Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 6 of 9  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page « 14 5 6 7 8 9 »
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Battleship Yamato Aegis Modernization and RebuildPosted: August 21st, 2016, 7:11 am
Those JMSDF ships are so cool. I wonder why no one has drawn them!

[Profile] [Quote]
citizen lambda
Post subject: Re: Battleship Yamato Aegis Modernization and RebuildPosted: August 21st, 2016, 10:49 am
This ship keeps looking better with every iteration. Good job.

You make good points about the VLS, so I'm going to leave it at that, not having much left to add to the topic.
Nothing much to add on the added torpedo tubes either, which were the only functional problem I see at this stage. Still got a couple of other nitpicks that I should have touched upon earlier:
- Since you have a SPY-1 and regular Phalanxes, are radar-equipped SeaRAM really necessary? Can't you slave baseline Mk.48 RAM launchers to some of the other radars and the EO directors? That would double the missile loadout just by swapping launchers.
- What is the available width where your SSM launchers are sited? Is there enough to have the launchers firing outwards without the backblast tearing apart the launchers on the other side? If you have any doubt about that, the simplest solution is to rotate the launchers 180° have have them firing over the centerline, the second simplest is to build a central blast deflector like on the KDX-3.

[Profile] [Quote]
KWAM
Post subject: Re: Battleship Yamato Aegis Modernization and RebuildPosted: August 21st, 2016, 2:57 pm
Colosseum wrote:
I wonder why no one has drawn them!
Maybe it's time for me to start one then, if no one else is doing it.

Should draw some real designs to offset the stupidity of this one anyway.
citizen lambda wrote:
What is the available width where your SSM launchers are sited? Is there enough to have the launchers firing outwards without the backblast tearing apart the launchers on the other side? If you have any doubt about that, the simplest solution is to rotate the launchers 180° have have them firing over the centerline, the second simplest is to build a central blast deflector like on the KDX-3.
There should be enough room. Still do have some doubts about it though so I'll add some blast deflectors anyway for good measure.
citizen lambda wrote:
Since you have a SPY-1 and regular Phalanxes, are radar-equipped SeaRAM really necessary? Can't you slave baseline Mk.48 RAM launchers to some of the other radars and the EO directors? That would double the missile loadout just by swapping launchers.
This is a bit of a dilemma. One the one hand, the JMSDF does not (currently) operate the standard Mk 48 RAM, and some Arleigh Burke class ships in the USN use the SeaRAM instead of the Mk 48 even though they have the Aegis system.

On the other hand, the SeaRAM the JMSDF use are only fitted to their Izumo-class helicopter destroyers, which as far as I'm concerned are surface combatants in name alone. Because of this, there's no baseline for how such a system would be fitted to an actual surface combatant like an Aegis-equipped guided-missile battleship or one of their already existing Aegis destroyers. There's also absolutely nothing stopping them from operating the Mk 48 if they already use the SeaRAM.

I just don't know. Gonna need some more input for this.

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Battleship Yamato Aegis Modernization and RebuildPosted: August 21st, 2016, 3:33 pm
KWAM wrote:
Colosseum wrote:
Those JMSDF ships are so cool. I wonder why no one has drawn them!
Maybe it's time for me to start one then, if no one else is doing it.
Suprisingly there are acqually quite many of them in the archive. Mostly drawn by Novice a few years ago. Some might benefit from a refresh (i.e. update to the original drawing without the need of redoing them from scratch), others might need to be redone. The modern Akizuki had been drawn by Gunship, but as far as I know he never submitted it for uploading. Obviously there are indeed some gaps in the JMSDF roster, as surely nobody has drawn the new Izumos, and a few older vessels are missing. I too, when I joined shipbucket four years ago, had initially thought about drawing a few of the JDS ships (the 1982 Hatsuyuki class still lies in my worklist even despite I have no idea if I will actually ever draw it...) but apparently I had serious problems to obtain decent linedrawings to start out something -completing the detailing through pictuers, those are pleny instead-. So after refreshing the Atago DDG I've focused solely on the IJN.

Anyway you appear to have all the necessary skills KWAM, having you updating or drawing modern Japanese ships would gratly benefit them and the site as a whole. Best wishes for your next drawings!

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
KWAM
Post subject: Re: Battleship Yamato Aegis Modernization and RebuildPosted: August 21st, 2016, 5:12 pm
BB1987 wrote:
Suprisingly there are acqually quite many of them in the archive. Mostly drawn by Novice a few years ago. Some might benefit from a refresh (i.e. update to the original drawing without the need of redoing them from scratch), others might need to be redone. The modern Akizuki had been drawn by Gunship, but as far as I know he never submitted it for uploading. Obviously there are indeed some gaps in the JMSDF roster, as surely nobody has drawn the new Izumos, and a few older vessels are missing. I too, when I joined shipbucket four years ago, had initially thought about drawing a few of the JDS ships (the 1982 Hatsuyuki class still lies in my worklist even despite I have no idea if I will actually ever draw it...) but apparently I had serious problems to obtain decent linedrawings to start out something -completing the detailing through pictuers, those are pleny instead-. So after refreshing the Atago DDG I've focused solely on the IJN.
The fact that Gunship never uploaded explains why I could never find it in the archive, and thought that it hadn't been done before.

Probably going to start with the Izumo though. The fact that nobody is drawing it is honestly a bit concerning when we look at how important those ships are.

But first, I still need to finish my Yukikaze based off of Darth Panda's Kagero. Not having a proper version of Yukikaze, probably the most famous IJN destroyer of WWII, in the archive is a goddamn crime. What's interesting is that Darth Panda's drawing is labelled as Yukikaze on the namecard inside the drawing, but the filename says Kagero and the hull markings belong to Kagero.

[Profile] [Quote]
Cascadia
Post subject: Re: Battleship Yamato Aegis Modernization and RebuildPosted: August 21st, 2016, 5:36 pm
As far as I can remember, Gunship never uploaded his Akizuki drawing as it was not following the shipbucket rules. At least in the details, as his railings are not shipbucket standard railings. So it still needs some refinements.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Battleship Yamato Aegis Modernization and RebuildPosted: August 21st, 2016, 5:41 pm
As Cascadia say, something that are common to gunship.

Gunship is funny:
- he draw a ship
- he post it in the forum.
- we comment.
- he "sometimes" answer.
- he never add it to the upload session topic in the forum. (do he think that we automatically, will load up his drawing, for him!?!)

Basicly: he came, he posted, he disappear.

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Battleship Yamato Aegis Modernization and RebuildPosted: August 21st, 2016, 5:54 pm
Anyway, it appears that Gunshipìs Akizuki original drawings got resized by pothobucket. So, unless someone had saved them they cannot be used as a start point for a fixed version.
KWAM wrote:
But first, I still need to finish my Yukikaze based off of Darth Panda's Kagero. Not having a proper version of Yukikaze, probably the most famous IJN destroyer of WWII, in the archive is a goddamn crime. What's interesting is that Darth Panda's drawing is labelled as Yukikaze on the namecard inside the drawing, but the filename says Kagero and the hull markings belong to Kagero.
I'd like to help with Yukikaze, but I have very few sources for the Kageros. I'm interested in drawing the Yuugumos (algready got underway with Hayashimo) and Shimakaze (especially). I might try with the Matsu/Tachibana class too eventually.

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
KWAM
Post subject: Re: Battleship Yamato Aegis Modernization and RebuildPosted: August 21st, 2016, 6:26 pm
heuhen wrote:
do he think that we automatically, will load up his drawing, for him!?!
Actually this is something I've been meaning to ask, how should I go about getting something uploaded to the archive? This drawing is getting to the point that it's pretty much done save for a few small details, and I've already mentioned how I wanted to get a Yukikaze and some more JMSDF ships in there as well.
BB1987 wrote:
I'd like to help with Yukikaze, but I have very few sources for the Kageros. I'm interested in drawing the Yuugumos (algready got underway with Hayashimo) and Shimakaze (especially). I might try with the Matsu/Tachibana class too eventually.
Right now I'm mainly going off of this image which SHOULD represent her in her 1945 form.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Battleship Yamato Aegis Modernization and RebuildPosted: August 21st, 2016, 6:33 pm
KWAM wrote:
heuhen wrote:
do he think that we automatically, will load up his drawing, for him!?!
Actually this is something I've been meaning to ask, how should I go about getting something uploaded to the archive? This drawing is getting to the point that it's pretty much done save for a few small details, and I've already mentioned how I wanted to get a Yukikaze and some more JMSDF ships in there as well.

AU and personal design aren't loaded up to the archive.

before we had an topic, where we added the real world drawings we wanted loaded up, then admin (Golly) would load it up at some time. But Colosseum and his friends are working on a new frontpage, with a totally different upload section.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 6 of 9  [ 83 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 14 5 6 7 8 9 »

Jump to: