Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 4  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 »
waterwings
Post subject: Missing current RN shipsPosted: January 30th, 2015, 3:13 pm
Hello Shipbucket,

I hope this is the right place. It's my first time and I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm midway through applying to be an officer in the RN - as part of my preparation, and let's be honest, procrastination, I made a personal wall chart using the shipbucket images of current RN ships to help me revise Navy knowledge. It's been a great help. However, there are a few ships missing from the current RN line-up. I thought I'd take a crack at them, not in any serious attempt to reach Shipbucket standards but just something that I could use to fill in the gaps. I hope I haven't stepped on anyone's toes; I've used the previous RN ships for inspiration and for things like flags which I couldn't get to look good. I started with Scimitar, Sabre and Gleaner, which I couldn't find anywhere, because they were small and seemed straightforward, then I got overambitious and had a go at HMS Echo and the new River class.

HMS Scimitar
[ img ]

HMS Sabre
[ img ]

HMSML Gleaner
[ img ]

HMS Echo
[ img ]

New River - HMS Forth (Irritating that it's the fifth ship of the class, but never mind)
[ img ]

The Merlin used to be on the deck but it stuck out so far over the end that I had to move it or it would have been cut off. It looks daft on the real thing anyway, so I hope I put it vaguely in the right place.

(Also, when I first started drawing it I used the Omani OPV image that's already on the website because they're based on the same design ... it's still got the same bow waterline to stem curve, everything else I had to change. Should there be credit assigned to MConrads on the diagram somewhere?)

I'd appreciate your feedback and criticism and whatever else! I know there's probably tons wrong with them, but I thought I'd put them up here and you guys could maybe help me improve them. I've achieved my main aim of filling the gaps in on my sheet so any other value they may have is a bonus.

Thanks guys :)

Waterwings

[Edited to show images normal size & using the templates]

Last edited by waterwings on January 31st, 2015, 5:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: Missing current RN shipsPosted: January 30th, 2015, 6:31 pm
Fine 1st attempts mate and good luck with your application. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Missing current RN shipsPosted: January 30th, 2015, 6:47 pm
Welcome aboard, and for a first effort it is just fine and AFIK these were not done previously.
Good luck with your application.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
CraigH
Post subject: Re: Missing current RN shipsPosted: January 30th, 2015, 8:16 pm
Waterwings,
Great initial effort!

Now dig around for the background templates and tutorials. Barring that use drawings that others have completed. Copy and paste your work onto them while aligning to the scale bar and transom and waterlines of the old work or template.

Change the text using other drawings as a guide (10px and 7px).

Then you're just about there. I'm not in a place to check your scale pr linework right now but hopefully somebody else can provide pointers.

Welcome Aboard to this scurvy lot.

CraigH

Some railroad stuff
More random stuff that strikes me!

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Missing current RN shipsPosted: January 30th, 2015, 9:09 pm
Welcome aboard indeed. Your work looks intresting, so I adjoin the comments, take a peak around how the others post their work, and perahps find some imagehost that allows you to post fullsized pictures here. majhost or photobucket or use the dropbox.
Templates we use can be found here

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Missing current RN shipsPosted: January 30th, 2015, 11:05 pm
Welcome to the Shipbucket!
These are nice beginnings. As has been already mentioned more or less directly: try to find a hosting site that will allow us to see the drawings directly in the intended size and use the proper templates.
Good luck on Your way to become the officer in the Royal Navy! :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Missing current RN shipsPosted: February 1st, 2015, 9:47 am
Welcome aboard!

These are very nice starters. I'm no expert on the latest of the RN vessels, but generally they look good. You might want to check out the RN parts sheets for radars etc. but generally these look good and follow SB standards. You need to check the propeller shafts on the Forth, double black lines are a no-no if they can be avoided. Generally we would use a three pixel wide shaft (black-red-black).

I think someone recently did the Scimitars as their entrance piece too, but yours look good and it generally good to start on something small for practice (though small vessels are the hardest to draw well in SB style).

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Tempest
Post subject: Re: Missing current RN shipsPosted: February 2nd, 2015, 9:14 am
Welcome aboard and you've made a very good start :-)

German Capital Ship Projects of The First World War

[Profile] [Quote]
KimWerner
Post subject: Re: Missing current RN shipsPosted: February 3rd, 2015, 11:19 am
Welcome aboard. I'm agreeing with my fellow bucketeers; it's a very fine entrance you've made :D

All relevant Coat of Arms

[Profile] [Quote]
Judah14
Post subject: Re: Missing current RN shipsPosted: February 3rd, 2015, 12:28 pm
Nice work!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 4  [ 33 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: