interesting. while indeed top heavy quite a bit, something could be done about that.
weapon and drawing wise there is something to do though.
- first of all: it makes me think of the DDV-1 and later concepts for an burke hull with frigate abilities. http://books.google.nl/books?id=Tzp58ht ... ts&f=false
- vossiej recently updated the DDG-51 drawing. while the newer batches of this class are not yet updated to that standard, it would look much better to use this drawing
for parts for your ship.
- as your helicopter hangar is relatively low on your drawing, I would say you could keep the SPY-1 lower then it is on the flight 2A ships, maybe even back to the DDG-51 position. this will keep top weight down
- lengthening the ship 20 meters wouldn't hurt. best would be to do so between the engine room and the helicopter hangar. will explain that in later points
- I wonder why your ship has the oto melara 76. if the 5 in fits, why would you not fit it?
- same for the Mk 48. note that the Mk 48 cannot fire ASROC nor SM-2MR.
- there is a lot of weight in the forward half of the ship now. this will make your ship heel forward.... unless you add a lot of ballast, which is less then ideal.
- single propellor means an reliability drop for lower cost. because of that, and because the design work for the DDG-51 class is of course already done, I would keep the double prop. if you keep the sinlge one, you are going to need an backup propulsion system somewhere, like the perry had.
- you will need bilge keels, even for an ship with an beam this large. active stabilising rudders would be an idea too
- I agree with thiel about the heli hangar. 2 helicopters is what made perry attractive and what makes the burke an ASW platform.
- you'll want the Mk 32 torpedo tubes as near to the helicopter hangar as possible, so you can share the magazines.
- look in the USN parts thread and the belowdeck parts thread for any parts not mentioned above.
so, what I would do:
- lengthen the ship with 20 meters. in that space, I'd add an small uptake (for diesel generators) which both make your turbine space spacier and at the same time act as counterbalance to get the CoG more aft.
- go to double hangar. put one phalanx on top of the hangar, move the other one forward (why would you opt for an less then ideal setup when space is free for the ideal one!)
- lower the SPY-1. maybe even consider an smaller SPY-1 radar version, or the switch to the NTU radars
- use as much as possible from the burke hull, especially sonar and propulsion.
- put 2 blocks Mk 56 or 1 block Mk 41 self defence length between the hangars, purely for ESSM. 24 or 32 missiles respectively are able to do the ships self defence, leaving the forward Mk 41 to SM-2MR, ASROC and Tomahawk.
and other then that I would keep DDG-51 systems as much as possible, maybe only downgrading some high cost stuff like the 'crows nest' IFF or, as you have done, the SLQ-32 to V2.