Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
usna2k
Post subject: USN YP 676 ClassPosted: September 25th, 2012, 3:46 pm
Hello everyone - this is my first post here. I just discovered this site yesterday and thought that the U.S. Naval Academy's training craft, the YP 676 class, would be a great start to introduce me to these drawings. It's not a warship, but every USNA midshipman trains on these at some point during their tenure there. They are being supplemented (and eventually will be replaced) by the new YP 703 class, which is slightly larger.

These craft have wood hulls and aluminum superstructures.

They are small - so I hope I chose the right canvas to use (I used a template that I believe was "small"), but since these craft are only 110' long, it looks pretty tiny even on the small canvas size.

I welcome comments and inputs!

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: USN YP 676 ClassPosted: September 25th, 2012, 3:59 pm
Not bad, not bad at all. First, welcome on shipbucket lad. We have couple of very talented designers from all around the world so you are in some Epic group. ;) :D

Of course you need to check announcements in General Discussion. There is a problem with a proper template and fonts, but nothing we can fix fast. ;) Lets wait for comments about your ship, you take real design and that's is a very good start.

Btw: WHOHO!!! 1111 posts ... nice number. :lol:

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: USN YP 676 ClassPosted: September 25th, 2012, 5:05 pm
Template:

http://www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewto ... f=5&t=1243

The basic instruction on how to draw SB.
http://www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16

an addition to the basic instructions (the new beginner's guide to SB):
http://www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewto ... f=5&t=3287

Last edited by heuhen on September 25th, 2012, 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: USN YP 676 ClassPosted: September 25th, 2012, 5:06 pm
I'd like to correct you here a bit heuhen: it is not an improvement, but an addition to the basic instructions.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: USN YP 676 ClassPosted: September 25th, 2012, 5:12 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
I'd like to correct you here a bit heuhen: it is not an improvement, but an addition to the basic instructions.
fixed! :oops:

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: USN YP 676 ClassPosted: September 25th, 2012, 6:00 pm
Welcome aboard usna2k. I will say, you've got a good start there. One thing to keep in mind, the font sizes for the template are given in terms of the text generated by photoshop, not paint. for MS Paint the large text should be 10 or 11 point and the small should be 7 or 8 point. If you use Paint.NET or the Gimp, then sizes of 10.5 and 7.5 are preferred.

Again, welcome aboard!

[Profile] [Quote]
usna2k
Post subject: Re: USN YP 676 ClassPosted: September 25th, 2012, 7:18 pm
Gotcha - that makes sense and I should have caught that on my own. Thanks much.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: USN YP 676 ClassPosted: September 25th, 2012, 7:39 pm
Welcome to the Shipbucket usna2k. :)
Although I don't know this ship, several small nit-picks: You seem to lack contour on screw, I'd suggest using different anchor and "thicker" radar (if it's that "T" thing over the bridge), in some places You have double black line and generally You're using too much black (generally it's used only on "outside" contours and 90deg. edges - non-90deg. edges are simply dark grey - or what is the color of that particular part).
But generally it's a good start. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
usna2k
Post subject: Re: USN YP 676 ClassPosted: September 26th, 2012, 10:32 am
eswube wrote:
Welcome to the Shipbucket usna2k. :)
Although I don't know this ship, several small nit-picks: You seem to lack contour on screw, I'd suggest using different anchor and "thicker" radar (if it's that "T" thing over the bridge), in some places You have double black line and generally You're using too much black (generally it's used only on "outside" contours and 90deg. edges - non-90deg. edges are simply dark grey - or what is the color of that particular part).
But generally it's a good start. :)
For accuracy's sake, the boot topping on the YP is rather large for a craft of its size; hence why the waterline looks "thick." As for the other uses of black, the thick lines on the hull proper are actually the rubber bumpers installed to prevent hull damage during pier landing drills. I am a former USN officer (9 years serving in frigates and several other types) and qualified craftmaster on these boats while at the Naval Academy, so I have a little experience with these craft. And roger on the black on the non 90 degree areas; I will make some edits and re-upload.

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: USN YP 676 ClassPosted: September 26th, 2012, 10:39 am
The bumpers are usually done in dark grey rather than black. Same with the boot topping. The waterline itself is drawn as a single black line.
Also, the upper edge of the bulwark should be drawn in black, rather than the brown you've used. I realize what you're trying to illustrate, but this isn't the way to go about it.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: