[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 8  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 58 »
battleship lover
Post subject: I'm newPosted: April 30th, 2014, 3:20 am
[ img ]
this is my first ship. Please give me feed back and I'm new

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: I'm newPosted: April 30th, 2014, 3:46 am
The first step is to find an image host that doesn't resize your drawing.
But from what I can see you need to remove all the sponsoons on the freeboard.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
battleship lover
Post subject: Re: I'm newPosted: April 30th, 2014, 4:15 am
what is a sponsoons

[Profile] [Quote]
battleship lover
Post subject: Re: I'm newPosted: April 30th, 2014, 4:17 am
[ img ]
does it work now?

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: I'm newPosted: April 30th, 2014, 6:40 am
Still resized, I recommend not using tinypic, its a bit odd on that, majhost is easiest I find.

Sponsoons are those protruding "balconies" from the side of the hull

Edit; Did the UN announce some sort of "Battleship shortage" while I was asleep? Why must we draw continually "modern" battleships? When its been done to death almost every month?

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: I'm newPosted: April 30th, 2014, 9:36 am
Hi welcome,
As a beginner myself I just have a few comments, this ship has lots of 'mixing' both in weapons types and dates (when was your ship laid down/ built ?).
- Such as it has stealth guns (from 155/62AGS ) and none stealth guns (phalanx) this askes the question when was it made ? Stealth guns are probably very expensive compared to none stealth guns so why bother if the whole ship isn't stealthed ?
- missiles are also very mixed and don't match time wise ( stealth would have VLS, box tomahawk is 1980s ).
- Your radars are very low down (SPY type) why have the best radars at the bottom with the worst line of sights ? (and why have other very dated and less good radars up high when SPY can do everything ? ). (SPG51 - SPY on same ship !!!! ;) 1960s-2000s ?)
- CIWS cost money ! why have so many (as does everything else and I can see 20mm, 30mm, 57mm, 75mm, 128mm and 155mm ? do you need more than 2 or 3 types ? what cant you do with just 30mm and 155mm ?)

You need to decide the date (and then swap some stuff around to fit) /mission (you can prioritize what you need v what you just want) and then you can cut this ship in 1/2 (or 1/3 ;) ) and still have loads of capability and it will give you 2 ships for the same cost (can be in 2 places at once and harder to sink).

JSB

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: I'm newPosted: April 30th, 2014, 9:59 am
For now you need to ask yourself two question.
1) What is the mission
What do you want the ship to do, where are it going to do it, how long is it going to do it for, how many are you going to make etc.
2) How big is the budget.
You don't have to be terribly accurate here, but it's nice to know whether we're dealing with Nigeria or 1950ies USN.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: I'm newPosted: April 30th, 2014, 10:04 am
Hi Battleship lover,

There's a few things I would change on this drawing, I'll just go left to right and list the stuff I'm not sure about. I'm sure the more technically competent members of this forum (which is everybody) can find other stuff to point out, but this is the stuff I've noticed

1) VLS above rudder - VLS cells are quite deep, 2-3 decks, so I'm not sure if one directly above the rudder will leave room for the machinery to actually make the rudder work
2) Propellors - I think the propellors are a bit small for this size of ship, but I'm not sure.
3) Lots of different gun calibres - Iowa had 16", 5" and a 40mm / 20mm (or 28mm /12.7 mm, I think) light AA battery. It's difficult to tell precisely what calibers you are carrying but I can make out at least 8" and 6" and I think 3" too. Having so many calibres means that you have to carry a little of every sort of ammunition, which makes it more likely you'll run out of the calibre that you need at an inopportune moment, but it also means that your ammunition re-supply ships have to do the same sort of thing, so it means that everybody ends up with less of the ammunition that they needed.
4) Sponsons - As Rodondo has said, they're the bits that stick out from the side. They're a good solution to some problems, however, the guns that you are mounting in the sponsons have quite a lot of gun underneath the deck that just won't fit into the sponsons drawn. Also, as the sponson is lower down, it can get water washing over it, making the equipment on the sponson more difficult to work and less reliable.
5) Radars - Some of your radars have placement issues - You've got some of the flat-panel SPY radars facing crew spaces and weapons - this is a (non-ionising, granted) radiation hazard for the crew and kit, as you'll basically be microwaving them \ it. Other radars, for instance the aft APAR, have one face largely blocked by the funnel.
6) The funnel - I'm no expert, but it looks like the funnel is quite small for the size of the ship - this is indicative of the engine power, so, if I'm right, this would be a bit of a slow ship.
7) VLS placement - in addition to taking up a fair bit of space, VLS structures are quite heavy. Move ships try and keep the VLS cells as low as possible.
8) Door in the side of the hull - this has a couple of effects, firstly, it weakens the structure of the ship, second, it lets water leak in - so if the ship picks up a list, this will make it more difficult to keep the ship floating.
9) Anchors - I see four anchors but no equipment to lower or raise any!

I'm sure others will come up with better, more comprehensive critiques but that's just the stuff I've noticed.

Ad

[Profile] [Quote]
battleship lover
Post subject: Re: I'm newPosted: April 30th, 2014, 10:26 pm
thanks for comments guys! :)

[Profile] [Quote]
battleship lover
Post subject: Re: I'm newPosted: April 30th, 2014, 11:11 pm
Thiel wrote:
For now you need to ask yourself two question.
1) What is the mission
What do you want the ship to do, where are it going to do it, how long is it going to do it for, how many are you going to make etc.
2) How big is the budget.
You don't have to be terribly accurate here, but it's nice to know whether we're dealing with Nigeria or 1950ies USN.
1) the mission is to design a BB that can attack ships from a range and do land bombardment. Also I wanted the ship to survive its natural enemy the plane. Lastly I wanted it to survive missile attacks. I wanted the ship to be the capital ship of a navy. The ships largest calibers were inspired from the USS Zumwalt but only bigger and could be replaced with rail guns. So the ship is supposed to be used for a while before the ship is too outdated to use. The hull would have to be built in separate pieces the welded together. Then the super structure is built on top with all the weapons.

2) around $30 billion dollars

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 8  [ 78 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 58 »

Jump to: