Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 3  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 »
Eturu
Post subject: U.S.C.G. 47' Aluminum motor life boatPosted: April 30th, 2014, 4:38 pm
My first SB scale ship: a U.S. Coast Guard, 47' Aluminum motor life boat. A small start but a start. :)
[ img ]
The forked antenna things are a little out of scale for detail. Anything else wrong with it, please let me know

Update:
Changed some of the colors, added rudder/propeller, and template
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: U.S.C.G. 47' Aluminum motor life boatPosted: April 30th, 2014, 6:15 pm
Welcome to Shipbucket Eturu!
First of all, I have to say that I really like that You begun Your presence here with a small, real-life vessel instead of fictional mega-hyper future battleship. ;)
It's a nice start, but... I have some critical remarks:
-first of all, You must use standard template (in this case 1000x385) and proper fonts in description,
http://www.shipbucket.com/images.php?di ... /Templates
-secondly, we don't show the waterline outside the ship (meaning: we don't show the water itself),
-but we do mark the waterline on the ship itself (unless for some reason it's impossible/impractical) by black line (and typically the underwater part of fuselage is shown in a color very different than hull (most ships I know of have it painted in red or green, but perhaps this one has it indeed grey, so I'm not going to insist). And color of hull - as per rules - is to be bit darker than of the superstructures,
-windows/portholes should be outlined in black (yeah, I know it can be a pain at that size),
-railings should be made to standard (vertical lines with 5 pixels of space between, horizontal lines with 2 pixels of space between),
-I think that there is too much black in the mast/antenna arrangement - I guess that some of these lines (particularly antennas) could be made in grey - and generally avoid double black lines,
-are You sure that the USCG racing stripe should be black?

[Profile] [Quote]
Syzmo
Post subject: Re: U.S.C.G. 47' Aluminum motor life boatPosted: April 30th, 2014, 6:21 pm
Great looking first drawing. Congratulations on being in the minority of people who start small and work their way to bigger and better things after getting the style right, I certainly wasn't that smart. Can't wait to see what come next.

Welcome aboard.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." Thomas Edward Lawrence, The Seven Pillars of Wisdom

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: U.S.C.G. 47' Aluminum motor life boatPosted: April 30th, 2014, 6:52 pm
Welcome aboard, and I second the above on your choice of a starter project. I can't comment on the ship itself, as I don't know the type, and styling issues had all been addressed by eswube, so may I welcome you aboard.
Good work.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Eturu
Post subject: Re: U.S.C.G. 47' Aluminum motor life boatPosted: April 30th, 2014, 7:30 pm
eswube wrote:
Welcome to Shipbucket Eturu!
First of all, I have to say that I really like that You begun Your presence here with a small, real-life vessel instead of fictional mega-hyper future battleship. ;)
It's a nice start, but... I have some critical remarks:
-first of all, You must use standard template (in this case 1000x385) and proper fonts in description,
http://www.shipbucket.com/images.php?di ... /Templates
-secondly, we don't show the waterline outside the ship (meaning: we don't show the water itself),
-but we do mark the waterline on the ship itself (unless for some reason it's impossible/impractical) by black line (and typically the underwater part of fuselage is shown in a color very different than hull (most ships I know of have it painted in red or green, but perhaps this one has it indeed grey, so I'm not going to insist). And color of hull - as per rules - is to be bit darker than of the superstructures,
-windows/portholes should be outlined in black (yeah, I know it can be a pain at that size),
-railings should be made to standard (vertical lines with 5 pixels of space between, horizontal lines with 2 pixels of space between),
-I think that there is too much black in the mast/antenna arrangement - I guess that some of these lines (particularly antennas) could be made in grey - and generally avoid double black lines,
-are You sure that the USCG racing stripe should be black?
first and second points I fixed in the update of my first post
I've now fixed the windows, added black water line, grayed mast/antennas and fixed stripes lol (the reference image I was using is black and white :oops: ) here:
[ img ]
the railings on bridge and aft are standard as I can get them and the rails forward are accurate to the original, please excuse them.

Thanks everyone for the replies and welcomes.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: U.S.C.G. 47' Aluminum motor life boatPosted: April 30th, 2014, 7:52 pm
Now it seems that windows are composed only of outline - I suggest You keep the blue part more-or-less as it was, and black outline make at the expense of the "white" around (for practical purposes it would mean slight change to the roof shape).
With masts/antennas I'd rather use darker grey, but most importantly - keep masts black and antennas grey. ;)
As for the railings, I don't think we have on SB such thing like "railings accurate to the original" (except when they can't be done standard way) - they just have to be with two horizontal lines - but that's something on which perhaps Admins should voice an opinion.

[Profile] [Quote]
Eturu
Post subject: Re: U.S.C.G. 47' Aluminum motor life boatPosted: April 30th, 2014, 9:17 pm
I see what you mean about the windows and masts/antennas (hard to tell which is which, from a blue print) so I fixed them. Also I found some better pics of the ship so I removed some of the antennas, added a radar and changed some of the hull colors, so here the update:
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
LEUT_East
Post subject: Re: U.S.C.G. 47' Aluminum motor life boatPosted: April 30th, 2014, 10:16 pm
Great first effort Sir. It is really good to see these smaller vessels making an appearance on this forum. Looking forward to the next drawing mate.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: U.S.C.G. 47' Aluminum motor life boatPosted: May 1st, 2014, 8:04 am
Better now. :)
But upon looking on photos of that class in the net - this for example:
http://www.boatingsf.com/rendition.full ... edited.jpg
I believe that the contour of that "flat U"-shaped cut-out in the hull should be black, and that the deck level visible in it should be black also, as it looks like it's not in one line with superstructure, so there is a "sharp edge" (which needs to be black).

[Profile] [Quote]
maomatic
Post subject: Re: U.S.C.G. 47' Aluminum motor life boatPosted: May 1st, 2014, 9:25 am
A very nice first entry! Keep it up!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 3  [ 21 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page 1 2 3 »

Jump to: