Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 6  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Ruterra
Post subject: New Federal Republic of Aznaiza DestoyersPosted: March 26th, 2014, 5:19 pm
I was updating my Nationstates nation the other day when I came up with a brilliant idea for some destroyer designs.

My nation is supposed to take place in a post-apocolypic world where all modern nations collapse and new ones rise from the ashes. As a result these new nations use old designs to rebuild their militaries. This design in particular is a Gearing class destroyer that was designed by many other ship bucket users. After losing some ships in a large war my nation's navy must try to fill the roles of larger ships with smaller ships. As a response the Henderson Class Destroyers where drawn up as being versatile ships that could be built cheaply, quickly and fill the role of larger ships until such ships could be built. The Henderson Class was split into three categories; Anti-submarine warfare, Anti-air, and anti-surface. Each category had it's own unique version of the vessel to suit the needs of the specified catagory.

Just as a reminder in this era the world has access to only 1960-1970's technology after most modern technology is destroyed or is too difficult to produce without modern machinery.

In my option I am happy with how these ships came out. They kind of remind me of the littoral class ships the US is currently building. I just wanted to get some opinions on my work.

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: New Federal Republic of Aznaiza DestoyersPosted: March 26th, 2014, 5:27 pm
Technically, the drawings are pretty well done. From a design standpoint, all three are disastrously overloaded.

[Profile] [Quote]
Syzmo
Post subject: Re: New Federal Republic of Aznaiza DestoyersPosted: March 26th, 2014, 5:53 pm
As someone who works on museum ships the idea behind this appeals to me. Just to clarify these are completely newly built ships, not old hulls with new technology grafted on?

The idea of mission specific ships scares me, too much chance of not having what you need where you need it. It is much better to have a few ships that can do everything well, or a lot of ships that can do everything to some extent.

As for the design, should I assume that by deleting a smoke stack you have also deleted half the engineering spaces (limiting the speed to 20 knots or so) to try and help with all the top weight associated with all the new weapons and sensors?

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." Thomas Edward Lawrence, The Seven Pillars of Wisdom

[Profile] [Quote]
LBraden
Post subject: Re: New Federal Republic of Aznaiza DestoyersPosted: March 26th, 2014, 5:58 pm
I noticed they are blurry, makes me a little irritated at image hosting sites for doing that, but the designs look interesting.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: New Federal Republic of Aznaiza DestoyersPosted: March 26th, 2014, 6:05 pm
LBraden wrote:
I noticed they are blurry, makes me a little irritated at image hosting sites for doing that, but the designs look interesting.
that because he have saved them as JPG-file and not as an PNG-file. but at the same time Photobucket have re sized the picture. but he need to fix that to by adjusting his settings in Photobucket.

[Profile] [Quote]
Shipright
Post subject: Re: New Federal Republic of Aznaiza DestoyersPosted: March 26th, 2014, 6:10 pm
On the third one, I am guessing there is not another set of those box launchers pointing port and I don't think you have the beam for another set behind them...

Do the rotate? If so they seem like they would hit each other.

[Profile] [Quote]
LBraden
Post subject: Re: New Federal Republic of Aznaiza DestoyersPosted: March 26th, 2014, 6:15 pm
heuhen wrote:
LBraden wrote:
that because he have saved them as JPG-file and not as an PNG-file. but at the same time Photobucket have re sized the picture. but he need to fix that to by adjusting his settings in Photobucket.

Aye, it looks more like the photobucket resizing instead of jpg artifacting.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: New Federal Republic of Aznaiza DestoyersPosted: March 26th, 2014, 7:00 pm
My good friend, do you have any notion, even the basic inkling of how ships - real, functional ships - work?

I knew NationStates was a joke, and sadly your misfits seem to only confirm that impression.

(I know that was harsh, but someone needs to speak up against such abominations appearing on Shipbucket!)

Please, consider re-starting; maybe using a more modern hull, with a far better blanced outfit of weapons and sensors. Then I promise I will judge it in earnest.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: New Federal Republic of Aznaiza DestoyersPosted: March 26th, 2014, 7:10 pm
other then the designs being horribly overloaded, there is not much wrong with them design wise, bezo?
I mean, no, the designs are not good, but for somebody just starting here that seems like an horrible reaction.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: New Federal Republic of Aznaiza DestoyersPosted: March 26th, 2014, 7:32 pm
LBraden wrote:
heuhen wrote:
LBraden wrote:

Aye, it looks more like the photobucket resizing instead of jpg artifacting.
if you open the drawing in an seperate link or just download it, you will notice that the drawing is called "something.JPG". That means the drawing is an JPG-file. remember I have been around a bit, so if I say an drawing is an JPG-file it is JPG-file. that it's! ;)

and this drawing is both re-sized and an JPG-file. trust me I know this, I'm expert!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 6  [ 58 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 6 »

Jump to: