos in dry dock to get some idea where exactly it's installed.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Clonecommander6454
Post subject: Re: WIP: RV Southern SurveyorPosted: September 24th, 2012, 12:18 pm
Looking promising for the time.
First rule of Shipbucket: More Detail is Better.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: WIP: RV Southern SurveyorPosted: September 24th, 2012, 1:33 pm
As many as you can get away with.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: WIP: RV Southern SurveyorPosted: September 24th, 2012, 2:23 pm
Clonecommander6454 wrote:
Looking promising for the time.
First rule of Shipbucket: More Detail is Better.
Sorry, I don't see that on the guidelines and standards page we wrote years ago? Can you please direct me to it?

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: WIP: RV Southern SurveyorPosted: September 24th, 2012, 2:31 pm
Seconded !

And yes, a very good start, well done Chris, we'll all be looking forward to seeing how it develops :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Rowdy36
Post subject: Re: WIP: RV Southern SurveyorPosted: September 24th, 2012, 3:22 pm
Great start Chris, I look forward to seeing her finished :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: WIP: RV Southern SurveyorPosted: September 24th, 2012, 4:40 pm
good start chris. As for the rudders , it seems more like a Kurt-nozzle than twin rudders, but I may be mistaken.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only”

Jump to: