Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ] 
JSB
Post subject: MV Loch NevisPosted: January 30th, 2014, 3:43 pm
Hi,
I thought I would start small for my first real ship (that wasn't just copying and pasting others work) so I give you the Cal Mac MV Loch Nevis 49m and servers nice food to.

[ img ]

[ img ]

Its not finished so feel free to give me any feed back how I can do it better / how to shade properly etc.
Thanks JSB

Last edited by JSB on January 30th, 2014, 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: MV Loch NevisPosted: January 30th, 2014, 4:51 pm
Very good effort, but I would suggest you check the windows color (seems off, to me, but that may be my monitor). Also the name on the hull seems to be aliased and the ship's name looks blurry.
Credits lines do not conform with Shipbucket's standard and so is the template (it may have been resized by your image host).
That is all for now, from me.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Charybdis
Post subject: Re: MV Loch NevisPosted: January 30th, 2014, 5:32 pm
Very nice start! Nice to see somebody tackling real designs. I think its the best way to learn.

Just out of interest, did you use photos or a plan for your drawing? I always find that the best accuracy can be found when using a blueprint of the ship to get the basic shape then use photos for detail, otherwise theres a lot of guess work.

The lettering on the hull seems anti aliased, I think there are some small fonts in the parts sheets.

I think the bridge needs to be compressed, lengthways and moved forward a touch (from other photos I can see on the web).

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: MV Loch NevisPosted: January 30th, 2014, 6:06 pm
Hi yes,
I used a photo from the side (the wrong side but only the rib area is different ) ,
[ img ]

but not sure how to scale it down without making it quite blurry ?( :idea: or should have traced then scaled ?) I then traced over it in ms paint and blanked it out pixel by pixel, yes their must be an essayer way but not sure how ? ( layers ? Can you pick up just one colour out of a picture ) then filled it in, any tips would be gratefully received.

Thank JSB

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: MV Loch NevisPosted: February 2nd, 2014, 2:01 pm
[ img ]

I have fixed a few things feel free to point out any more errors (not sure if my badge is to standard and it doesn't fit but it is the real CalMac logo ? ).
Thanks JSB

edit: thanks fixed windows, does anybody have a good tutorial on how to do all of this (I have found and read a few allready) or just how to use MS paint properly ?

Last edited by JSB on February 2nd, 2014, 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: MV Loch NevisPosted: February 2nd, 2014, 2:08 pm
I would think the bridge windows should have some white between them, as they are not an full glass area.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only”

Jump to: