Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 12  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 512 »
sabotage181
Post subject: Re: CG(X) option two 23,000 ton BMD CGN(X)Posted: May 23rd, 2013, 4:04 am
ok, spent all night tonight working this. It's still very much a WIP and I will consider any suggestions, and welcome any comments

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
sabotage181
Post subject: Re: CG(X) option two 23,000 ton BMD CGN(X)Posted: May 23rd, 2013, 4:06 am
oh yeah, forgot I was going to ask if anybody uses the blue underwater paint or is it red only?

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: CG(X) option two 23,000 ton BMD CGN(X)Posted: May 23rd, 2013, 4:22 am
I've got a file with the colors for the blue paint around someplace. Your drawing still has a lot of pixel and coloration errors. The best advice I can give right now is to look for places where you have either gaps in the black lines and places where you have two black lines with nothing between them.

[Profile] [Quote]
sabotage181
Post subject: Re: CG(X) option two 23,000 ton BMD CGN(X)Posted: May 24th, 2013, 2:18 am
ok, got some more work done today. got a lot of errors fixed, although I do realize there are more. the shafts being one. I want this ship to have electric drive and I'm not quite sure how to go about it. I know that putting the drive motor right in front of the screw would be the most efficient way to do it. However, I'm not sure how big the motor would need to be and I'm wondering if it would be so big as to impede water flow to the screw. In that case I would want to put it in the ship and have a shaft. Any ideas of suggestions on this issue? Also, I measure 36 feet to the bottom of the SONAR dome? Is this too deep. Most ships are about 30 feet aren't they??

Anyway, I'm seeing spots when I look at my drawing so I should probably call it a night.

Fair seas

Joe

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: CG(X) option two 23,000 ton BMD CGN(X)Posted: May 24th, 2013, 3:27 am
The electric motor doesn't need to be mounted in front of the screw, you just have it mounted inside the ship like any other motors.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: CG(X) option two 23,000 ton BMD CGN(X)Posted: May 24th, 2013, 3:41 pm
It's getting there.

*pats on back*

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: CG(X) option two 23,000 ton BMD CGN(X)Posted: May 24th, 2013, 5:33 pm
Agreed :) This reminds me of a USN repost to the Slava class, but so much more capable; please keep going this is very interesting.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: CG(X) option two 23,000 ton BMD CGN(X)Posted: May 24th, 2013, 5:54 pm
I have a few comments....
- if you go for shading for the angled surfaces, I would go for lighter grey forward and darker aft, instead of both dark. also, take a look where to use grey and where black lines, less then 90 degrees turns are represented by grey lines in shipbucket style.
- you might want to take parts from this slightly updated drawing of the burke instead of the older ones (notably bridge, phalanx positions and the mast have been much improved)
- I would suggest looking for another RAM position, the current one is very limited in firing angle
- SPS-49 was not really an back up, but the SPY-1 was at first not used as search radar. only from the burke version onward this was the case, IIRC.
- the propellers seem a bit on the small side.
- the hangar height might be a tad low, I suggest lowering the helideck to VLS deck level.
- the bow seems a tad long, you might be able to loose some length by cutting that by about 10-20 meters without loosing any capabilities
- the rudder seems a bit on the small side
- I am wondering why you would go nuclear electric, it might be a tad better for the turbines but your power efficiency is lower..... care to explain the reason for this?
- it might just be me, but have you shortened the height of the phalanxes or something? they look off.
- I also think this ship is a tad oversized, the CSGN's were all between 12000 and 18000 (except for one note of the Mk 2, but that is flight deck version, this would have been 25000 tons) where yours would be 18000...... I see no reason why this ship would go over the long beach's displacement, as her arnament would actually be lighter, her specifications similar and her requirements similar as well.....

this might help, take a look what size the mentioned systems need belowdecks here http://www.shipbucket.com/images.php?di ... nchers.png and here http://www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewto ... =16&t=2755 , although you seem to have at least an reasonable grasp of this already.
keep up the good work, ship design wise it seems allright already.

[Profile] [Quote]
sabotage181
Post subject: Re: CG(X) option two 23,000 ton BMD CGN(X)Posted: May 24th, 2013, 9:36 pm
ok, have to go help a friend move for the rest of the day. I thank everyone for their comments and suggestions. I will explore the suggestions tomorrow. Here is my latest up-date. I've made some changes that I like in the layout. what do ya'll think? I particularly like the 32 foot seark. drew it myself :)

[ img ]

Again, I thank you all for comments and suggestions

Joe

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: CG(X) option two 23,000 ton BMD CGN(X)Posted: May 25th, 2013, 10:37 pm
Certainly making good progress. I'd encourage you to think about more illuminators and bigger phased arrays. You've not bought yourself a ton (wah wah) with a ship this size; two Burkes would be a lot more effective. What a larger ship can buy you is absurdly colossal radar sets. Moving forward with some of the current BMD systems, it's looking like the 12ft-class X-band array just doesn't offer enough discrimination to fully leverage, eg, full-bore SM-3.

You'll also want to split up your lifeboat complement into more small groups; regulations-wise, I think you need to be able to lose an entire block (to fire or fragmentation or whatever) and still fit the full crew. I have the relevant open-source NAVSEA document somewhere, if you're curious.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 12  [ 118 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 512 »

Jump to: