Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2
usna2k
Post subject: Re: USN YP 676 ClassPosted: September 27th, 2012, 12:12 pm
Thiel wrote:
The bumpers are usually done in dark grey rather than black. Same with the boot topping. The waterline itself is drawn as a single black line.
Also, the upper edge of the bulwark should be drawn in black, rather than the brown you've used. I realize what you're trying to illustrate, but this isn't the way to go about it.
Okay, let's try this again - I have made changes which I think reflect the input of everyone so far. However, there are some that I will not implement - for example, the upper edge of the bulwark of this craft is made of stained/varnished wood, which runs the entire length of the boat. Thus, I reflected this by the brown line. The anchor is a very small Danforth type, and is accurately depicted in my drawing. I believe I am qualified enough to know what these craft look like - as I stated, I am a former USN officer and trained on these craft for four years.

[ img ]

For reference, a photo of the actual craft:

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re:Posted: September 27th, 2012, 2:44 pm
Would you allow me to make some modifications this evening? I see some points that might use some improvement, but I am not certain so I'd rather try myself ;)

also, I'd like to note that knowing an ship in real life is something else then knowing how to draw it in shipbucket. When you know how to, knowing what you are actually drawing is the thing that makes some the best shipbucket artists

[Profile] [Quote]
usna2k
Post subject: Re: USN YP 676 ClassPosted: September 27th, 2012, 4:46 pm
Sure thing - since I went from scratch I know I'm probably out to lunch on some standards; I tried as best I could. I am going to post another drawing that I have just done (separate thread).

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: USN YP 676 ClassPosted: September 27th, 2012, 4:57 pm
Usna2k - kind of problem with drawing here is that it is a constant struggle between what is desired, what is possible and what is allowed. ;)
I still see some issues with black edges, non-standard anchor (in the Parts Sheets You can find some very small ones) etc.

I hope that You won't have anything against, but I tried to draw this ship myself now (not a modification of Yours but done from scratch). I based it on this site:
http://chesapeakenavalheritagefoundatio ... hotos.html
and I don't know how much the drawing there is accurate, so I don't claim that my attempt is, but I wanted to try to give You some comparison about stylistic issues.

[ img ]

Last edited by eswube on September 27th, 2012, 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: USN YP 676 ClassPosted: September 27th, 2012, 5:04 pm
eswube just adressed most of the things I wanted to do with his drawing.
the anchor is not entirely like the real ship and the 'bumper strips' should IMO be a bit darker, but other then that it looks like what should be done.
I will refrain from my fixes on your drawing, as this is explanation enough, but feel free to ask questions. (here or by pm)

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: USN YP 676 ClassPosted: September 27th, 2012, 5:09 pm
Acelanceloet - comment about anchor and "bumper strips" was about original drawing or was it about my drawing?
Anchor is taken from Parts Sheet (smallest I could found there, besides such parts on SB are quite often "not entirely like the real ship" ;) ) and shade of "strips" is based on photos in link on which I based it (in the sense that they are in the general hull colour).

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: USN YP 676 ClassPosted: September 27th, 2012, 5:11 pm
about yours, eswube ;) apart from those things, it was almost exact what I would do! :P
parts sheets are not always perfect, I would have tried to draw my own to match the pic ;)
the strips itself are the right colour, but the line that shows them could stand out a bit more IMO to represent the real ship.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: USN YP 676 ClassPosted: September 27th, 2012, 5:17 pm
Well, maybe indeed the line of the strips could be slightly darker (at least the lower ones, to show shade below), but I guess that the point was made through Your comments, so I guess I won't fix it on the drawing itself. ;)
As for the drawing the own anchor - well, I guess that for the "Beginners Drawing Forum" we could skip that part. ;)

EDIT: Well, actually I did a small fix on the drawing. ;) I noticed that accidentially I cut the top of the mast, so I fixed it and changed the shade of the bottom part of the "stripes" to slightly darker.
Note, that it could be not visible without refreshing.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2

Jump to: