Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 2  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: WIP - USN Mitscher class (DDG 35)Posted: October 3rd, 2012, 2:43 am
Thank you for your service. As for the screw, that's one of the oldest drawn parts in the bucket, and even the person who drew it has said that it's a very poorly drawn part. The solution would be to look at the Australian or German CFA screws (which I was under the mistaken impression that they had been uploaded). This is what they look like:

[ img ]

As for the shading, I would reduce it to two or three shades at most. I understand that the front of the structures in question are curved, but the shading you have used is a bit over what the standards allow. As for out of date parts, there are correct ASROCs and Tartars in the USN parts sheet.

Fix the aforementioned items, add a few superstructure details (such as equipment attached the sides of the superstructure) and I think she'll be good to go.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: WIP - USN Mitscher class (DDG 35)Posted: October 3rd, 2012, 4:15 am
Hi there, you need to revisit the scaling on this drawing. I had planned on drawing this ship because there is an excellent reference drawing in Friedman's US Destroyers, but had never gotten around to it. Nonetheless, I had assembled a pretty sizable collection of references, including a large size scan of the Friedman's drawing. It was clear from first glance that this drawing was incorrectly scaled. See the below image for what I mean:

[ img ]

On second thought, I wouldn't worry about the "draft" measurement; pretty sure that changed a bit depending on the ship's load. But the overall length scaling issue, despite being only about 10 pixels, is still enough to make the drawing inaccurate.

I would also consult the navsource page for the ship to find good images to iron out details. Might also check some ship modelling websites as they often have good high res images of ship models that can be used to enhance your understanding of what you are drawing; in cases where the source drawings are blurry and a bit "unreadable", often looking at ship model pictures has helped me figure out what exactly it is that I'm looking at.

I am not the expert for which parts are the latest revision as my drawings are primarily Second World War era. Will gladly provide the high-res copy of the Friedman's drawing via PM if you would like.

Either way, glad to see someone who wants to contribute accurate drawings of real life ships right off the bat rather than bad kitbashes. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
graham
Post subject: Re: WIP - USN Mitscher class (DDG 35)Posted: October 3rd, 2012, 7:50 am
USNA2K
I have a couple of drawings of theses ships in their early configuration plus a few photos views of these ships in their modified DDG version are a bit few and far between :(

Graham

http://s719.photobucket.com/albums/ww199/graham003/

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: WIP - USN Mitscher class (DDG 35)Posted: October 3rd, 2012, 1:11 pm
I'm sorry if my comment came as a heartless critique. I commend you on your effort, but I had the feeling that the ship looked wrong somehow. Seeing Colosseum's overlaid images gave it all away. I will defrain from commenting further, as my expertise, if you can call it that, lies elsewhere.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 2  [ 14 posts ]  Return to β€œBeginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2

Jump to: